Cut the crap-how many rounds do u shoot?

This is a discussion on Cut the crap-how many rounds do u shoot? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's start cutting through the arm chair warriors - how many rounds and how effective is your practice? Understandably, many on the this site have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cut the crap-how many rounds do u shoot?

Let's start cutting through the arm chair warriors - how many rounds and how effective is your practice? Understandably, many on the this site have to shoot down rectangular ranges.
    How can you make that situation as effective as possible and stay within the range rules?
    Maybe it is time for many on this forum to consider making the $$$$ sacrifice and joining a real gun club.
    In other words, who can say they really are able to train in real life, draw from concealed Carry positions?
    Is it time for you to make a real commitment and join/drive the distance to a real outdoor club?

Last month I shot over 2,500 rounds of 5.56, from a pretty much every position imaginable, from a couple of different weapon platforms. Some ranges were static with distances from 3-800 meters, and some were dynamic ranges with moving targets and maneuvers and all that good stuff.

Admittedly, I haven't gotten to shoot my beloved .45's since April, but I can't carry it in Hawaii, and they aren't even in this state. But I'm not sure I am your target demographic for this thread.

I think that once a shooter has the basics down of how to fire a weapon accurately on a static range, it is definately time to broaden their horizons, and start challenging themselves. Heck, if you can on your range, throw in like a minute or two of calisthenics, and then try to engage your targets. Odds are you won't be calm, cool and collected in a real gunfight.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

How many of you have at least shot a round off froma hip postiion? If you are on a static range, will a hip shot clear the bench in front of you? CAn you even place a target as close as 4 ft? What I am driving at is to join a club and get real experiential training. It is more important than the next gun purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    Let's start cutting thruogh the arm chair warriors - how many rounds and how effective is your practise? Understandably, many on the this site have to shoot down rectangular ranges. How can you make that situation as effective as possible and stay within the range rules? Maybe it is time for many on this forum to comsider making the $$$$ sacrifice and joining a real gun club. In other words, who can say they really are able to train in real life, draw from concealed carrry positions? Is it time for you to make a real commitment and join/drive the distance to a real outdoor club?
    Less than eight months ago, I was within 3 miles of one of my club's ranges. I went there twice a week at least, and most times, I was the only one there. Practice? You bet. From CC, the shotgun, anything I took to the range. $100 per year to be a member, and it's all worth every dime. Wife and I have been taking advantage of the steel challenge matches at the main range every month at a cost per match and a 120 mile round trip. The range is being re-worked as we speak, but has a 300yd rifle range I've taken advantage of before, and our club hosted a GSSF Glock challenge match two years in a row that I participated in last year as maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity. I've done USPSA matches on the club range as well, and I'm a better person and carrier than I ever thought about before. Since I belong to a large club in a large metropolitan area, I've got more people involved in the shooting sports, helped those who are new to the sport or carry, and taken a club affiliated NROI level 1 class which improves my understanding of the sport and further enhances me helping others as well as playing an active role in my club and the matches they hold. My club allows for me to bring non-member guests to the matches, and I've extended the invitation to anyone on the forum and some local LEO's to come on out and enjoy. Endorsing my local club some 60+ miles away now, I'd say it's the best thing money could buy in a year's time. heck...what I have, and my wife has done in the past three months and both improved and got more involved....I'd say it's pennies on a nearly priceless experience. We do the indoor ranges now and then more local, and we do one of the closest state funded public ranges when need be. But outdoor ranges really get you into things a bit more than just paying per use to shoot inside a box. either way...practice is good. Make of it what you will, or whatever you're able to do. No substitute for heating up your pistol......shedding some brass, and the smell of gunsmoke IMO. Outdoors is tops!

The point of my thread is to get forum members engaged. Guys, too many on this forum are not truly committed to get the truth about their practise habits examined. In other words. this is a call to get going. Commit. Join. Allow others to see what you really can do and improve from there. It is not about the next gun , it's about being quick and sure. Some of the prodigious posters on this forum have not shot 500 rounds in one year!

Administrator
    This is a good idea, we all can use an honest look into this.

There was a time when I'd shoot at least 1k a month. I did that for about 5 years. No kidding. But that was when Glock and Beretta bought my ammo.

Now, I do about a 100 a month if I'm lucky. There are times that I'll do 500 to a thousand over a three or four day period, but those times are becoming more and more rare. Maybe twice a year. I've cut back a lot in my personal ammo expenditures due to ammo price and economy, my employer has done the same.

To be perfectly honest, I'm at the point where a high round count doesn't do me much good on the range. Most serious shooters are. I think it much more beneficial to practice the mechanics of everything and shoot 20 good, solid fundamental shots rather than simply burn ammo for the round count.

I'll shoot about a flat of shotgun shells between now and the new year.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wink Actually...

I was the first shooter on the first course of fire in the first ever SANCTIONED IDPA match east of the Mississippi. I ran it with a Browning Hi-Power and used my defensive ammo (IIRC Federal Hydra Shok) to commemorate the occasion. I was the only guy who was using an SSP that day so I took 1st, 2nd and 3rd place! I've been at IDPA ever since although I don't play it as a "game" but rather as practice for the street, so I'm not real FAST. I don't care if I ever advance past the rank of "Marksman."

