Do you know how to fall? - Page 2

Do you know how to fall?

This is a discussion on Do you know how to fall? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heck, I fall all the time! No broken bones yet, so I must be doing something right. No training in martial arts, or anything, but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you know how to fall?

Heck, I fall all the time! No broken bones yet, so I must be doing something right. No training in martial arts, or anything, but then I've been at it for over 40 years! It comes with two bad legs!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Yep knowing how to fall is a good thing. I've had 13yrs in Martial Arts, I regularly mountain bike, ski (the past nine yrs), plus I played football for many yrs, falling was/is a pretty regular thing. I used to be a bike messenger in downtown Houston for close to a decade. Had many SD scenerios unfold, and was hit several times by cars. Was sore, had scrapes, but no borken bones or the like....It's all about balance and how to roll with impact. Bracing (being all stiff) yourself can be the worst deal.

YES it's a good read...and a good thing to practice. LOL I never really practiced it...I just got good at it through trial and error.

"Know when you cannot avoid a fall and go with it, taking a few steps backwards only increases momentum. Try to fall down and not back and down."

Yep...good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    Took some judo when I was a kid. That's about a two hour class in falling twice a week. I'd suggest every kid take a little judo.
    Yep,.. For me too,.. I agree..

fwiw-
    IMO one important lesson possible to learn from "learning" how to fall and experiencing repeated falls succesfully (at least without significant lasting injuries) is that falling in itself should not be sufficient cause for you to lose your combat mindset. Also, since practice makes perfect (muscle/brain memory) I would maintain that even under duress you will be more likely to fall as taught without injury if you practice rather than just chance it without developing any technique. So, if a person is able to maintain his combat mindset along with some position control, albeit on their back or into a roll position, the next step can be threat assesment and response rather than "gosh, how did i end up on my keester, am I hurt? ouch? I am so disoriented etc."
    just my $0.02

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

ps-
    fwiw-
    Practice falling/dropping/rolling with your weapon (safe your weapon please).
    Be careful as small of back weapon can really hurt! I was taught/practiced many moons ago to carry a SOB off side (5pm?) to prevent spinal injury, but the first time I went thru an accelrated backward fall drill (car window shoot) the small arm I had there embeded itself fairly permanently into my back. Can you say ouch? Chiropractor anyone?

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Both wrestling and Jump School taught me to hit and roll.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links