Pepper Spray

Pepper Spray

This is a discussion on Pepper Spray within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Besides my trusted .38 special and .45 ACP I am also carrying Sabre Pepper Spray. Small enough to fit in your pocket and also an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray

Pepper Spray

Besides my trusted .38 special and .45 ACP I am also carrying Sabre Pepper Spray. Small enough to fit in your pocket and also an additonal layer of defense. Just wanted to get people's thoughts. For $14.00 cannot go wrong. Also is great for when I go to NYC since my pistols are not valid to carry there. Insane

Senior Moderator
    The varying levels of defensive response are certainly something to consider. I have had pepper spray for a long time.

True that with the adding of tools you also have to add more knowledge, understanding and wisdom as far as how and when to use one over the other but a less-than-lethal option is always good to have.

I got one of those keychain triple sprays a couple of days ago. Bought one for my best friend earlier this year, and she always carries it with her. Since my incident with the loose dog (that I ended up drawing on), and the idiot meth head downstairs in my apartment complex.....me or the GF will be carrying this. Options are always good.

If you decide to carry (your brand) of pepper spray, buy an extra one and use it...how far does it spray, how hot is it...spray into a wind and if you get a blow back, can you still operate your defense system?
    The time to find out these things is not the first time that you HAVE to use it to defend yourself. OMOYNV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Apparently it shoots 8 to 10 feet. I am sure if there is a strong wind, upwind shooting may be an issue. Ouch that stings!

Pepper spray works well most of time but does not work all the time or on all people. My son has gone through the Army gas chamber so many times that pepper spray does not affect him. So if you carry pepper spray you should prepare a “plan B” if you have to use it because it might only make them mad and not put them down or chase them off. I do carry both a .45 and spray when I walk in the evenings, with the spray mainly to ward off aggressive dogs, but I am not totally sold on it always working on animals either.

In my part of the world we have both grizzly bear and black bear roaming our woods with grizzly bear encounters becoming more common every year. The “Bear Experts” swear that pepper spray is better than a firearm in ending an attack but people are finding that bear spray is not 100% affective. The last few years ago we have had incidents where people used the spray on a bear and it did not stop or end the attack. One guy, who was bow hunting, used a whole can on a bear and he still ended up close to death and hours in surgery. He told a number of people afterward he wished he had taken his bear spray and his .44 so he would have had a “plan B” option.

It is said that the way to tell the difference of black bear scat and grizzly bear scat is that black bear scat has the remains of berries and twigs in it and smells awful. Grizzly bear scat has pieces of pack cloth, little tinkle bells and Subaru or Land Rover keys in it and smells like pepper spray.

Anyway, when I do carry pepper spray I also have in mind a “plan B”.

We learned in class that 20% of the population is not affected or is not incapacitated by pepper spray. The other 80% of the population can be incapacitated to those who have severe reactions to pepper spray.

And about 100% of people will still be able to beat your ass if they get their hands on you before or after getting sprayed. OC does nothing against the mechanism of the attack. Be sure to spray and move, not admire your handy work. If all else fails smash their head with the can.- George

Also be sure that you replace your pepper spray every so often (double check the shelf life stated by the manufacturer, or the expiration date if it has one). Probaby 3 years is maximum effective shelf life. Things like extreme temperatures (e.g. left in your car in the summer) can shorten the life.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    And about 100% of people will still be able to beat your ass if they get their hands on you before or after getting sprayed. OC does nothing against the mechanism of the attack. Be sure to spray and move, not admire your handy work. If all else fails smash their head with the can.- George
    I would dispute the 100%. I have a best friend who was once a member of the NM Mounted Patrol. He was assisting the State Police and State Park Rangers at a lake over a 4th of July week-end.
    During the day there was a disturbance where several men were drinking and causing problems with other campers.

