Graham Combat?

This is a discussion on Graham Combat? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be signing up for my first defensive pistol training. I was going to travel a ways and take a class from ...

Thread: Graham Combat?

Graham Combat?

I am going to be signing up for my first defensive pistol training. I was going to travel a ways and take a class from the Firearms Academy of Seattle. They give a good description of the class and what to look forward to. Just today I stumbled on a class that is going to be put on at a gun club much closer to where I live. The class is put on by Graham Combat. I have looked at there website and still don't know what to expect. I haven't called the Gun club to ask but I wanted to ask here first. Has anyone taken a class from or heard anything about either the Firearms Academy of Seattle or Graham Combat? Thanks.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

2. Remove Ads

Never heard of the guy. His website is kind of goofy and he list no bio. He may be a great instructor, or, he may be a wannabe joke. With all the known instructors out there, why try this guy?

Firearms Academy of Seattle has a good reputation.

Graham Combat, I have never heard of. I agree his website is kind of "cheesy" looking and strikes me as geared towards the mall ninja crowd. With that said, I could be way, way off base and certainly would not want to malign the program based merely off my opinion of his website. That would be totally unfair.

Bottom line is a bio and credentials mean everything, and if he has any, he certainly needs to get them up on his website as soon as possible. The two letters of recommendation from officers in the Army and Marine Corps may or may not be legitimate.

Before I laid down my hard earned cash for his program, I would do a little more research into his background and certifications.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Of the two schools you are considering I can tell you that while I have not trained with Marty and Gila Hayes of Firearms Academy of Seattle, they have a great reputation.

I've never heard of the other school. Not hearing or knowing about them doesn't mean they aren't a good school. All it means to me is that before I put down my hard earned cash money I want to be assured that I will be getting what I paid for. That's where reputations come in.

When you consider the cost you will probably find that the schools with the better repuattion aren't all that exspensive when compared to the lesser known quantity.

Biker

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Graham was apparently an Air Marshal for a while and has worked with and/or trained a lot of people in various high-speed/low-drag military and LE circles. He developed the FACTS target that is rapidly gaining more and more acceptance with military and LE agencies. His main contribution, IMO, is the Graham Method of using a flashlight with a handgun via the Surefire Combat Rings. It's the only tactical flashlight method I've seen that is specifically designed as a combat method and allows for both hands to be on a handgun in the typical two-handed combat grip while you also hold a ready flashlight in-line with the muzzle.

Not sure how much of a true-blue badboy he is but Surefire seems to be humping this guy's leg pretty hard as of late if the last two issues of Combat Tactics is any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Firearms Academy of Seattle has a good reputation.
    I'd stick with the known players.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    I am going to be signing up for my first defensive pistol training. I was going to travel a ways and take a class from the Firearms Academy of Seattle. They give a good description of the class and what to look forward to. Just today I stumbled on a class that is going to be put on at a gun club much closer to where I live. The class is put on by Graham Combat. I have looked at there website and still don't know what to expect. I haven't called the Gun club to ask but I wanted to ask here first. Has anyone taken a class from or heard anything about either the Firearms Academy of Seattle or Graham Combat? Thanks.
    The Graham Combat class is being held a the NWSA 5 blocks away from my house here on Whidbey Island. From what I've been told Graham class is a good class to take. I think Handguns or Tactical handguns the mag did a artical about his classes. I was going to take the class but have the IDPA postal match to attend to.

Quote Originally Posted by VR4 View Post
    The Graham Combat class is being held a the NWSA 5 blocks away from my house here on Whidbey Island. From what I've been told Graham class is a good class to take. I think Handguns or Tactical handguns the mag did a artical about his classes. I was going to take the class but have the IDPA postal match to attend to.
    That was the class I was lookin in to. I live on Fidalgo Island and was really leaning towards taking the Seattle Firearms class in Arlington. I wish there would be a little substance on the Graham Combat site about what is going to be covered, how long the days are, what is needed to bring, that kind of thing. Although great for some people, I don't want to show up for a class that isn't challenging and worth my time and money.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

VR4
    The difference in the 2 are at the GC class he teaches you how to defend yourself with what you got be it a flash light, pin , knife or gun which will be covered in the class. I think the FS class just shows you how to use your gun in a situation. If you would like more info on the GC class call Jim Till a he is going, supervising the class and is a NWSA board member

Jim Till
    Home: 360-739-6237
    Work: 360-739-6237
    Mobile: 360-739-6237

Administrator
    "I provide a training experience that is second to none. If you are not fully satisfied I will refund your tuition in full."

Go and then decide if you're satisfied with what you were taught (or not) then if you are/were honestly/truthfully not satisfied - hold him to his word and get fully refunded.

Report back and let us know how it went for you.

hay, if your coming to Arlington then drop me a line. Norpoint is my local range.
    also, Firearms Academy of Seattle has a solid rep. I have never heard of the other guy.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have taken several classes at Firearms Academy of Seattle. It is an excellent school with excellent instructors. They have a very extensive training facility. Probably the best in the nation. Marty has put together a bunch of "tactical" ranges that I have not seen elsewhere. You will do well to take classes with them.

Full disclosure: I do not own stock in FAS, I am not paid by FAS nor do I have a relationship with FAS. I have just taken classes from them and rank them as top notch.
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; September 10th, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

pap

Dig Deeper

Matt presents the quiet, dark underbelly of weapons training. In the arena of developing aggressive tactical training programs at the highest levels of this government, and preparing the latest generation of folks doing the honorable, but invisible work for this country, he is second to none. If you didn't take the opportunity to run through his program, you missed training under the most innovative individual out there that you've never heard of!

Digging deeper . . .
    FAM - Yup
    Washington State Medal of Honor Recipient - Yup
    Doing the "Good Work" for his country - Yup

Just to be clear - His single class will fold together all of the classes offered out there all for under $500. You will be wet, tired, dirty, and content in knowing that you were pushed. You'll transition between primary and secondary weapons, roll into and out of vehicles, utilize lights, knives, and whatever you have on you to fight with. Make no mistake - the training will be tough, and you'll wonder how one individual can project all of this information effectively. He does it!!!

If you want to take the standard classes out there, knock yourself out - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You will mistakenly think you had a great experience. But take a class with Matt, and you will be amazed what you find you are capable of - both as an individual, and in group.

No, I haven't taken the class he's offering - I've had the class in many small bites over the few years we worked together while he was developing the curriculum.

Go out of your way to take his class.

Pap

Pap,

It seems a little strange that you would pull up a two yr old thread for your first post. Any affiliation with this outfit?

Links