Citizens' Academy

This is a discussion on Citizens' Academy within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone familiar with an ATF or FBI Citizens' Academy? Apparently they're free, but you have to apply. I learned about them after reading this article: ...

Thread: Citizens' Academy

Citizens' Academy

Anyone familiar with an ATF or FBI Citizens' Academy? Apparently they're free, but you have to apply. I learned about them after reading this article: Gunning for some fun, skills and insight - Los Angeles Times

I'll have to look into this. Maybe there's something in my area I don't know about, but they say you have to be a local leader in your community, so not just anyone can do it I suppose.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

2. Remove Ads

By the way, many local police departments also have "Citizen's Police Academy" as well. Here in Las Vegas when you graduate you get a tour of the local detention center, spend some time in the 9-1-1 dispatch center AND go for a "Ride Along" with a police officer. Not a bad deal if you ask me!

Check with your local police department. The one here in Las Vegas meets one day a week.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I have taken our local police "Citizens Police Academy" and it was very good. Never heard of one offered by the ATF or FBI but I would like to take that too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    My mom did the FBI Citizens' Academy at Quantico. She took me along for the last day of it.

That one day was a lot of fun. They talked about much of the training Special Agents go through, showed us their situation areas, and then we got to fire some full autos

I did enjoy the full-auto Thomson quite a bit

Apparently signing up isn't a big deal, you just have to do it a bit in advance so they can run a background check. They did run a background check on me as well for that one-day attendance.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Here in Las Vegas when you graduate you get a tour of the local detention center, spend some time in the 9-1-1 dispatch center AND go for a "Ride Along" with a police officer. Not a bad deal if you ask me!
    Woah. When you graduate high school? That's neat.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

I'd enjoy doing that.
    I'll search out the possibilities...
    -------------------------------------------------------
    A few minutes later...
    -------------------------------------------------------

I'm back...

Look here: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/ood/opca/outreach/citizens.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I have taken our local police "Citizens Police Academy" and it was very good. Never heard of one offered by the ATF or FBI but I would like to take that too.
    Ditto.

I did a local CPA this past winter/spring at 14wks. long and found it to be directly akin to a college course. It took me three years of effort to get in.
    I'd do an ATF or FBI course of same in a heartbeat if it was near me.

In Your Community
    FBI Citizens' Academy

Want to find out first hand how the FBI works? Hear how the Bureau tracks down spies and terrorists? Learn how to collect and preserve evidence? See what it is like to fire a weapon and put yourself in the shoes of a Special Agent making a split-second, life-or-death decision?

If you are a leader in your community, you just might be able to do that and more––through an FBI Citizens’ Academy, open for business in all 56 of our field offices.

Who attends? Business, civic, and religious leaders, each nominated by a Bureau employee or a previous Academy graduate. You must be at least 21 years old (with no prior felony convictions) and must live and work in the area covered by the field office sponsoring the academy. Please note: Because classified techniques used in criminal and national security cases are discussed, nominees must undergo a background check and get an interim security clearance.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/ood/opca/outreach/academy.htm
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I did our local PD's Citizen academy, and it was a great experience.

3 hour classes, 2 days a week, for 8 weeks.

Each night we got a crash course on stuff like offensive driving, witness questioning, narcotics, K9 unit, criminal law, non lethal weapons, firearms scenerio simulator, and SWAT. Definately check out your local area to see what they offer.

We can use a few more "TACKLEBERRYS" out there
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    That's cool, would love to do that....

I've also done the local "Citizens Police Academy". An eyeopening experience. Enjoyed "Sim" training and the "ride along". They are trying to work out an "advanced" Citizens Police Academy..I'm ready when it's available..
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Links