Other training? - Page 2

Other training?

This is a discussion on Other training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many moons back, I trained in Chinese Kenpo, followed by Wing Chung. Also got into some fencing. I kept what worked for me, tossed the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other training?

Many moons back, I trained in Chinese Kenpo, followed by Wing Chung. Also got into some fencing. I kept what worked for me, tossed the rest.

No use for anything that calls for going airborne, or anything that involves raising one foot above the waistline. A dojo ballerina, I'm not.

Yes, Gun Fu is also my current interest! But it is amazing how all the earlier training has stuck with me. It became a part of me, right down to the reflex level.

Just got to thinking about it, I did consider the gun to be my "last resort," but that moved up, one notch on the list. Now, the "gun grab" occupies that spot.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    No use for anything that calls for going airborne, or anything that involves raising one foot above the waistline. A dojo ballerina, I'm not.
    Well put
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I studied Goju-Ryu for more years than I care to think about, just makes me feel old. Picked up a little judo and jujitsu along the way. Competed and was nationally ranked in forms and fighting back in the day. I have gotten a lot grayer and a lot wider since than. I think it is time to start working out again. Going to start doing some action pistol shoots in the near future to help hone my shooting skills.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I study Tenshin Aikido and I'm a brown belt (1th Kyu) currently. It is difficult to move up in Tenshin Aikido because it is more demanding and I like it because it is non violent and basically it's strictly defense.

I also train in Defensive Tactics Technologies (DTT) for more real world situations that can happen and is not formal as Tenshin Aikido. Here is some info about DTT from my sensei.

''My goal with DTT is to fill a void that has been growing over the past several years in the defensive tactics training field. This program is unique in that it provides the Officer the possibility of Not getting Grabbed, Struck, or Taken Down.

DTT is the culmination of 26 years of training with many of the great masters of martial arts, among them and presently, Master Steven Seagal. With this experience and state of the art technology, we are able to provide a defensive tactics system that will take the Law Enforcement & Corrections Training community beyond the millennium."

I also dabble in Kendo and knife fighting. I do this all at the same Dojo so it is pretty convenient although I now live 65 miles away which makes it harder for me to get to class than it use to so I am going about half as much as I was.

I also have taken local advanced firearms courses and practice regularly.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Wing Chun here, too. I'd love to give Krav Maga a look, but there is no school for that around here. Maybe I'll find one when I get a new job and move to a bigger city.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

Northern Shaolin Kung Fu longer back than I care to remember. One ju-jitsu class; the instructor threw me on my head and I never went back. Now I just swim at the Y about 45-60 minutes three times minimum per week and shoot as much as I can afford. Anyone heard of ESI-Lifeforce?

I have military and martial arts training. I am also a professional mental health counselor. However, I do believe that if I am forced to go to empty hands or de-escalation if my weapon is gone or whatever, something has gone very wrong.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Black belts in TKD, Kenpo and Juijitsu. Studied several others during my travels. I've had training in impact weapons, edged weapons and Military and Law Enforcement USD.
    I'm currently studying JuiJitsu and TaiChi.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

In cop school I was taught TKD, BJJ, Dim Mak, Krav Maga, Greco-Roman wrestling; oh yeah, this was in FITNESS class. I wrestled in MS and HS, undefeated six years running. Got up to a high green in Karate as a kid. Master in Klik Pao.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I've just had the Keep It Simple Stupid self-defense. Never had the money for anything fancy, but I know enough to get my posterier out of trouble.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I used to be able to run really, really fast.

Now I look for someone around me I can trip.....

(boxing, a long time ago, but I do OK with a knife, too....)

That's funny randytulsa2
    I used to do Judo, Jujitsu, and Shotokan Karate. Now it's racquetball and shoot-a-lot.
    ...one jagged hole!

Formal training in TKD, informal in a couple others.

Military training, BG and Evasive Action Driving, member and section leader on entry team.

Now I do threat assesments and set up security for clients.

Shot as much as I can.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm a big guy with a deep voice. I live with 3 dogs, one of which is kinda unruley, so yelling authoratatively comes naturally. Usually scares the dogs. haha Other than that, a few years ago I used to be a bouncer (Fast Eddies in Fairfax, VA - still my fav. bar) which teaches you a LOT of de-escalating tactics rather quickly. Positioning, use of voice and body language, etc. I was also a member of a group who did scenario training with a law enforcement academy, so I got to see and use a lot of different stuff there.

Of everything I've ever used though, a calm voice, a lot of patience, and a cool head have done more than I can convey. Especially with people who are intoxicated in any way.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I'm a master at fall down and scream while shooting.
    outside of military training I have had informal training in street fighting with knives , canes , Pipes , chains, etc. Basically taught that anything can be used as a weapon when you use your mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links