Incredibly Stupid!! LEO Firearms Instructor Accidently Kills Student

This is a discussion on Incredibly Stupid!! LEO Firearms Instructor Accidently Kills Student within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you do blast back, I can take it. Blast what? You havent said anything that I disagree with. Just remember what one can get ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Incredibly Stupid!! LEO Firearms Instructor Accidently Kills Student

Senior Moderator
    If you do blast back, I can take it.
    Blast what? You havent said anything that I disagree with.

Just remember what one can get away with is different from state to state. We in the south can get away with things that deal with guns that would get you locked up forever in the antigun states.

I have a hard time beleiving that ANY instructor could be so foolish, but it just goes to show that every proffesion has its incompetants. One would have thought that being an LEO Instructor, fools like him would have been weeded out of the process long before it got to the point that somebody died. Not only will he pay for it for the rest of his life, but so will everyone in the chain of command that could have prevented a needless death, but didnt.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Blast what? You havent said anything that I disagree with.

Just remember what one can get away with is different from state to state. We in the south can get away with things that deal with guns that would get you locked up forever in the antigun states.

I have a hard time beleiving that ANY instructor could be so foolish, but it just goes to show that every proffesion has its incompetants. One would have thought that being an LEO Instructor, fools like him would have been weeded out of the process long before it got to the point that somebody died. Not only will he pay for it for the rest of his life, but so will everyone in the chain of command that could have prevented a needless death, but didnt.
    I hoped I hadn't said too much. My friends often say, "Come on, George, tell us what you really think." When I look at them they look like an old Memorex commercial - the guy sitting infront of the speakers with his hair all blown straight back.

Yes, we in the south can get away with things people in antigun states cannot and that is part of what bothers me. I live next door in Alabama and we are as pro gun as a state gets. Our new "castle doctrine" law goes into effect in 51 days. And I cannot see anyone in my state justifying that needless death. Maybe I'm too idealistic, but I don't think so. After all I am on the CC forum and my wife and I both have permits and carry concealed.

Like I said I believe that part of it is just being a librarian at a women's college lets me see hundreds of young women about the same age as Tara Drummond and it reinforces the understanding of what a waste it was.

My last post under this thread. I am getting too involved. I will watch for further developments. Take care.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Like I said I believe that part of it is just being a librarian at a women's college lets me see hundreds of young women about the same age as Tara Drummond and it reinforces the understanding of what a waste it was.
    Im with ya. Everytime I work a terrible wreck with kids the same age as mine it gets me to thinkin. I think that that hits me about as hard as anything. I attended a wreck in which a 19 year old kid died as a result of his injurys. There I was holding the kids head knowing that any breath could be his last. The whole time I was thinking that it could just as easily have been my own. A worthless death it was, caused by alcohol.

When you can relate to a tragedy like that, it cause lots and lots of reflection. I dont know that it ever gets any easier. Sometimes the circumstances,( in this case the no-bill)just seems to compound the whole problem...as if the death itself wasnt enough, its kindof insulting that it appears that he got away with being stupid. Personally, I think that although he may have slipped by on this one,its far from being over.

Only time will tell.

Most of these guys are cocky, but I will say that my CCW instructor was not only well qualified but very humble. When you get cocky things can go wrong.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    the only issue i have on this post is the LEO screaming , yes he was but i remind you idiots come from all professions , and this is not safe gun handeling in any that i am aware of so profession seems a moot point

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    and this is not safe gun handeling in any that i am aware of so profession seems a moot point
    +1 to that. A great way of phrasing what I think many of us were trying to say.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Really???

A quote from this very disturbing article:

Carole Morgan, director of the training center, said Friday instructors were following standard procedures when the shooting occurred.

"Everything that we were doing was consistent with what we should have been doing," Morgan said. "There is no live ammunition in our classes."

Well, I beg to differ; Their was at least one live round in the classroom!!!
    Kerry

"An armed Society is a polite society"

Just goes to show that the most qualified, don't know every thing.
    USMC '86-'92
    NRA Life, VFW Life
    Hell Yeah, I'm American !

WOW!!! What a senseless tragedy!!!! The powers that be should re think charges against the instructor. That sounds like negligent Homicide From the limited info I have heard.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Maybe more common than we think. I know a firearms instructor who does something very similar when teaching CCW classes. He insists that at least once - that each student, after showing clear, point the gun at him (he does not allow the gun to be pointed at anyone else) and drop the hammer on an empty chamber. His reasoning is to make sure that each person can pull the trigger on a real person - just once.

I don't necessarily agree with his methods - but to his defense he is very cautious and 'safe' and does not allow muzzles to cross any person other than himself.
    I would never do that to that instructor. Period. I would walk out of the class. Accidents can and DO happen. I don't want to be the one charged with manslaughter if something like this were to happen. Just because I won't pull the trigger on an instructor, doesn't mean that I won't defend myself or family when the time comes.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Sorry if I'm insulting anyone's instructor, but. . .

He insists that at least once - that each student, after showing clear, point the gun at him (he does not allow the gun to be pointed at anyone else) and drop the hammer on an empty chamber. His reasoning is to make sure that each person can pull the trigger on a real person - just once.
    That is about the lamest thing I've heard in quite a while! (Maybe I do need to get out more.)

The fact that a person will pull the trigger while pointing a gun they know to be unloaded at another person proves NOTHING. Well, nothing except that they and the instructor have no respect for the very basic gun-safety rules.

The REAL PROBLEM is that far too many people WILL pull the trigger on another person, with a gun that they THINK is not loaded!

Yes, that was supposed to be read as a lot of SCREAMING

On second thought, I'm not sorry if I insulted anyone's instructor. It was my intention to do so. (Not you, the instructor.)

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links