Vehicle Tactics & some general thoughts

This is a discussion on Vehicle Tactics & some general thoughts within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, you cell phone rings next to you in the seat, you glace down and...bang, you just bumped ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vehicle Tactics & some general thoughts

You are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, you cell phone rings next to you in the seat, you glace down and...bang, you just bumped in the the car in front of you, it is hot and you can hear the driver curse as he smashes his hands on the steering wheel. All of a sudden he opens the door and begins to advance towards you.

He continues to advance and brandishes a knife saying he is "going to teach you a lesson" You are blocked on all four sides with no where to go, you are armed. Are you alone? (This shooter draws and fires rounds from inside his vehicle, the bad guy reacts to the COM rounds, some hit his chest, others his hands and arms because they are COM)

A student engages a target out his drivers side window, after first engaging the first target at his door. He is using Center Axis Relock.

Took me about 45 seconds to cut this neat patch of glass out of the vehicle using my RMJ Tactical Shrike Tomahawk. Injured occupants do not need glass in their eyes and wounds if he can be avoided. What other tool a first responder could carry and use by himself would provide this precision. The tomahawk is not just for fighting anymore.
    Last edited by mercop; September 1st, 2009 at 10:01 PM.

2. Remove Ads

great post. Thanks. Brought back some memories.
    fwiw-back in the day my training emphasized getting out of the vehicle (get OUT get OUT (I can still hear the PTO yelling).
    I am looking for an arizona based tune up. Gunsite maybe, but still looking. Maybe brownie? This looks like a great exercise. Of course I also can hear the other Driving instructor yelling (Why I always asked myself, my hearing is just fine) about avoiding getting vehicle compression as the way to avoid an ambush in my offensive driving classes. Ha. Never done learning.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

I wish the shooting ranges would put in some clunker cars so we could practice 'shooting from a vehicle' scenario. It would be nice practice getting around the steering wheel, getting off the seatbelt, draw from a sitting position, etc.
    I do currently practice stopping far enough behind the car ahead so I can see plenty of asphalt between me and his rear bumper. Leaves me enough room to get my car out and around and drive away if necessary. I stress this to my wife often.
    Ohio Rusty ><>

also scan left/right/rear. condition yellow. I prefer to not be directly across looking left or right at a person in traffic. Why make it easy. Also scan to the rear. Why? Once watched some fool walking from behind stopped traffic hitting up people for a handout. This perp looked agressive, loud and very erratic. Those with windows open, radio up, condition white you could see jolt to condition orange when the dirtbag reached in for a hand out. Probably soiled some interiors would be my guess.
    This happened to my wife once as well (you try to explain :-), but I dont know about you...but "telling" my wife anything is a non-starter), good for us though our doberman (head on wifes lap) was way ahead of my wife and the perps hand only got about 1" into the car. Funny how fast that situation changed.
    But I digress.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post. I had a friend killed by the airbag. She slid into the ditch at slow speed and wasn't wearing her seat belt. I, too, never pull up to stopped traffic window to window. This subject bears more study than found in most schools.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links