Right handed...left eyed

Right handed...left eyed

This is a discussion on Right handed...left eyed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched before posting this and did find one similar, but that OP was for rifles.... I Learned how to shoot rifles and shotguns using ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Right handed...left eyed

I searched before posting this and did find one similar, but that OP was for rifles....

I Learned how to shoot rifles and shotguns using my right eye....I am also a bow hunter and my peep sight is my right eye (shoot a matthews if anyone cares). Scopes and bows i have no problem with both eyes open once they focus in...

Something about the sights on my glock is messing me up though. I am having a really hard time keeping my left eye from taking over. I THINK i could probably just shoot with my left eye dominating but it leaves me in a kinda funny stance. I CAN shoot while keeping my right eye dominating but i have to really focus on my eyes, which is not what i need to be focusing on. Focusing on the front sight is all i need to focus on but the left eye keeps taking over bluring the FS....

Maybe a few hundred rounds will sort it out?

Any ideas?

I mean i could do the eye patch with a hole driving a jeep around an AF base like that one movie but would rather not...

VIP Member
    I'm left eye dominant too.

I shoot rifle and shotgun right handed and sight with my right eye.

I shoot handgun right handed keeping both eyes open, but sighting primarily with my left eye.

Practice, practice, practice!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

answer is practice, and more practice. Many shoot left eye dom with a right hand hold. I shoot left handed but do eveything else right handed due to left eye dominance.

You all can solve this problem. Go to the drug store and buy a cheap eye patch. Wear it when you are shooting at the range. This will solve your problems over time.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Senior Moderator
    A very simple and profound understanding is that if you close an eye.. BINGO... you only have one eye left with which to sight and therefore it is your dominant eye.

My husband is right handed and left-eye dominant and he struggled with this for years, even attempting to learn how to shoot with his left hand.

We finally went to a defensive pistol class where the instructor taught that for cross-dominant shooters, the best thing is just to close one eye to take the shot and open it again after the shot to look around and reevaluate the situation.

In combat you get tunnel vision anyway and while you are dealing with a threat you can't be focusing on something that's coming from left or right anyway, so for that split second when you need to sight and shoot, close the troublesome eye, shoot, reevaluate and continue as needed.

It was like music to my poor husband's ears. Finally, the battle was over. He still shoots right handed, but just closes his left eye briefly for that moment when he needs to shoot.

Problem solved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    A very simple and profound understanding is that if you close an eye.. BINGO... you only have one eye left with which to sight and therefore it is your dominant eye.

My husband is right handed and left-eye dominant and he struggled with this for years, even attempting to learn how to shoot with his left hand.

We finally went to a defensive pistol class where the instructor taught that for cross-dominant shooters, the best thing is just to close one eye to take the shot and open it again after the shot to look around and reevaluate the situation.

In combat you get tunnel vision anyway and while you are dealing with a threat you can't be focusing on something that's coming from left or right anyway, so for that split second when you need to sight and shoot, close the troublesome eye, shoot, reevaluate and continue as needed.

It was like music to my poor husband's ears. Finally, the battle was over. He still shoots right handed, but just closes his left eye briefly for that moment when he needs to shoot.

Problem solved.
    I too have this issue and still try to shoot with both eyes open, however, more and more find myself shooting with my left eye closed. Only issue I have is my vision is actually better in the left eye, which I believe is how this started for me.

I know a guy thats right handed, left eye dom. He just cants the pistol a little (not the 90 degree gangsta stuff) and shoots with his left eye.

+1 to highoctane - that helps a bunch.

If you want to take the time to really improve, take ten min/day to dry fire with both eyes open. It will be necessary at first to close your non-dominant eye for a second to pick out which set of sights/target is the real one, but with practice your brain will learn which is which automatically. It will take some dedication - a LEO firearms instructor said it took him 6 mos to get to the point where he thows the gun up and he sees the correct sight picture instantaneously - when he shoots double taps, the brass is only about 3 in apart in the air. The advantage is he keeps both eyes open to evaluate the situation and quicker target reacquistion. I've started on this and my groups decreased and my followup shots are quicker.

I was taugt the same thing is to cant the pistol. I shoot right hand but left eyed dom. I tilt the pistol towards the left so My dom eye is looking down the site
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    For handgun, I close my right eye.

For shotgun and rifle, I am actually learning to shoot lefty.

So far so good.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I wouldn't recommend closing an eye for self defense scenarios; limiting your peripheral vision is just not wise. Besides, the adrenalin dump will force both your eyes wide open in an actual encounter so train that way.

Point your right pointer finger at an object and focus on the tip of that finger (with both eyes open). You'll find your dominant eye will naturally take over when you focus on the tip of your finger. In the beginning you can cant your head slightly to the right to give your left eye an advantage.

Or, try focusing on a target first (10-20 feet away), then thrust your pointer finger toward the target, then focus on the tip of your finger. Your dominant eye will probably take it up first. You can eventually superimpose your pistol's front sight onto your target the same way.
    Last edited by BOPLEO; July 8th, 2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Add avatar

Assuming that you wear safety glasses of some sort while shooting, give this a try. Try putting regular tape on your left lense. It's enough that you can still shoot with both eyes open, but the tape doesn't allow your left eye to focus. In short order, your brain will force your right eye to take over and all you'll focus on is what the right eye sees. It really works, we've been doing it for years on the skeet and trap fields.

Same deal with me. I learned at an early age to shoot rifles and shotguns left handed (not only am I left eye dominant, but I can only wink my right eye). Pistols, however, I still shot right handed, both eyes open. I train both eyes on the front sight, aligning the blurry rear sight, and placing that sight picture center mass of the blurry target. At 15 yards, 9 and 10 ring every time. Now, one thing I discovered is that my natural point of aim is slightly to the left, so I have to point just a hair right; no aiming necessary, same result.

MJK
    I'm a left handed shooter that had to train my left eye to be dominant. I use both eyes inside about 7 yards and can usually double tap inside the thoracic triangle in about 2 seconds from a concealed draw. As the need for precision increases with range I slow down and transition to one eye with a traditional sight picture.

Until I read these messages I never realized something. I've always been right handed and left eye dominant. I can use my right eye but it turns out I'm left eye dominant. It's amazing how this never occurred to me until now. After shooting all these years I suddenly realize that I'm left eye dominant. Interesting!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links