Transitioning from revolvers to 1911-type pistol

This is a discussion on Transitioning from revolvers to 1911-type pistol within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, I've been considering transitioning from carrying a S&W 640-1 on my belt to my ParaOrdnance C6.45. My current concern is when to switch ...

Thread: Transitioning from revolvers to 1911-type pistol

Transitioning from revolvers to 1911-type pistol

Hi folks,

I've been considering transitioning from carrying a S&W 640-1 on my belt to my ParaOrdnance C6.45.

My current concern is when to switch the safety off. Should I switch the safety off,

• When I unholster the weapon.
    • When I have a good sight picture and know that I have to shoot.

I'm sure that I'm going to have more questions like this. Is there a good text regarding this type of subject?

--Erwin

2. Remove Ads

Good question, but I am NOT a 1911 expert by any means. I have just started carrying one myself. But, I don't see any difference... I'll push of the safety whenever I'm ready to fire... or the situation dictates. Now that may be 1/4 of a second.

With practice and muscle memory, the safety will come off when your firearm clears the holster. I don't even think about the safety anymore, it's just part of the draw.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I flick my safety off after the gun has cleared the leather and the barrel is pointing downrange. That is done at almost waist level as I rotate, for lack of a better descriptive word, the gun towards the target as soon as I clear leather.

As I am pushing the gun out towards my target my support hand slides across my stomach and I grasp the gun when the barrel has passed my body plane.

The above only applies if I am shooting under a timeclock or a real life scenario. It's how I practice too. I don't necessarily recommend that anyone else do this. It is just what I do.

If you do decide to do this please get some coaching under the auspices of a qualified professional.

Biker

Safety comes off as it comes out of holster,booger hook stays off trigger until ready to fire,if threat is imminent IE gun in hand or shots already fired then as I'm coming on target finger is on trigger ready to squeeze
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The thumb safety is to prevent AD/ND when the 1911 isn't in your hand. Once it's in your hand, your brain & your trigger-finger take over the job.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My vote goes to the "safety off ASAP and trigger finger indexed alongside the weapon" With a little practice this will take your mind off what your thumb's doing and give you only two things to concentrate on. Sights and trigger function.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
    Hi folks,

I've been considering transitioning from carrying a S&W 640-1 on my belt to my ParaOrdnance C6.45.

My current concern is when to switch the safety off. Should I switch the safety off,

• When I unholster the weapon.
    • When I have a good sight picture and know that I have to shoot.

I'm sure that I'm going to have more questions like this. Is there a good text regarding this type of subject?

--Erwin
    Take the safety off when the weapon is unholstered.

Taking the safety off once you have a good sight picture is more than likely gonna' change that sight picture.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I do not move the lever to off-safe until the muzzle starts to orient itself toward a target. Once off-safe, however, I do not keep flicking it back and forth as the situation changes. This stuff of going back to on-safe repeatedly can become comical. I no longer use a high-thumb hold, at least not all the time, so "finger off trigger, indexed on frame" is my main safety once the gun is in hand. Depending on the circumstances, I may have the gun in-hand, with safety on, thumb on safety, for an extended period, but once the safety is wiped off, and the thumb horizontal below the safety, I am not likely to flip it back up to on-safe until I re-holster.

I know this may go against the grain of some of the tactical boys, who sound like an old-fashioned typewriter clacking as they on-and-off-safe repeatedly while moving. I am too old to care what the tactical boys think. The finger indexed on the frame worked for the sixguns I carried before the 1911, and worked for the Glocks I carried immediately after the 1911, and it works for the SIGs I usually carry now. ( I am back to the 1911 for occasional carry.)

Thanks to everyone...

I've been leaning towards this. It makes the most sense to me.

However, I do like the idea of swiping the safety off only when I know that I'm going to fire. This helps with the possibility that my weapon could be taken from me. My weapon could be less easily used against me.

Still, I'm realizing how much training and thought has to go into this possible transition. I just need to decide and then practice, practice, practice, ....

Again, thanks to everyone...

--Erwin

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    My vote goes to the "safety off ASAP and trigger finger indexed alongside the weapon" With a little practice this will take your mind off what your thumb's doing and give you only two things to concentrate on. Sights and trigger function.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
    I've been leaning towards this. It makes the most sense to me.

However, I do like the idea of swiping the safety off only when I know that I'm going to fire. This helps with the possibility that my weapon could be taken from me. My weapon could be less easily used against me.

Still, I'm realizing how much training and thought has to go into this possible transition. I just need to decide and then practice, practice, practice, ....

Again, thanks to everyone...

--Erwin
    IMHO, this is what is going to cause more difficulty than taking the safety off with removal from the holser...every time. You will realize this when the adrenaline hits...you may be caught trying to pull the trigger with no 'click-pow'.
    Think about it, if your safety comes off automatically out of the holster, now you just have a Glock.
    Holding back on the safety will only confuse your muscle memory.
    The only safety you need is the finger...again, OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just remember that the same principal applies to you and the assailant. If it takes him and/or her longer to make the firearm function it takes you longer also. Hoping he or she isn't familiar with the weapon you're using versus being able to use that weapon efficiently enough to keep him or her from taking it from you ain't a good plan.

Booger hook!! LOL!!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Part of my at home training(when I am home alone ONLY) is a draw/cover/shoot drill.
    I unload the gun in one room, double checking and det a timer for random interval. I go about my normal activities until that timer goes of. At that time I practice as if someone just broke in. Move to a position of cover as quickly as possible, while drawing and flipping off the safety in one motion. At htis point I would be ready to fire if it were a real event.
    This drill reinforces that motion of flipping off the safety as the gun clears the holster. By practicing the drill this way I am training the muscle memory consistantly, so that if I ever have to defend myself the habits are already in place.
    After a few on these mini-drills I do a bit of dry fire exercises, then reload and reholster.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links