Looking for shooting tips to improve my rapid firing shot placement.....

This is a discussion on Looking for shooting tips to improve my rapid firing shot placement..... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If anyone has some info that they would like to share on shootings drills and techniques please share. Thanks....

Thread: Looking for shooting tips to improve my rapid firing shot placement.....

If anyone has some info that they would like to share on shootings drills and techniques please share. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It is a paradox - to go fast, first go slow. Work on form - consistent grip, trigger squeeze, front sight focus - first, and then slowly add speed.

I work on it with a small target (a 3" or 4" shoot-n-see or a playing card), and do two shot groups with the emphasis on hitting the target over speed, and the speed comes along by itself.

Matt

Assistant Administrator
    A valuable excercise I consider is draw and dry fire (empty gun of course!) with eyes closed - and once gun is up to sighting level open eyes and see how far off sights appear.

Practice this over and over, making grip adjustments until the presentation is all but aligned automatically. Once this is good in dry fire mode, apply it at the range. If you use DA/SA then shoot DA once after draw, he holster after decock - repeat often. This helps with DA accuracy. If SA then of course the drill practices safety sweep-off.

Another good drill - range only and live fire, unless you have laser grips - is draw and shoot from close retention - and fine tune the feel of the gun so you hit the target area each shot eventually.

This is all muscle memory tuning - well worth the time spent. This is one reason I suggest folks try and stick to one carry piece - use it, practice with it - make it feel part of you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It is a paradox - to go fast, first go slow. Work on form - consistent grip, trigger squeeze, front sight focus - first, and then slowly add speed.

I work on it with a small target (a 3" or 4" shoot-n-see or a playing card), and do two shot groups with the emphasis on hitting the target over speed, and the speed comes along by itself.
    +1.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    dryfire , lots of dryfire to include drawing and presenting the weapon to build muscle memory . When i was firearms instructor for LE i had new shooters start with 50 draw and double tap a night broken into two sets of 25 each a couple hours apart ( to prevent fatigue ) for a week then bump it to 100 presentations a night broken up as fatigue sets in for a week . After the homework fiew of them had any issues qualifying on a standard course for basic qualification and many seemed to be a step up on some of the old hands when we went on to more advanced drills .

My favorite drill.

Start at 5 yards. When I successfully complete the drill with all shots on target, I advance back in 5 yard increments and repeat drills in order out to 15y.

I start off with a front sight-press drill. Bring gun up and as soon as front sight is on target, press trigger, sight returns to target press again. As SOON as your front sight is on target press trigger. Gun up, front sight-press, front sight on target-press...Continue in this manner for one full magazine. This works on timing you gun's return to battery rate and you learn the pace of recoil.

Next I do this for double taps. Front sight on target, press-press (as fast as possible) front sight on target press-press. It doesn't matter where your sights are on your second shot, just press. It will be two quick shots, then when the front sight returns to the target press-press. Continue for one full mag. A good double tap is .25 seconds.

Same thing above but this time a triple tap.

Then do it for a four tap. Then a five tap. Walk it all the way up to a full magazine as fast as you can but still keeping all rounds on target. Great fun. Especially when you can burn through 19 rounds in 6 seconds or less.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Read Brian Enos' book. Learn to track your sights and only fire when you know you are on target. That and 30K rounds a year and you will be a Master class shooter in no time. Bill drills helped the most for me.
    Last edited by oregonshooter; April 19th, 2006 at 02:19 AM.

I found dry fire is a good place to start. And if I really focus on the front site I can get some nice tight shots fast.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

You guys are gonna have me shooting expert. Thanks!!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Wyatt Earp once told me that in a gunfight you should take your time, QUICKLY.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Moderator

Yeah, me too!!!

Just shoot using the best possible technique.

Remember: "Speed is simply efficiency of motion"

Links