Other training?

This is a discussion on Other training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the things I've liked about this forum (the reason I've stuck around) is the fact that we don't see a lot of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other training?

Other training?

One of the things I've liked about this forum (the reason I've stuck around) is the fact that we don't see a lot of the "I don't need anything else 'cause I've got my trusty hog-leg" attitude. Everyone seems to be pretty cognizant of the fact that the integration of both mental skills (mindset, awareness, etc.) and pysical skills (gun, knife/impact weapon, empty-hand) is necessary for effective defense.

So I'm wondering, how many people have trained, or currently train other methods of "interpersonal dispute resolution"
    If so, what? Knife, impact-weapons, empty-hand (and no, jump-flying-spin kicks from TKD don't count... )? And...if not, WHY NOT???

Just curious to hear about everybody's background.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    I've had training in martial arts, (brown belt in TKD and Kenpo), Non-Violent Verbal Crisis Intervention Training, as well as having attended Thunder Ranch, Front Sight, NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Course, and of course all the training I had years ago in Special Forces.

I think that we are all very aware of the fact that our firearm is the last resort we have. I will utilize everything at my disposal before having to resort to drawing my gun.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Brown belts in two forms of Karate, dabbling in a half dozen other Martial Arts systems.

Got to brown belt in TKD as a kid, did an Okinawan style called Goju-Ryu in college where I achieved my green belt (the style has white-green-brown-black). Also did a bit of Uechi-ryu (sp?) in college when my sensei left the college to take a job in Puerto Rico. Haven't done much since then, though I still do the breathing Kata from Goju every now and then. I will be taking a hands/weapon self defense class either this summer or next fall.

Tai Chi, Wing Chun, and Okinawan Kenpo all quite a few years ago, lots of street fighting in my younger days in South Philly.

Only thing I fight now is middle age spread

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I take Krav Maga classes.
    Curry

Anything I can regarding guns, knives, combatives, sticks and general interpersonal conflict. It's all good.
    WE ARE EDUCATED IN PAIN

Chris Fry
    www.mdtstraining.com

Training

I personally have and still am taking tactical gunfighting courses, do some self-study via video, knifefighting and modern cane fighting. And, I shoot a lot!

Red Belt in Soo Bahk Do (traditional Korean martial art). I like knowing I have more options than running or shooting. I highly recommend martial arts to anyone as it fine tunes your balance, reflexes, and ass kicking ability.

Senior Moderator
    Got up to 2nd degree black belt in Kempo before I trashed out my knee. Also have trained in HontoRyu and Aikido and used to Tai Box and compete in full contact Karate.Got some pretty serious training weapons trraining many moons ago courtesy of the USN in Coronado when I was stationed there.

Now...I practice GUN FU.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Now...I practice GUN FU.
    Yeah, me too.

My Wing Chun was full contact.
    My current SD-pistol practice and soon tactical courses.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like most of us are pretty "well-rounded."

As to my own background, I've got a black-belt in American Kenpo, I've also trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I've also been through a variety of LE-type defensive tactics/h2h courses courtesy of my job (gotta love it when someone pays you to train). In addition, I've done a lot of self-study and partner work and seminars in WWII combatives and knife work. I'm a big fan of SouthNarc's reverse-edge methods, and Kelly Worden's Modern Arnis material.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    train in jujitsu and have done some krav and akido lots n lots of street fighting while young lived in a verry rough part of california now search for dirty fighting tecniqs on line a practic with my brothers both well over six feet and around 260 270 respectavly obtw im five ten and 190 agree the weapon on my side is a last resort

Assistant Administrator
    My training in others skills is very lacking compared to many - what I did goes back to late school days, and that was mainly ju jitsu style stuff.

Bit old and long in tooth to go deep into this stuff now but try to hone skills like awareness so as to be better able to avoid situations and for me too the gun is totally last resort. Pepper spray is a newer addition to my options.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I practice a system now called Haganah. It is based on Krav Maga,as well as Israeli military training programs. I have studied traditional systems in the past also. I am a big fan of Carl Cestari's teachings , as well as Kelly Mcann. I still try to incoopreate methods I learned in the USMC , both for armed as well as un-armed. I also rely on Kelly Worden's teaching for edged weapon training, but we study these methods in Haganah also.I try to incooperate H2H training and other physical fitnees routines into one type of workout 3-4 days a week.
    an example may be: 3 rnds 3 min on Heavy bag, Sinwali drills with sticks, Bench press, push-ups, Squats, Bicep curls, Rows, Bayonet Drills, Shoulder presses, and a cool down. I always stretch before and after i start something like this . I try to be creative and this keeps it fun.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links