Carrying Mags- Bullets Forward or Backward - Page 2

Carrying Mags- Bullets Forward or Backward

This is a discussion on Carrying Mags- Bullets Forward or Backward within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was shown bullets forward, but practice both ways. When I can afford to start shooting again, I'll time my reloads; whichever way is consistently ...

View Poll Results: Extra Mags -Bullets Facing Forward or Backward

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry bullets Facing Forward

99 75.57%
  • I carry bullets Facing Backward

32 24.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Mags- Bullets Forward or Backward

BAC
    I was shown bullets forward, but practice both ways. When I can afford to start shooting again, I'll time my reloads; whichever way is consistently faster and has less fumbling will get the nod.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Bullets facing forward on weak side...smooth transition from pouch to firearm.
    When I pull the mag from the pouch, I can see the face of my watch and the front of the bullet.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Bullets facing forward on weak side...smooth transition from pouch to firearm.
    When I pull the mag from the pouch, I can see the face of my watch and the front of the bullet.
    I don't understand this,.. If bullets are facing down, and your weakside mounded,.. (with forward facing bullets) it would appear you would have to rotate the mag (twist your wrist?) Is that how you insert the mag? Just trying to get a idea on how it is done that way..

Bullets forward involves a wrist rotation.

Facing backwards, I still grab the mag with my index finger in front to guide it in. It's almost like drawing a knife out of a shealth on my weak side and thrusting it into position.

I will have to practice in the mirror again tonight after work to see if it worth conforming to the forward facing crowd.

kpw
    Bullets forward. Less wrist movement and as easy as pointing your finger.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Bullets forward for me too. One smooth motion, index finger on the tip of that visible hollow point and ride it home!

My index finger is on the first round in the mag along the front.

I don't get that argument for bullets forward. I have identical results and my bullets face back.

And how is bullets forward less wrist movement? You have to turn your hand palm out, grab the mag, rotate your wrist over again then seat the magazine.

With bullets back, I draw my magazine in the same manner of motion as my firearm. Once it clears, my entire arm is used to seat the magazine.

Bullets Forward

Rotating wrist to orientate mag to insert

Bullets Rearward

This would be the position of insertion. I'm home alone so had to pic myself.

I fail to see how rotating your wrist from palm out to palm in (bullets forward) is more natural and less movement than a simple draw and raise to seat (bullets rearward). Whatever works I guess.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Tubby ...

Thanks for taking time to post pics. I completely agree with you. With bullets forward, you have to rotate the magazine or grab palm out to orient the bullets properly.

I learned well over 30 yrs ago to carry bullets rear so as the magazine is presented to the magwell, all is inline and proper.

Now, I know for a fact that personal combat training teaches bullets forward (and I'm an instructor) but it never made sense to me nor did it work very well for me. This is one area that "I do not practice what I preach".
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

cmb
    I always put them in the magazine facing forward, they come out of the gun much better that way.

being serious... I pocket carry my mags left side bullets facing left in back pocket and facing to the right in front pocket.
    Last edited by cmb; August 21st, 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: serious addition

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Most of what I am hearing makes it sound complicated, I start with a empty mag holster, release the mag from weapon in a weaver stance and move it naturally back into the mag holster, this could vary depending on where I have the mag holster placed but generally faces the bullets clockwise for the left hand, counter clockwise for the right hand. I can shoot with either hand.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    I don't understand this,.. If bullets are facing down, and your weakside mounded,.. (with forward facing bullets) it would appear you would have to rotate the mag (twist your wrist?) Is that how you insert the mag? Just trying to get a idea on how it is done that way..
    My palm is facing in...when I draw my extra mag (unlike Tubby45's palm facing out...see post #22)...does that clarify?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Tubby ...

Thanks for taking time to post pics. I completely agree with you. With bullets forward, you have to rotate the magazine or grab palm out to orient the bullets properly.

I learned well over 30 yrs ago to carry bullets rear so as the magazine is presented to the magwell, all is inline and proper.

Now, I know for a fact that personal combat training teaches bullets forward (and I'm an instructor) but it never made sense to me nor did it work very well for me. This is one area that "I do not practice what I preach".
    Not if you grasp the extra mag with your palm facing in...thus, the thumb is on the front of the mag not the back of the mag like in post #22.
    I'm not saying that either way is incorrect, just different, and either could work.
    Keep in mind that mags can be placed horizontally, vertically, strong side, weakside, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00 10:00, 2:00, and combinations thereof...for this right-hander.

This whole thread is a bit confusing...seems easier to write out instructions for my wife to change the oil in the car.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tried that and it's very awkward. The grip still requires rotation to index the magazine to the magazine well. With the rear facing, it's one continuous upward & forward motion with no additional rotations or movements. Pull it out, bring chest high, and push into the gun.

I'd like to see pics of the range of motion you are talking about, retsupt99.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This whole thread is a bit confusing...seems easier to write out instructions for my wife to change the oil in the car.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

kpw
    Tubby, that first pic looks like an akward way to grab your mag.
    Try standing naturally with your hands at your side, relaxed. Your palms should be facing rearward...most people anyway. Bring your hand straight up to the mag, stick your thumb behind the mag and your 3 fingers around the front with your index finger along the front of the mag carrier. Your palm should be on the bottom of the mag. Pull it straight up. With your pistol at face level and turned to the side, point your finger at the front of the mag well, insert and slam home with your palm.

I can try to get some pics tomorrow if you'd like.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links