Natural Surival Tactics

This is a discussion on Natural Surival Tactics within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many people that have met me in person or have been reading my thoughts over the years have heard me refer to “fast roping off ...

Thread: Natural Surival Tactics

Natural Surival Tactics

Many people that have met me in person or have been reading my thoughts over the years have heard me refer to “fast roping off the space shuttle whacking tangos with (insert silly item marketed to the masses)”. Most readers agree that the reason they educate themselves here on MCS, attend classes, and carry tools is to increase their survival. Isn’t that what it is about? Being the gray man?

Going all the way back to the first days of MCS and the CAT (Counter Attack Theory), look for what promotes survival in nature. The first thing animals count on to survive is blending in, whether it be by using their natural camouflage or moving with a pack so as to not stick out. Here are some the most common things that people do that draw attention to themselves-

Wearing clothes that stand out in the environment.

Having self-defense tools like guns and knives exposed.

Carrying purpose driven self-defense tools that do not have an obvious legitimate purpose.

When an animal’s camouflage or use of the pack fails him the next survival measure is movement. Either to outrun their attacker to get to a position of physical safety (a physical location the attacker cannot access). To the animal this is going up a tree or into a small hole that the pursuer could not fit. For us, this may be a secured room or vehicle. The second option is back into the environment of the pack where the attacker has to give his back to the pack that now know his intent. This is a huge stumbling point for humans because they are ego-invested. In training we see over and over again that people ignore opportunities to get away. Your mindset should be to fight to get away, not fighting to win. Unless you are duty bound such as law enforcement or military, define for yourself what “winning” means.

If blending in and movement fails, you are left with only one option, and that is to fight. It will not be a pretty fight. You have been backed into a corner, your blood pressure is up, and you are experiencing vasoconstriction causing your blood to pool into your core leaving your fingertips numb. You will need open hand skills to fend off your attacker in order to gain time and distance. This is where animals use their claws. Sometimes it is enough to make the predator think twice, sometimes not. You have no idea what position you will be forced into and have to fight from. In your training, do you consider every conceivable possible position and fight from them or are you taking the easy way out? Every time you are attacked it will not be with you standing upright with weapons exposed. Can you access your weapons? Do you have open hand skills to fall back on? In the middle of the fight, at contact distance, do you think you will default to trying to draw your own counter weapon when your attacker is attacking you with a knife or trying to deploy a gun? Do you have the skills to suppress or redirect the attack allowing you to access your weapons? Lots to ponder.

Final thoughts, the key to survival is to first attempt to blend in no matter what, then if you are identified as a target to avoid the attack using movement, and if all else fails you need to be prepared to fight using a well rounded skill set based on fundamental principles, not those that fixate on tools first.

2. Remove Ads

Brilliant comparison to the animal world!

Spot On!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The more I read of your's, the more I like.

Not that my opinion matters. I just thought I'd let you know.

Biker

VIP Member
    Very insightful, thanks for the thought provoking post.

For the people who by 'nature' are not the type who have patience or mentality to read much more than soundbites.

I strongly suggest rather than skip all of Mercop's statements you simply read the following four sentences as parsed from the whole.

These are facts as backed up by _REAL WORLD_ results, and not just because Mercop stated as much or that I happen to in this instance very much as in 100% agree.

If you do not read or take away nothing else from his posting do read and KNOW this...

[Escape/Evasion] is a huge stumbling point for humans because they are ego-invested.

In training we see over and over again that people ignore opportunities to get away.
    Your mindset should be to fight to get away, not fighting to win.

Unless you are duty bound such as law enforcement or military, define for yourself what “winning” means.

- Mercop
    This exact subject and position has come up here at this site as related to positions and arguments toward post event analysis of real world occurrences where literally people have stated in posts that they would risk their own life, that of their family in the immediate and/or well being into the future, and/or the lives of third person innocents so as to only for their own singular benefit possibly gain some degree of ego stroking comeuppance against those who might trespass against them, or third party others.
    It's ridiculous, sad, and in several cases disturbing.

Having teeth and claws is not an excuse nor even allowance to use them, even if conditionally to do so might be 'lawful' or 'justifiable'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

RMS
    Thanks for the info. Look forward to reading more.

Glad you guys find my ramblings useful. - George

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That was very interesting; thanks.

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Here are some the most common things that people do that draw attention to themselves-

Carrying purpose driven self-defense tools that do not have an obvious legitimate purpose.
    Mercop...can you give me an example of something that fits this criteria. I followed your post, and I thought the comparison to animals is excellent. I'm just not sure I'm clear on this one point. In particular...why a self defense tool would not have "an obvious legitimate purpose".
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Good food for thought...and when animals are forced into a fight, it's fast, vicious, and hopefully not 'fair' tatics that are used.

mercop, thanks for another good post...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good comparisons to the animal kingdom.

I read the other day that humans are the only species that try to talk themselves out of recognizing danger: "Oh, I'm just being paranoid." On that point, we could learn from the animals, as we could from several points you made.

Good stuff. Keeps me thinking.

What I want to know is....have you ever eaten earthworms? I have.
    Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Mercop...can you give me an example of something that fits this criteria. I followed your post, and I thought the comparison to animals is excellent. I'm just not sure I'm clear on this one point. In particular...why a self defense tool would not have "an obvious legitimate purpose".
    There seems to be a fixation these days with people carrying things made out of things like titanium and Kryptonite for use as koppo sticks kubatons. They draw attention. More often what I see is people taking a great self-defense tool like flashlights and turning them into edged weapons by adding a strike bezel.

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    There seems to be a fixation these days with people carrying things made out of things like titanium and Kryptonite for use as koppo sticks kubatons. They draw attention. More often what I see is people taking a great self-defense tool like flashlights and turning them into edged weapons by adding a strike bezel.
    Thanks for that explanation. I was thinking along a totally different train of thought. I'm glad I asked for clarification.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Links