However, I pay much closer attention to procedurals and even closer attention to the comments of my fellow club members like (sssssshhhh don't tell him!) Miggy who is a superb RO and course designer. Graduated from the Marquis De Sade school of course design with HONORS, he did. Ask anybody in our club. Of course I'm an IDPA S.O. as well, but usually I exercise that when they really need me or they're short handed on Safety Officers, because Miggy, God Bless him, is acutely aware of my issues as a prior heat casualty and he refuses to let me run around on really fierce south Florida sunny days on the range so I usually help him with the scores under cover.

How many rounds you ask (rather curtly I might add)? As many as I feel like I need to. The target below isn't the best but it was rapid fire at 21 feet and it's pretty standard for me; on any of my firearms. Except the M642 snubbie where I have to be closer, lol. That gun is about a 10 foot distance for a tight group locked in to a firing platform in point shoot mode with my elbows tight to my sides. Fixed sights, it's mugger deterrence, period. Mugger deterrence is close quarters. There another pic of a much better B27 target here on the forum but it won't let you post them more than once or I don't know how to do that. It's in this closed thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-new-help.html
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Currently, I try to shoot 100-200 rds p/mo. through my handguns and HD firearms. Prior to the economic downturn, I was shooting 1,000-2,000 rds p/mo. at 2-3 IPSC matches a month. Due to ammo availability and sheer expense, I have cut back until the economy gets better.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

The price of primers has reduced my shooting to 300-400 rds of center fire pistol rds a month. SASS/Western 3 gun and IDPA matches.

I am also shooting 500 Rds a month of .22 ammo. Sight picture, trigger control Etc all the same except for recoil.

USMC 0311 1961-1971 (SSGT Ret), Ex LEO, Range Safety officer, NRA Certified instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun) NRA Certified CCW Instructor Etc. I haven't been a Arm Chair Warrior in my memory

I shoot at least once a week everything from handgun to SD shotgun to Full autos.Today I shot about 50 rounds 45 acp,100 rounds 40,100 rounds 9mm,150 rounds 22 LR,60 rounds 223 select fire short bursts,my indoor range has electric target hangers,I can shoot from 0 ft to 50 yards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    Let's start cutting through the arm chair warriors - how many rounds and how effective is your practice? Understandably, many on the this site have to shoot down rectangular ranges.
    How can you make that situation as effective as possible and stay within the range rules?
    Maybe it is time for many on this forum to consider making the $$$$ sacrifice and joining a real gun club.
    In other words, who can say they really are able to train in real life, draw from concealed Carry positions?
    Is it time for you to make a real commitment and join/drive the distance to a real outdoor club?
    Not everyone can afford to shoot as much as you, or reload their own ammo, or join an outdoor club and make the drive to an outdoor range. And not everyone here lives in Florida or Hawaii where you can simply shoot outdoors all year round. I don't think it's right calling people armchair warriors because they can't do everything you do. If you have the means and the time to do all that, good for you.

I think if you can afford to shoot at least one 50 round box, every payday and go for quality shots, you'll be ahead of the game of most shooters.

Actually if you can do that once a month, you'll be ahead. You can change up what drills you shoot at each session.

Shooting and marksmanship is a depreciable skill, and shooting a small amount every two weeks or once a month is a whole lot more productive than shooting a lot 2,3 or 4 times a year.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wink Sixto says what many of us are thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I'm at the point where a high round count doesn't do me much good on the range. Most serious shooters are. I think it much more beneficial to practice the mechanics of everything and shoot 20 good, solid fundamental shots rather than simply burn ammo for the round count.
    Sixto, you echo what many of us are thinking about the way in which the OP put this thread into words. I didn't much care for the manner in which he casually put a majority of the folks here into the "armchair warrior" profile of shooter. There are MANY real live warriors here as well as LEOs who put their rear ends on the line every single day. There are folks who've been handling firearms for so many years the number of muscle memory draws probably numbers in the tens of millions or more.

I'm a school teacher and the summer is ending. Next week the kids return and the grind begins again. This summer I doubt I have put more than 200 rounds downrange for myself. I have been too busy running ccw permit classes, critiquing technique and creating the valid templates for muscle memory actions in novice shooters who wish to become experienced sheepdogs to worry about my own level of practice BECAUSE I don't worry about my own level of practice. So I don't much appreciate the "armchair warrior" title applied anywhere on this board. The folks who're novice shooters want to become experienced shooters and sheepdogs probably don't much appreciate it either. Since I hate beating dead horse, I'll stop now.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Same here. High round count seems to yield diminishing return for the effort for me. Better to shoot a few with concentration than to mindlessly sling a lot of lead downrange.

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    Not everyone can afford to shoot as much as you, or reload their own ammo, or join an outdoor club and make the drive to an outdoor range. And not everyone here lives in Florida or Hawaii where you can simply shoot outdoors all year round. I don't think it's right calling people armchair warriors because they can't do everything you do. If you have the means and the time to do all that, good for you.
    Let me start by saying. I LOVE TO SHOOT! I will shoot at anytime I get the opportunity. When I was working, our department took us through an intensive qualification process every six months. Of course, we used their ammo and got paid for the day. I'm now retired and can't tell you how much I miss those days at the range. If they called I'd be the firtst one to jump at the chance to shoot with them. However, I'm retired and on a great pension but a pension after all no matter how good, only goes so far. Can I afford the expense of joining a shooting club, driving all the way there spending a day shooting up a bunch of ammo every week or month? Maybe, but there always seems to be something else that comes up needing to be paid. Right now I'm allotted an hour once a week or so at an indoor range to shoot up a box or two and I just make the most of it. Many of us just have to settle for what we can manage to do.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links