How often do you practice?

This is a discussion on How often do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I assume most of the people in this forum have gone through some kind of defensive handgun training. The LEOs and military of course, have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you practice?

I assume most of the people in this forum have gone through some kind of defensive handgun training. The LEOs and military of course, have had way better training than civilians like me.

I was wondering how often do you go to the range to practice? I go every 2 weeks without fail and I feel I am getting a little better and learning something new every time.

Do any of you have a training schedule (even if you are civilians)?
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

since there is an ammo shortage, not at all
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Less range time...more course time...could do all a lot more than I do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Two to three times per week about 15 minutes each with primary and BUG; dry-fire with laser at 12-20 ft. distance. Red dot movement amplified by this distance provides wonderful biofeedback to reduce muzzle movement during trigger pull. Include point shooting and sighted shooting.

Once a month live fire to remind my senses what it sounds and feels like when the gun goes bang. Ammo costs and availability have eliminated my match shooting.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I assume most of the people in this forum have gone through some kind of defensive handgun training. The LEOs and military of course, have had way better training than civilians like me.

I was wondering how often do you go to the range to practice? I go every 2 weeks without fail and I feel I am getting a little better and learning something new every time.

Do any of you have a training schedule (even if you are civilians)?
    I shoot at least once a week. In the summer, It is sometimes hot in the indoor range I am a member at. They have to bring in outside air to manage the lead. It can sometimes be as hot as the outdoor temperature or more, then I shoot less.

I usually try to shoot for about an hour. Usually about 200 or more rounds. Normally I shoot 3-4 different pistols and always one revolver.

Then I spend the evening or next day cleaning, not my favorite chore but necessary.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I dryfire every day. When I am not in training season, I like to shoot IDPA at least once a month.

My current regimen, done once with laser and once without. I adapted this from the Atlanta Police Department Second Weapon Course.

At three yards.

From pocket holster.

3 shots; 2 body, one head - then 2 shots head on hostage taker - in six seconds.

From pocket holster - Strong Hand Only.

- 3 shots; 2 body, one head - in three seconds.
    support hand.

From Low Ready. Support Hand Only.

- 2 shots center of mass - in two seconds.

At seven yards.

From pocket holster.

3 shots; 2 body, one head; step right, then 2 shots head on hostage taker - in seven seconds.

From pocket holster.

3 shots; 2 body, one head; step left, then 2 shots head on hostage taker - in seven seconds.

From pocket holster.

3 shots; 2 body, one head; kneel, then 2 shots head on hostage taker - in seven seconds.

Takes about 2 1/2 minutes to do, so I do it every day before I walk out the door.

I shoot weekly sometimes twice a week and shoot anywhere from 2-300 rounds of 22 and around 100 rounds or more each 9mm and 45 ACP,with some 40 every now and then,I reload so ammo availability and cost hasn't hit me yet since I cast and lube all my bullets except 223.100 rounds of 9mm 40 or 45 still costs me about $5.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I haven't shot in a while, mostly because my wife just gave birth to our first child and I've been spending as much time with her as possible. I have a decent amount of ammo, but I have held off from having to buy more until I can buy my wife a gun most likely next month and then we'll go do some shooting together.

I try and maintain once a week as my habit. I was fortunate enough to get into some simunitions training with the local and state police in college. I was always the BG but I think it really helped my use of cover and shooting under stress.

FYI LEO's are kinda poor sports when it comes to shooting them, especially when you double tap both officers before they get a shot off.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    try to when ever i can
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I still shoot matches twice a month, and try to shoot on the off-weeks also.
    I also reload.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I can't afford to shoot as much as I like, but I try to get out at least twice a month. Some months that squeezes down to once. It's not ideal but it is practical.

At our range you can't train with movement. So we go out into the desert to train with movement and timing as often as we can. It's a tad warm in Arizona in the summers to go out into the heat, so we take those months off. :)

Headhunter, I like your drill. I may steal it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Less often than I used to. Before the turn of the year, it was two times a week. Back then, my work schedule allowed that and the club range was two miles from me, and I bought ammo on a weekly basis as it was readily available. Now? Everything has changed. I adapt rather easily.

I go to the woods RANGE at least once a week, Shoot my EDC 20 rnds & thats double taps from concealment. Lately it's been HOT.So I go in the early AM, Late afternoon & bring plenty of bug juice!! H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Yes, I am stealing Headhunter's drill as well! Thanks all for the useful info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links