Funny Incident Teaching Wife to Shoot

This is a discussion on Funny Incident Teaching Wife to Shoot within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (this was from another thread thought some would enjoy this...) My wife is now trained on a 9mm and the 380 and knows what to ...

Thread: Funny Incident Teaching Wife to Shoot

Funny Incident Teaching Wife to Shoot

(this was from another thread thought some would enjoy this...) My wife is now trained on a 9mm and the 380 and knows what to do and where to take all the kids should something disasterous occur. She is a great shot too, she was brought up around guns and shoots a mean ruger target pistol, as I was training her on other guns to find one she is comfortable with we moved to a standing position, no plugs, no glasses to get the feel... I loaded 2 rounds and told her to shoot the bowling pin, makes her draw/raise the gun and shoot, she does it all, hits the pin with the first shot at 10 yards and says "now what?"... I said well shoot the other pin I guess. Then I loaded her 4 rds and set up two pins and said take two shots at both whether they fall or not, she did... and you guessed it... they both fell! It's always fun when you can do things together, especially with firearms!

2. Remove Ads

Don't make her mad.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

sounds great clyde! :)

(get it, she's bonnie...)

If she was shooting without ear and eye protection that wasn't a great idea. Hearing loss is incremental and permanent. Loss of vision isn't easily repairable if at all. What you stand to lose is far greater than what you gain in training experience.

If that wasn't the case then sorry, just the way it read to me.

Seconded. Why you let her shoot without hearing protection is completely beyond me. I guess the thought of tinitus, that constant ringing in your ears that doesn't let you sleep, intrigues you so you wish to bestow that gift upon your loved one?

Whatever your reason, it was flawed. Takes but one shot to cause permanent and irreversible hearing damage.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Nice read.

I find women to generally be better and easier to teach than men. My wife, whom I didn't teach, shoots better than I do. I get three rounds touching she puts two through the same hole and the third touching.

She's not into guns, and doesn't care if she never shoots again, but does go out with me a couple of times a year just so we can do something together. I guess that's why I go out to eat with her too. She had never fired a gun before we got married, and was "anti". When I had a gun out on the table and she wanted it moved she would point at it and say, "Put that thing away." Now she just picks it up and moves it.

Biker

Like others said wear protection,in a SD situation you won't have time or notice but I had 11 fragments of brass removed from my right eye
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just like teaching your wife or girlfriend to ride a motorcycle or drive, I've found it much easier to have a trusted, qualified friend do the deed. No fights, no "I told you so" after you get home.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Just like teaching your wife or girlfriend to ride a motorcycle or drive, I've found it much easier to have a trusted, qualified friend do the deed. No fights, no "I told you so" after you get home.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was going to, but decided against it.

Biker

thanks for the hearing thing, we always shoot with plugs for me and muffs for her but I wanted her to hear the real life "bang" and have to communicate during and after. It was only a few rounds... I don't carry my plugs and glasses with me incase there is trouble and while they are close to our home defense gun, somebody in my house, my family in danger I will risk the hearing loss... She knew how to shoot before I was just familiarizing her on a larger caliber and the weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    thanks for the hearing thing, we always shoot with plugs for me and muffs for her but I wanted her to hear the real life "bang" and have to communicate during and after. It was only a few rounds... I don't carry my plugs and glasses with me incase there is trouble and while they are close to our home defense gun, somebody in my house, my family in danger I will risk the hearing loss... She knew how to shoot before I was just familiarizing her on a larger caliber and the weapon...
    Your intentions were good but please don't shoot without eyes and ears for training. As I said earlier, loss is cumulative and permanent even with "only a few rounds..." .

When you get into a real world situation, chances are you won't even hear your shot(s). It's a thing called auditory exclusion.

Remember, ya don't shoot yourself to see what it's like, don't risk your eyes and ears for that reason either.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Your intentions were good but please don't shoot without eyes and ears for training. As I said earlier, loss is cumulative and permanent even with "only a few rounds..." .

When you get into a real world situation, chances are you won't even hear your shot(s). It's a thing called auditory exclusion.

Remember, ya don't shoot yourself to see what it's like, don't risk your eyes and ears for that reason either.
    +1

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    All it takes is a single ejected casing hitting one of her eyes...

Not having eye/hearing protection in a real situation is a whole lot different than purposefully risking injury.

Links