Question about training in and around a vehicle.

This is a discussion on Question about training in and around a vehicle. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MERCOP's thread made me think of something else, but I didn't want to hijack his thread. I have been wanting to incorporate my vehicle into ...

Thread: Question about training in and around a vehicle.

MERCOP's thread made me think of something else, but I didn't want to hijack his thread.

I have been wanting to incorporate my vehicle into my training. Mainy shooting around it as concealment, and perhaps shooting from the window.

Now obviously in a real situation I wouldn't care, but for training, is there anything I should watch out for, or avoid doing? I remember seeing a video where a guy used his tailgate as a rest to shoot his 50bmg. Apparently the muzzle blast shattered his tail light. I'm not sure my 45 could do that, but is there anything like that to watch out for? I'd like my vehicle to leave the range with all the holes and fluids it cam in with.

Yes I am able to do this at my range.

Thanks
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

I would suggest taking a course if you have the money to spend on it. A number of respectable outfits have courses for just such a response. I'm hoping at some point in the near future I can get in to the course for similar training at NVTactical down here in VA.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yeah I understand that. I would like to attend one of George's classes at some point. Right now money does not permit it.

That isn't my point really. In my situation, I am just as likely, if not more likely, to find myself using my vehicle as concealment/cover as anything else. So I want to incorporate that into my training, but I don't want to blow out a window or something because I was shooting too close to it.

I already use vertical surfaces (such as a wall, door, tree) and horizotnal surfaces (low wall, counter). I guess the outside of a vehicle isn't much more than a combination of vertical and horizontal surfaces, with the addition of "under", which I won't even try to use my trucks for in training. I can (and have) simulate shooting under a car easy enough.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Yeah I understand that. I would like to attend one of George's classes at some point. Right now money does not permit it.

That isn't my point really. In my situation, I am just as likely, if not more likely, to find myself using my vehicle as concealment/cover as anything else. So I want to incorporate that into my training, but I don't want to blow out a window or something because I was shooting too close to it.

I already use vertical surfaces (such as a wall, door, tree) and horizotnal surfaces (low wall, counter). I guess the outside of a vehicle isn't much more than a combination of vertical and horizontal surfaces, with the addition of "under", which I won't even try to use my trucks for in training. I can (and have) simulate shooting under a car easy enough.
    What do you have by way of a range to play with? Are you on your own personal/private range? Can you build yourself a little plywood vehicle cutout/shadow?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have thought of building a plywood car. I still might. No where to store it though. If I did, I'd want it to be almost like a rolling chassis. We did discuss at one point buying a truck cab and putting it on wheels to use in the shoots.

It's a private range that I belong to. We have Action Pistol/ Long gun shoots monthly. The ranges have berms on 3 sides so it allows 180 degree field of fire. Also, no fixed shooting position, so I can move around and use various forms of cover. There is also a shoot house that is up about 8 months out of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    MERCOP's thread made me think of something else, but I didn't want to hijack his thread.

I have been wanting to incorporate my vehicle into my training. Mainy shooting around it as concealment, and perhaps shooting from the window.

Now obviously in a real situation I wouldn't care, but for training, is there anything I should watch out for, or avoid doing? I remember seeing a video where a guy used his tailgate as a rest to shoot his 50bmg. Apparently the muzzle blast shattered his tail light. I'm not sure my 45 could do that, but is there anything like that to watch out for? I'd like my vehicle to leave the range with all the holes and fluids it cam in with.

Yes I am able to do this at my range.

Thanks
    Just miss.................the car, that is.

The first thing to consider if using someones vehicle is muzzle blast. It will screw up a paint job bigtime. The second is appendages. Radio antennas (if shooting across the hood) are often not seen in sights/scopes because of their proximity and rear view mirrors (when shooting out the window) are often lower than line of sight of the sight but not bullet trajectory at muzzle. In a life or death situation bullet deflection is an issue. If it's just a practice session with your every day ride it will cause problems like being pulled over because your rear view mirror is swinging off the side of your vehicle. Addressing the paint/antenna/mirror thing gets a little spendy also which cuts into the old shooting budget. Did I mention the ribbing you're going to take from friends/family/SPOUSE. Beginning to sound like a first hand account? Must be your imagination.

Thanks for the memory. IMO Rentals work great for actual deployments, but only after ALOT of stressed practice with less expensive alternatives (cardboard refridgerator boxes for example), old golf carts (inoperative) or junk cars.
    LMAO when I saw a guy years ago bring his own vehicle to a tactics class (Fiancee's new jeep) and promtly shoot into the hood (DOH!) in all his excitement when deploying at normal speed and engaging multiple targets. I felt bad for practically choking on laughter at his obvious distress over putting some fine raking shots into the hood, but then as a guy you take your laughs when you can. ps: It got worse when he asked how was he going to explain those.... answers included:
    -what holes?
    -wow! I didnt see those!
    -Klingons?
    -road rage?

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Sponsored Links