Right handed...left eyed

This is a discussion on Right handed...left eyed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a handgun, I am right handed/left eye dominant. I simply tilt the head a bit so the dominant (left) eye can focus on the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Right handed...left eyed

With a handgun, I am right handed/left eye dominant. I simply tilt the head a bit so the dominant (left) eye can focus on the sights. For those that have the right hand/left eye dominant situation, it might feel a bit awkward at first, but the improved visual acuity should provide for faster sight pickup and greater precision in sight alignment. My weapons use is primarily defensive handgun and I see absolutely no reason to start trying to retrain my eyes or make left side shooting my primary side. Stance does not affect what I do and how I perform. I have no problem with rifle using my right eye and closing my left. Also, no problems with shotgun as I keep both eyes open. JMHO.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I'm left eye dominant too.

I shoot rifle and shotgun right handed and sight with my right eye.

I shoot handgun right handed keeping both eyes open, but sighting primarily with my left eye.

Practice, practice, practice!!
    I'm the same, but I need more practice. I find myself closing my left eye sometimes. At least I still focus on the front sight.
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

I know that Nutnfancy is left-eyed. He's at youtube.com/nutnfancy. You might contact him. I think he does shoot right-eyed though when sighting.

Cross Dominant

OK, I'm learning. As a lifelong right hander, I have found it impossible to sight a pistol in my right hand with my right eye. I am forced to close my left eye in order to see a target. My left eye on the other hand is great, I can keep both eyes open.

I talked to a friend who is a competition pistol shooter, and he explained that I, like himself, is cross dominant. He suggested that I (since I'm really just beginning to learn how to shoot pistols) learn to shoot left handed, that way both eyes are open.

Any other cross dominants out there? Share your experience...

me too

I shoot with my right hand, left eye dom. I use my left eye only. I have been shooting 1911s for 10 years, accurately!

I'm a member of that club too, although I didn't know until I picked up a pistol for the first time. Shot long guns with no problem at all. I shoot pistols right handed and tilt my head until my left eye is in-line with the sight, focusing on the front sight of course. No problems hitting POA with both eyes open. Practice is key.

It's just my opinion of course but I try to avoid doing unnatural fixes like patches over the right eye or learning to shoot left handed to compensate. Train how you'll fight. The more you rely on your natural mechanics and training, the more successful the outcome.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I hold pistols front center, so there is no eye dominance issue, other than an occasional slight tilt of the head as necessary, and sometimes squinting the right eye just a bit. With handguns, I just don't understand the trouble folks have with cross-dominance. FWIW, I don't use a Weaver stance, that favors one side. Perhaps it is those folks using Weaver having the most problems?

I have this challenge. Nothing more emasculating than being told by the RSO that I'm "cross dominant and limp wristing". To non-gun people that must sound very different.

Not a problem with pistols but last night was at range with a friend using his AK-47 and Mossberg 500, and I was forced to use my right eye. I think I'll start doing some exercises to let this be more natural.

Like you, I've always shot right handed & left eye dominant for sighting. I have practiced drawing my handgun and always seem to use my left eye for sighting. I've been this way for as long as I can recall.

Of course this changes when I fire long guns. In this case I use my right eye for sighting. Interesting!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I have never known it to have been an issue in a real shooting. I shoot with both eyes open since you cannot close one eye under that much stress. Think about trying to close one eye during a traffic accident, not likely- George

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    George, the traffic accident example was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by rock.45 View Post
    it's simple men ,turn your head slightly to the right with your right eye look over the bridge of your nose , focused on your front sight and target. It takes practice , but do not ever close either eye, bad ju ju . Bopeo is the only other one to get it right.
    bopeo ????
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

So, If any of you were just starting out in the handgun world (like myself) and had the right handed/left eyed issue, would you choose to learn to fire a handgun left handed? Or is this just one of those, "there is no wrong answer" questions.

I'm seriously considering learning to shoot with my left hand. I do not feel awkward handling the gun with my left hand and the motion to aim feels a bit smoother and more natural with the pistol in my left hand...

Time will tell, I suppose.

Went to the range this afternoon. Shot 150 rounds Lefty. Felt pretty good took some time to concentrate on my grip and trigger pull... Got more consistent and accurate by the end of the session. Might be on to something here, for beginners, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by moparoutlaw View Post
    So, If any of you were just starting out in the handgun world (like myself) and had the right handed/left eyed issue, would you choose to learn to fire a handgun left handed? Or is this just one of those, "there is no wrong answer" questions.

I'm seriously considering learning to shoot with my left hand. I do not feel awkward handling the gun with my left hand and the motion to aim feels a bit smoother and more natural with the pistol in my left hand...

Time will tell, I suppose.

Depends on what you are training for. Is it to shoot nice tight groups on paper or to defend yourself with a pistol? If it is the latter just focus on the threat and pull the trigger. In my professional opinion it is a non issue for combative pistol.- George

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links