USPSA Shoot as practice for CCW

This is a discussion on USPSA Shoot as practice for CCW within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long time listener first time caller.....wait wait....no that's not it...long time lurker first time poster! Ah that's it! At any rate this is a fantastic ...

Thread: USPSA Shoot as practice for CCW

Long time listener first time caller.....wait wait....no that's not it...long time lurker first time poster! Ah that's it!

At any rate this is a fantastic site! Thanks to everyone who contributes as I have learned a massive amount from others experience and knowledge.

I have handled, shot, and owned firearms for many years but I actually take my CCW course on 8-15-09. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas . In the mean time I have been preparing to undertake the enormity of this new responsibility. I have been reading everything I can find and analyzing different aspects of my life and how this will/may impact things.

Of course I have been going to the range to improve my accuracy etc; however, a static target behind a bench at a predetermined distance is far from anything near a potential real world scenario. The range I shoot at has a chapter of USPSA. I did not know what that was until recently.

A couple of weeks ago I went to watch a club shoot and was in ah. These guys were awesome! I knew right then I wanted to play too! Well I didn't have the equipment necessary so I have been collecting gear for a couple of weeks.

Long story short, I shot my first club match last night. WOW! What a blast! Pun intended. I actually did very well too. The thing I liked most was the discipline required and the application it offers to CCW.

There were two courses of fire and both were completely different. One course had two moving targets and a lot of "No shoot" obstacles, and the other had a lot of firing behind cover and mandatory mag changes.

After just one match I feel so much more comfortable with my weapon and I also recognize how much more work I need to do to prepare to CCW.

At any rate I had a very good time. I am so looking forward to my CCW class and of course receiving that golden identification card.

Again thanks to everyone here for their time and experience shared. I will be spending many hours reading here.

ajohn

Ajohn just keep in mind that USPSA and IDPA matches are no replacement for good training classes. They will hone your gun handling skills.

I've been carrying for about 7 months and have attended 4 or 5 defensive pistol matches at the range I belong to (not near as many as I would like to have). I find it great practice, about as close as you are going to get to the real thing. I know there is better training available nearer to the bigger cities in some states, but I'm in the sticks and broke so I make do.

BTW...you in Kansas also? I smell the land of oz reference but I'm not quite sure.

Joker1

Welcome to the forum!

Yes...welcome to the forum! Way I see it, is that shooting helps keep your edge...whatever edge you may have. Gets you to becoming more proficient with your carry pistol, and adept with the tool. Action or timed shooting makes you think on your feet and supplies a little bit of pressure. Can it help you in the real world and a possible defensive scenario? It all depends on how you look at it. Use what opportunities you are given for the best possible reasons.
    I'm in Kansas right now. Was in Lawrence today.

Welcome to Kansas Ramrod! Did you hit the gun show in Wichita?
    I hear it is a pretty good one.

Joker1

USPSA, IDPA and even SASS are good sports for practicing. Just get some proper self defense pistol training and use the games to practice. Remember to move on the draw if they let you and to looking around before you unload. They will let you be a "TACTICAL" as you want as long as you are safe and follow the rules. Do not expect to win matches practiceing defense but you can learn alot when that buzzer goes off.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Welcome to Kansas Ramrod! Did you hit the gun show in Wichita?
    I hear it is a pretty good one.

Joker1
    I didn't go that far, but it is my old home town. Kansas Coliseum had some good concerts and gun shows when I was there. I spent the weekend in the eastern part of Kansas, and I must say I like things there. Never know.

Joker1,
    You smelled correctly. I am in Mission.

Ram Rod,
    I read that you travel up this way frequently. I would love to meet sometime you are in Lawrence.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I cant wait till Saturday! This week will drag it feet kicking and screaming all the way. I am so excited to take my class!

The thing you have to remember with any type of action pistol sport, is that it's a game... even IDPA. If you don't get two in the A zone, the paper target isn't going to return fire. I'll have to quote ghawk249 and say that they aren't replacements for actual training/classes. I am now going into my 6th year shooting USPSA and I would not say anything to undermine or demean the sport I love, but the reality is the goals of the two are very different.

However (comma) there are some things these pistol type sports will do for you.
    1) Improve your gun handling skills, even under stress. Mind you it isn't the kind of stress similar to another person shooting back at you, but you are going against the timer in a competitive environment.
    2) It gets you out of shooting from a static position, in a square range. If you are at a good match, you'll be moving to cover, reloading while moving to cover, shooting on the move, kneeling while shooting, squatting and shooting through ports, running and keeping your gun unholstered and pointed in a safe direction, etc.
    3) You'll shoot at targets at varying distances, and you will have to learn to go from far targets to up close targets to mid length targets.

You may want to try IDPA, as the spirit of this sport is geared a little more towards "practical" personal defense. Race gear isn't used in IDPA, and there are more rules that govern how a person is to shoot a stage. In both cases, it's to create an environment that would seem more "realistic"... well not really realistic, but maybe plausible.

I hope your class went well :)

Sponsored Links