My friend responded alone, and was confronted by 4 men. After some exchanges one of them, a large muscular man, said he was going to whip his // and throw him in the lake. He could have done it too. He and two of his friends advanced on my buddy, and he gave each a shot of OC Foam.
    He said that as soon as the foam hit them each one went to his knees and was incapacitated. They offered no more resistance and were arrested.
    If it is so ineffective why do LEO carry it? Other of my LE friends claim it is effective on most people.

I have no personal experience, but I do believe that by far most people will be incapacitated at least long enough to escape or use another form of protection.

PS From my experience testing what I carry even the slight "blowback' renders me almost helpless, and if I got a shot in the face I would be completely helpless.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    If it is so ineffective why do LEO carry it? Other of my LE friends claim it is effective on most people.

I have no personal experience, but I do believe that by far most people will be incapacitated at least long enough to escape or use another form of protection.

Regards,
    Jerry

Mercop didn't say that it wasn't effective, he said that if someone gets their hands on you after being sprayed, they can still hurt you if you don't get out of dodge.

I've been sprayed many times in the military. The stuff works, but it's not magic. Like anything else, you need to be mindful of it's capabilities as well as the limitations.

BTW......I'm an OC fan. I think anyone that carries a lethal form of self-defense should carry and be familiar with a less lethal form as well.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    There was an account whereby a civilian was confronted in an aggressive manner and he pulled his gun when he feared for his life. The aggressor was not displaying a physical weapon although a reasonable threat of being overpowered was perceived. He was afraid that if attacked, his gun could be found and used against him.
    Perhaps, an alternate plan or device may have helped.

Anyway, I have tried out a few different spray devices and the only one I will use is the Kimber PepperBlaster. It’s accurate and cleaner than any other civilian device I’ve found. I purchased two for my female friends and once they viewed the online videos, they were sold. Granted, it is larger and more expensive than the keychain devices although they are superior in every other way. In fact, I feel that many of these small little cans are more of a placebo in comparison. For sure, if the situation permits I would much rather spray or tase an assailant than to shoot them.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; August 3rd, 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post

I have studied several OC devices and the only one I recommend is the Kimber PepperBlaster. It’s accurate and cleaner than any other spray device I’ve tested. I purchased a few for my female friends and once they see the online videos, they’re sold. Granted, it is larger than the keychain devices although they are superior in every other way. In fact, I feel that many of these small little cans are more of a placebo in comparison.

Interesting. I specifically do not like the PepperBlaster, but everyone's different. I find 2 shots far too limiting and the "projectile" type of delivery less accurate than the more intuitive "spray and adjust" that you get with a cannister delivery.......especially if the user is moving (as they should be) or trying to employ it from a retention position.

My personal preference is a 2 oz Fox Labs.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    This is exactly why the user should be familiar with how the body reacts to pepper spray. Provided he/she is not allergic to it, exposure at some point is the best learning tool. Know what you bought...is it foam, is it stream, is it conical, is it oil based or water based, etc. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

If/when you use it, there's almost a 100% chance you'll be contaminated/exposed. Knowing how to fight through defensive exposure is as much a life saving tool as knowing how to properly use it.

In extremely close proximity, an assailant will likely fight harder if reaction is immediate, simply because they can no longer truly fight. It's a physical reaction as opposed to aggression. It's important to know that OC does take longer to "cook" to be able to work on some folks which may result in them becoming very hostile and aggressive. Take note of the 2 underlined sections in my post, they're important for pepper spray users.

BTW, if you're alergic....don't carry the stuff! Taser C2 is an option for those who are alergic to OC and when a firearm is not a current option.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Interesting. I specifically do not like the PepperBlaster, but everyone's different. I find 2 shots far too limiting and the "projectile" type of delivery less accurate than the more intuitive "spray and adjust" that you get with a cannister delivery.......especially if the user is moving (as they should be) or trying to employ it from a retention position.

My personal preference is a 2 oz Fox Labs.
    I agree, these spray devices and their use is highly situational and I would ultimately prefer a wire-transmitted taser.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links