Just Me, or Anyone Else Reload Semi-Auto with Last round in the Pipe?

This is a discussion on Just Me, or Anyone Else Reload Semi-Auto with Last round in the Pipe? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the interest of minimizing wasted motion, this procedure occured to me some time back & I practice it regularly at the range, but I've ...

Thread: Just Me, or Anyone Else Reload Semi-Auto with Last round in the Pipe?

In the interest of minimizing wasted motion, this procedure occured to me some time back & I practice it regularly at the range, but I've never seen or heard of it anywhere else, good or bad. I'm interested in feedback & pros / cons.

The procedure is to count the rounds fired. I carry 15 + 1 in the pipe. Once I've fired 15 shots, the last round is loaded into the chamber & the magazine is empty, that is the time I dump the empty magazine & "tap" a fresh magazine & immediately continue firing, preventing the slide from ever locking back from an "empty" condition. The effect is that the "tap & rack" process becomes just a "tap" process before resuming firing. This save the "rack" process, which for me is what takes my aim off target somewhat.

This would apply whether you have a 7 rnd mag or a 17 rnd mag, and it does require keeping track of shots fired / rounds remaining, which I think is a good idea regardless, instead of being surprised /caught off guard when the slide locks back on empty, which I see frequently at the range.

The down side that you are reloading with a live round ready to fire, with the safety off (if applicable) , the slide forward, and the hammer back (if applicable) . Therefore, you MUST have heghtened focus on the most basics of safety of;

1. keep your trigger finger OFF the triger while reloading
    2. keep your firearm pointed down range / on target while reloading

I've never been involved in a shooting & hope I never am, & certainly not one involving firing more than 16 rounds, but we have to be prepared for the worst & "what if" ourselves to the max. Many carry 1 or more extra mags for a reason, so might as well be ready to use 'em.

cmb
    Called a tactical reload? May save some wear and maybe better your groups since hand cycling the slide causes different lockup and might cause a flier. In a defensive situation I doubt I could keep count, especially with my socks on!

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    This would apply whether you have a 7 rnd mag or a 17 rnd mag, and it does require keeping track of shots fired / rounds remaining, which I think is a good idea regardless, instead of being surprised /caught off guard when the slide locks back on empty, which I see frequently at the range.
    Do you really think you'll be able to keep a count of your shots when you're fighting for your life?

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Called a tactical reload? May save some wear and maybe better your groups since hand cycling the slide causes different lockup and might cause a flier. In a defensive situation I doubt I could keep count, especially with my socks on!
    The more common situation would be to top off as soon as possible after an initial encounter/exchange, which would leave one in the pipe. Good training.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

I only do this in matches before the next stage. On the range and informal, I let my pistol run dry before a mag change. Real world defensive scenario?
    Do you really think you'll be able to keep a count of your shots when you're fighting for your life?
    (I was going to say the same thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper2501 View Post
    The more common situation would be to top off as soon as possible after an initial encounter/exchange, which would leave one in the pipe. Good training.
    Just as good or better, especially if you do loose count of rounds fired!
    In my opinion of course.

The odds of keeping track of how many rounds you have left in the mag if you need more than 1 - 3 shots in a Life or death scenario is going to be like telling a rabid wolf to sit and stay. (sarcasim not intended, but it is the first thing that popped into my head). Between adrenaline,fear,tunnel vision etc (basically all the parts of combat stress) you will be lucky if you can remember the color of your shirt. Partial reload or a cover and check drillmay be better in this situation.

- Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think it sounds good in theory but might break down in real life for the reasons mentioned above. Reload after initial encounter and cover, then get outta Dodge.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Sponsored Links