Right handed...left eyed - Page 2

Right handed...left eyed

This is a discussion on Right handed...left eyed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Highpower Assuming that you wear safety glasses of some sort while shooting, give this a try. Try putting regular tape on your ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Right handed...left eyed

Quote Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
    Assuming that you wear safety glasses of some sort while shooting, give this a try. Try putting regular tape on your left lense. It's enough that you can still shoot with both eyes open, but the tape doesn't allow your left eye to focus. In short order, your brain will force your right eye to take over and all you'll focus on is what the right eye sees. It really works, we've been doing it for years on the skeet and trap fields.
    Great idea - I am going to give this a try next time im at the range. I put another 200 rnds through the gun on Friday. It got a little better, but my first two shots after a quick draw (simulating self defense) were my worst two shots because i was having issues.

Obviously that is a problem that is worth practicing to solve. If i cant eliminate my threat all my gun is good for is intimidation...

Thanks for all the other tips i will keep trying different methods to figure out what works best for me...

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by BOPLEO View Post
    Point your right pointer finger at an object and focus on the tip of that finger (with both eyes open). You'll find your dominant eye will naturally take over when you focus on the tip of your finger. In the beginning you can cant your head slightly to the right to give your left eye an advantage.
    Excellent advice.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

cmb
    Seem like we should start a support group... Right handed, left eye dominant, and can only close my right eye. I too shoot rifles open sight left handed or right handed with an eye patch, they are 2 bucks at walmart. I shoot trap, skeet, and clays much better right handed thats why I tried the patch. Worst thing is they call me the pirate, arghhh! other than that not to bad. I use scope rings which raise the scope also which gives me the option of either. Pistols I prefer the weaver stance because it places my dominant eye more in line, but I work at shooting both eyes open. I find after several hours though my left eye taking over... I alos shoot better in better light or with bright glasses, helps me see the front sight better...

Quote Originally Posted by nitrohead View Post
    Same deal with me. I learned at an early age to shoot rifles and shotguns left handed (not only am I left eye dominant, but I can only wink my right eye). Pistols, however, I still shot right handed, both eyes open. I train both eyes on the front sight, aligning the blurry rear sight, and placing that sight picture center mass of the blurry target. At 15 yards, 9 and 10 ring every time. Now, one thing I discovered is that my natural point of aim is slightly to the left, so I have to point just a hair right; no aiming necessary, same result.
    I too learned to shoot longarms left handed, but can shoot a handgun with either hand.

I prefer to use the right hand for handguns because this makes the transition to a longarm, from a handgun, quicker, smoother and easier for me.

Just something to keep in mind if you want to integrate longarms into your defensive rotation.

Biker

I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I forced myself to shoot right handed when I was younger when I couldn't figure out why my aim sucked so bad firing a little .22 rifle when I was about 8. Haven't had a problem since.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Right handed mostly but always left eyed. Practice practice practice, although with rifles I fire left handed and left eyed. Pistols right hand left eye. Still practice.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

It's simple men ,turn your head slightly to the right with your right eye look over the bridge of your nose , focused on your front sight and target. it takes practice , but do not ever close either eye, bad ju ju . BOPEO is the only other one to get it right.

I got stabbed in my shooting eye and now blind in that eye. I tried shooting on the opposite side but I definetely will not win anymore Marksman awards

I can see the red light from the Crimson Trace Laser on my carry weapon fine though!

This really seems to be a non-issue to me.

From the moment I ever picked up a handgun, I always shoot with both eyes open. Only recently did I realize I was cross-eyed dominant.

Weather you use a Weaver or Isosceles stance, the solution is easy and the same :

JUST PUT THE GUN IN LINE WITH YOUR DOMINANT EYE

I always felt better with the weaver, and I simply rotate my wrists about 5 degrees or so laterally so the sights line up naturally with my left eye. When I close my dominant eye, it falsely appears that I am slightly rotated away from my natural point of aim. When I close my non-dominant eye, it looks just like when I shoot . . . natural and easy point of aim.

I always just did this without thinking. I actually had to stop and think how to break down what I was doing so I could respond to this post.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Learn how to shoot with both hands. This could save your life.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Qualified with my M16A1 and M16A2 as an expert many times over 26 years. Hunted with shotguns, muzzleloaders and bows for over 30. Never knew I was left eye dominant until I picked up a pistol. Shoot right handed and lean your head over until your left eye is over sight and you'll hit POA. I shoot pistols with both eyes open.

The best way to find which eye is dominant is to keep both eyes open and line your thumb up with an object in the distance. Alternate closing each eye, whichever eye keeps the thumb on the target is the dominant eye.

Common problem

Many people have an eye dominance problem and don't know it. I mostly right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot rifle, shotgun, and pistol either right or left handed. I qualified expert with both rifle and pistol every year my entire military career.

I carry in a right handed configuration but I practice both right and left handed shooting. The only real problem I have noticed, if I don't practice a lot, my isosceles stance tends to drift into a Chapman due to drawing right handed and left eye dominance.

Anyone who is not already a very experienced shooter, and by that I mean thousands of rounds fired in a well organized training plan, I recommend getting professional training.

All the online advice in the world, does not equal one week in a good training academy. A professional instructor worth his salt will find and help you correct things, you would otherwise never know you were doing wrong. Remember, you must be aware of what the problem is, before you can correct it.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

U. S. Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Endowment Member
    Firearms Instructor

A Patriot911 wrote this:

All the online advice in the world, does not equal one week in a good training academy. A professional instructor worth his salt will find and help you correct things, you would otherwise never know you were doing wrong. Remember, you must be aware of what the problem is, before you can correct it.
    I agree.

I would like to take the time to say howdy to Patriot.

Biker

I am right handed but left eye dominant and because of this I never could manage to shoot a rifle/shotgun as well as I could a handgun. In the military I never qualified above marksman with the M-1 or M-14, whereas I always qualified expert with the .45, 38, or 9 MM. Somehow though I did qualify expert with the M-16 rifle. Go figure?
    Back in my day ('65 - '69) the USMC wouldn't let you qualify left handed but I never shot that way anyway.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links