Need some help with shot accuracy

Need some help with shot accuracy

This is a discussion on Need some help with shot accuracy within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today and shot my M&P 9c and my G19 and I'm shooting low and left--again. The usual target analysis says I'm ...

Red face Need some help with shot accuracy

Went to the range today and shot my M&P 9c and my G19 and I'm shooting low and left--again. The usual target analysis says I'm jerking or tightening my finger. I'm using a crush grip and I can't seem to break this habit. Anybody have any tips I can try? It is been consistent since I've starting shooting pistols.

What kind of grip do you use? I find the thumbs forward, with the suporting hand canted forward helps keep things in line.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I read something the other day, by a well known instructor, that a very tight grip on the gun may actually be good. It is finger control that you need to improve. You need to find a good finger position and grip that will allow a smooth and straight rearward pull of the trigger with no jerking.

In an email I received from USCCA today and the instruction was to practice with different finger positions on the trigger. Try shooting with the tip of your finger, then move to the center of the finger pad and finally use the joint at the first knuckle. See if you shoot better groups with one of those finger positions. Length of draw, I think its called, affects how one uses his finger to pull back. You need to pull the trigger back straight on its axis without any jerk. Don't anticipate the trigger break or recoil.

Dry fire (making sure you are unloaded!) at home is good practice. Find a mark or spot somewhere and practice trigger pull while making sure the sights remain aligned with the target mark. Experiment with finger placement and grip until you find a comfortable and repeatable trigger pull. Once found, practice this over and over and do it with live fire. Live fire will cause you to have to reaquire a sight picture.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Practice dry firing at a spot on the wall with,a coin on front of slide,practice squeezing trigger and keeping sights on target,any trigger jerking will cause the coin to move or fall off barrel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

dry fire dry fire dry fire. Also if you are short on ammo, and most are as it is hard to come by, try shooting more often but shooting less rounds. Shoot 50-100 rounds a session only loading 5 rounds per mag. This way you get enough rounds that you can make a decent group (or see what you need to correct) but you aren't shooting so much that you get tired half way through the mag. It also helps to extend those 50-100 round sessions as you do spend a bit more time reloading your mags.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.

George Mason

If you're a right handed shooter using a 2 handed grip and hitting @ 7 o'clock then basically you're jerking, yanking or slapping the trigger or anticipating when the gun will fire.

If your @ 6 or 9 o'clock, then there could be quite a few more issues to address.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I'm using a crush grip and I can't seem to break this habit.
    When you say "crush grip," I am assuming you mean Ayoob's recommended method. See: How to Shoot a Handgun Accurately.

The point of Ayoob's techniques are, above all, to stress-proof the mechanics of shooting, so that decent accuracy and control can be maintained when things blow sideways. He focuses on actions that rely on large-muscle motor movements, instead of relying on the smaller muscles and micro movements that are tough to maintain under stress. Theoretically, lots of simple, straightforward benefits to the techniques.

But, I'm with you. To this day, whenever I do a few extended sessions to attempt to get comfortable with the "crush" grip method, I simply can't do well with it. For me, it seems too much goes wrong because of all the induced stress in the hand and forearm. Perhaps I'm simply not strong enough to withstand it, but I am far, far more accurate (and comfortable) with a more-traditional Weaver stance and grip.

Incorrect control over the fingers, inability to reliably separate the trigger finger from the other fingers, inability to avoid folding the hand inward during trigger pull ... these are all things I begin to do soon after beginning a session using "crush" grip.

The way I break myself of doing "crush" grip and getting back to a more-traditional grip is: hold the gun in hand with the muzzle pointing down; grip strength is just over what's necessary to hold it in my hand; bring the gun up to my weak hand in a simple isosceles stance; push forward through the front sight to the target. Lots of dry firing and going through the motions of the stance and grip. Doing it until it's second-nature and the muscle memory knows only those movements. ("Crush" is so overpowering, to me, that it takes awhile to get back to traditional.)

Doing this a dozen times empty, dry-firing, gets me back in the swing of avoiding the "crush" sequence. Once everything's flowing again, I'll often vary between simple isosceles and Weaver. By this time, it comes simply and naturally. For whatever reason, "crush grip" for me overrides all "feel" for what plain isosceles and Weaver felt like, until I attempt to erase the feeling of "crush." Lots of dry fire and going through the sequence, as others suggest.

Tips: Dry Fire Drills.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Dry firing should help get you a bit. You may be anticipating and trying to hold down the gun during recoil.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks a ton, guys! I will try everything mentioned here and see if I can get this corrected. A bunch of great ideas and that is what makes this forum so good. I'll report back later on my progress.

Administrator
    How heavy is your trigger pull weight?
    If it's a stiff, heavy trigger - get it lightened up.

Links