Have you trained for malfunctions like this?

This is a discussion on Have you trained for malfunctions like this? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you trained for malfunctions like this?

Have you trained for malfunctions like this?

2. Remove Ads

If you shoot enough IDPA matches, you will see a 100 different variations of this. Look and learn - do and learn - learn
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Yeah except this one occurred while the good guy was being slammed up against the wall.

I practice drawing from cover on every range trip. My goal is to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    I practice drawing from cover on every range trip. My goal is to avoid that.
    Better yet train, rather than practice, drawing from cover at home using an empty gun or better yet snap caps, and do so for an hour at least twice a week if not 3 or 4 as I do.

As well train doing so using all manner of outer _under_ garment (not just bare skin beneath as is the case here) and do so using every one of your normal carry holsters not just the one typically worn to the range.

Mercop in this persons situation having been engaged at zero distance in full contact battle his first move should not have been to go for the gun. That is an easy and sure way to lose the gun and/or wind up being shot by ones own gun if even it is in ones own hand.

Rather use basic forearm, elbow, and knee strikes to back up the attacker and/or gain a bit of distance from the attacker if even momentarily so as to then better be able to draw and engage with a low retention hold point shooting into Deebo's pelvic and abdominal area with a fusillade of just outside of contact distance fire.

Man oh man though (!) a situation like this would be horrible because his only option is to reverse the draw, re-holster, and re-draw all while further trying to gain additional distance which is time. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Just tried this with my 2340, seems the fastest solution is to carry forward with the strong hand while transfering the gun to the weak hand.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    With the slide being out of battery can I assume that one shot was successfully fired in this instance?

This is why I carry my handgun OWB and specifically buy tall t-shirts whenever I can so they stay tucked in after I compulsively do so while putting them on. One less malfunction to happen when things go south, just like with my fixed blade EDC knife.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Nope, never have

Far better to practice not having a malfunction like that.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    My first thought is to agree with Janq. THAT is why unarmed combat training is every bit as important as firearms training. My goofy motto has always been "Springfield from twelve feet out, kenpo from twelve feet in." Drawing that close is a recipe for that kind of error and a good way to get killed with your own gun.

Learn some martial arts, how to gain a little distance and draw safely.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I will wear an IWB carry rig with an untucked over-shirt for IDPA matches in order to get practice with that setup now and again. One time I did that, I discovered that we had stages that day shooting from retention. For safety purposes, the shooter's off-hand was required to be gripping the back of the shirt collar to avoid any muzzle issues with the non-shooting hand.

Good thing I had done at least a little practice at home drawing one-handed with a cover garment. I am happy to say it worked flawlessly at that match and a couple similar setups since. I agree with Paul's comment about IDPA being a good place to figure out new ways your equipment can try to foul you up.

The accompanying comment is that, as an SO for our matches, I am shocked at the number of people who try to use a gun and holster on a really cheap belt, attached to ill-fitting pants, and shirts that won't stay tucked in. Last week's interesting near-disaster was an experienced shooter using a Colt 9mm 1911 with an after-market magwell. When he holstered, apparently a couple loose threads from the hem of his vest got caught in the small gap between the magwell and the frame. When he started to stow equipment, the vest pulled the gun almost far enough out of the holster to drop it. Thank goodness he was unloaded at the time.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

It happened during force on force and this was the situation- It is raining late at night and there is a power outage. You look outside and see you neighbor's side garage door has blown open (or so you think). He is on vacation and you decide to go check it with gun and light in hand. As soon as you light up the garage with the light you startle an intruder. He tries to rush past you to get out of the garage but the door closes, trapping you both. He slams you into the corner and starts pommeling you. The fight is on. The good guy was carrying in a Raven ACR appendix holster, the gun was a KWS Glock 17. He drew the gun and got the round off, until the lights were on he hand no idea what had caused the malfunction. He was also doing damage with his reaction side hand. For those of you who think it cannot happen you need to research Murphy's Law. Imagine if it had been a 1911, doubtful he would have even gotten the safety off, even with a light t-shirt.

How would this be a greater problem for a 1911?

The safety comes off during the draw as the gun begins to clear the holster. Cover has no affect on the function of the frame safety on autoloaders, 1911 or elsewise.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Nope I wear Hanes,my underwear never shows during a draw
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Nope I wear Hanes,my underwear never shows during a draw
    Good one!
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    ... It is raining late at night and there is a power outage. You look outside and see you neighbor's side garage door has blown open (or so you think). He is on vacation and you decide to go check it with gun and light in hand. ...
    This might sound obvious, but... might've been a better idea to stay inside, call 911, and watch from a window? You know, the whole "avoidance" thing?

Just a thought...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links