Good day at NVTactical in VA

This is a discussion on Good day at NVTactical in VA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not exactly a new shooter as I've been shooting since early childhood. I've also had a couple of classes(at B.R.A in VA) under my ...

Thread: Good day at NVTactical in VA

Good day at NVTactical in VA

I'm not exactly a new shooter as I've been shooting since early childhood. I've also had a couple of classes(at B.R.A in VA) under my belt not including various martial arts training. That said, I decided I needed some more training and I had noticed these guys(Northern Virginia Tactical) opened up shop locally a couple of years ago. I checked them out back then, but compliments to work and other such excuses never got around to it.

I decided to try something new, and took the basic pistol class at NVTactical this past weekend. I plan on returning this upcoming weekend for their Defensive Handgun class and I figure I'll just keep progressing from there.

So here's the skinny. It's a great group of guys that runs the outfit and all are very skilled and knowledgeable in their own right. My class instructor was a fellow by the name of Andre Cumberland. The class instruction portion was excellent. Everything from the components and action of the various styles of handguns to the local laws regarding the carrying of said handguns as well as use of force applications was covered. I already knew pretty much everything covered in the classroom portion, but it's good to have someone else drill it into your head again every now and then anyway. The classroom portion was approximately 4 hours, but I didn't keep track. It also included a written test at the end. The range portion was a good 4 hours as well so it turned out to be a full 8 hour day.

After a short break we headed out to the range. They utilize their own outdoor range on private property in the outskirts of Lovettsville, VA.

I'm already a decent shooter, but decent isn't good enough. I've always been a modified weaver shooter due to my MA background. I'm good for target shooting and rarely get outside the 9-10 rings out to 7-10 yards, but that does not include double-taps or drills of any sort or under pressure either. Attempts at drilling before resulted in terrible followup shots.

Here's where the second instructor steps in. Tommy Thacker was another instructor who met up with us on the range. Both Andre and Tommy worked with us all individually and through about 30 seconds of slight adjustments of my grip and stance with Tommy, my cardboard(USPSA target) looked like someone shot a silver dollar through the center of it along with a few dimes here or there that managed to escape to the C ring(yeah I got a bit squirrely a few times).

One thing to mention on the grip changes is that Tommy took the time to both explain in physics terms the differences in the different grips as well as actually demonstrate the various grips for us to view from off to the side so we could see the difference in muzzle recoil, etc... between the different grips and stances. That had a PROFOUND effect as I hadn't had that from previous instruction.

All in all though, I'm quite pleased with the dramatic difference in accuracy this weekend.

That said, I'm on the roster for return this upcoming weekend. Anyone else decides to show up for the DH class on Friday(Sept 4th), I'll probably be the guy in the maxped hat.

Fair warning, they do operate rain or shine at their outdoor range so dress appropriately if you plan on attending. There is a covered bench area, but you'll be shooting out in the open so bring plenty of water if attending in late summer.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Hey, great course write-up. Thanks for taking the time to share and we'll look forward to hearing about the next class.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I've taken their training and know both Tommy and Andre. Both worked at Loudoun Guns. Andre still does, and is there full-time. Tommy left to become a manufacturer's rep (maybe Glock, IIRC) and to dedicate more time to building NoVA Tactical. Good bunch of guys.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    I've taken their training and know both Tommy and Andre. Both worked at Loudoun Guns. Andre still does, and is there full-time. Tommy left to become a manufacturer's rep (maybe Glock, IIRC) and to dedicate more time to building NoVA Tactical. Good bunch of guys.
    Yeah, I think Tommy is actually at FNH now. I could be wrong though. I seem to remember something being mentioned of him shooting for Team FNH.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links