Carrying Mags- Bullets Forward or Backward

This is a discussion on Carrying Mags- Bullets Forward or Backward within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1...

View Poll Results: Extra Mags -Bullets Facing Forward or Backward

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry bullets Facing Forward

99 75.57%
  • I carry bullets Facing Backward

32 24.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Mags- Bullets Forward or Backward

+1
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If you think about it, with the bullets facing backwards when you withdraw the magazine from it's holder, they will be facing forward as you bring the magazine up to the guns mag well.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Bones129 View Post
    +1 This is the way I was also taught. When you have your mags on your weak side and drop your hand to your side your index finger is forward, which goes on the front of the mag to guide it up and into the magazine well, so bullets forward, but if my mags are on my strong side the bullets will be backward, because when you reach across your bodyyour index finger points back, so you want the front side of the mag facing backwards the same as your index finger.

+1 Excellent explanation..I am right handed..Carry my mags weak side, bullets forward..Mag change, reach down with weak side hand, pull mag out of carrier, already positioned to TAP in mag well, RACK, BANG....Not sure I would have a reason to carry my mags strong side.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    OK this whole thread has caused me to experiment, nope still straight. But, i now realize the difference in opinions.

1- If you grab the entire butt end of the magazine palm in then you will want the round facing aft. Pull the mag and flip your thumb upward forward then you have to reposition your grip to completely seat the magazine.

2 - If you grasp the mag with your thumb and first two fingers along the front of the mag palm towards the deck then as you draw the mag you rotate your wrist and mag slightly outwards this leaves your palm facing up to seat the mag.

Either works; really fast competitive shooters use option 2.

BTW I am not fast but I am trying to emulate those who are.

Peace,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    2 - If you grasp the mag with your thumb and first two fingers along the front of the mag palm towards the deck then as you draw the mag you rotate your wrist and mag slightly outwards this leaves your palm facing up to seat the mag.
    Never really thought that deeply about it before just worked backwards from inserting the mag. But that actually explains it.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I like my bullets to face forward carrying on weakside. I don't notice any wrist rotation. I index the magazine and slam her home.

Not sure if it's bad form or not, but with the bullets facing forward, when I bring the mag up and rotate the wrist, I can slightly angle the gun toward the mag, which is a little bit faster. It is easier to twist or rotate the gun on a horizontal plane with the wrist, as opposed to on a vertical plane. Wrists just don't point down near as easy as they rotate. Hope that isn't too confusing.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I prefer bullets facing forward.

That's how my duty belt is set up. If I'm using my Milt Sparks IWB Mag Carrier off duty then I have one facing rearward. It's not really a problem, but I do prefer forward, as my other off duty mag carrier faces forward, like the ones for work.

I went through LFI using the Milt Sparks IWB Carrier, and it wasn't a problem. Just practice enough to make it smooth. I know by feel which way the bullets are facing when I grasp the magazine, so it's not an issue to me.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I don't notice any wrist rotation. I index the magazine and slam her home.
    Me neither. For the better part of the evening, I have been slowly watching myself go to the weakside, remove magazine and bring it up into the mag well. I noticed that I'm not bending my wrist to do this. I did notice however, my mag forearm is slightly rotating to compensate, so perhaps that is where the extra movement is? (shrugs)

To be honest, I really don't know if any of it matters, just as long as in the end whatever method you carry, you practice consistently to develop that muscle memory to react without the conscious part of your brain having to recognize and adapt to an unfamiliar situation.

eh,

Do it which ever way works for you, practice regularly and stick with it.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Not sure if it's bad form or not, but with the bullets facing forward, when I bring the mag up and rotate the wrist, I can slightly angle the gun toward the mag, which is a little bit faster. It is easier to twist or rotate the gun on a horizontal plane with the wrist, as opposed to on a vertical plane. Wrists just don't point down near as easy as they rotate. Hope that isn't too confusing.
    That's something I forgot to mention earlier. I put my gun at a 45 degree angle, so that the magazine doesn't have to travel as far to the magazine well.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Weakside, bullets forward. The important thing doing it this way IMO is to have the index finder along the front of the mag (with the bullets) to guide the mag into the mag well. Along with many other things in shooting, you do better if you point at it. Think about it. Trigger finger indexed along frame, pointing towards target. Thumbs pointed towards target. Now, in this case point the index finger towards the empty mag well (the target), and viola! Your chances of missing the mag well are drastically reduced. I also bring the gun closer to me and tilt the mag well slightly to the left. The closer things are to you the better control you have over them.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by AceHi View Post
    Forward, so you can put your index finger on the front of the bullet to assist in guiding the mag to the opening - that's the way I was taught.
    Exactly. Same here.
    There is a quarter turn rotation of the magazine and the pistol, it's the most fluid way I've ever tried.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Tubby, someone needs to teach you how to load a magazine. Your pictures are extremely awkward and I can understand why you don't see a difference.

For continuity loading pistols, rifles and subguns from the reaction side bullets always towards the front. Finger tip on on the bullet and into the mag well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links