My idea for a school

This is a discussion on My idea for a school within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Yeah, I've done that too. The problem with it is, even with the live fire and explosions, you know you will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My idea for a school

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, I've done that too. The problem with it is, even with the live fire and explosions, you know you will be just fine. Nobody there wanted to hurt you.
    I know I can't create a class where I'm going to off some students, but I can create one where I get the pucker factor as high as possible.

Another aspect that is hardly ever properly addressed is everything that come after a shooting. The mental, legal and financial drains it puts on people and their familys. Nobody is adequately preparing the CCW culture for that. Yeah, they might spend a few minutes dusting over the topic, but nobody really gets down and dirty into the bowels of the real pit of the 'aftermath'.
    very true on all accounts

I know you know this Sixto.......live fire simunitions scenarios is probably the closest you can come to the real thing, it was great during the academy, I learned a lot
    the problem is getting permission and costs associated with sims rounds/weapons
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Just to be clear, I wasn't really asking for help with a name. I was using the play on words to illustrate a much larger point.

I was just making the point that a lot of these shooting schools would be better served to replace the word "tactical" with the word typical.
    But, 99 out of 100 responses to a life threatening situation are hardly the orchestrated tactical response taught to people. Its going to be a chaotic "Holy S***T" fight or flight response. Yes, maybe you will use some of the tools taught to you, but it wont be in the same context that you were taught in. I can guarantee that.
    I'm saying, why not embrace the human nature element and deal with it realistically instead of pretending its not there and everybody is Bruce Willis who laughs in the face of danger and eats bullets for the hell of it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGal View Post
    How about WTSHTF Academy?
    I'll go for "Sixto's Home-Defense Tactical Foundations Academy", or SHTF Academy for short.
    Attached Images
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Another aspect that is hardly ever properly addressed is everything that come after a shooting. The mental, legal and financial drains it puts on people and their familys. Nobody is adequately preparing the CCW culture for that.
    I wouldn't quite say nobody, there. That is pretty much Mas Ayoob's bailiwick, at least at the LFI-1 & 2 level instruction, and it is one of the main reasons I picked that as my first real course to attend. I do, however, agree that is definitely an under-represented part of the curriculum in most self-defense schools.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I like the idea....a name that actually gets to the point of your mission and is real "real world".
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I wouldn't quite say nobody, there. That is pretty much Mas Ayoob's bailiwick, at least at the LFI-1 & 2 level instruction, and it is one of the main reasons I picked that as my first real course to attend. I do, however, agree that is definitely an under-represented part of the curriculum in most self-defense schools.
    Yeah, maybe nobody was a bit far sweeping. Mas does do that a bit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read Sixto's post.

Sign me up as well. When do we get the t-shirts that say "I survived................"?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    You might want to consider something like:

How To Get Out of a Sticky Situation Without Soiling Your Pants Academy
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    You might want to consider something like:

How To Get Out of a Sticky Situation Without Soiling Your Pants Academy
    Now thats what I call a sticky situation.

Sorry, I'm a Southpark fan.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Whatever you call your school you'll attract a lot of folks from the internet if you add, "Not for Geckos".
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Scared Sheepless? lol You're right on about most not dealing with the aftermath of a shoot. Seems unless you do your own research beforehand you're SOL.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    Before I started to take self-defense seriously, I was mugged at gunpoint. I wanted to learn if my reactions were typical in a scared-to-death situation. It's one thing to hear or read about it, but another to experience it first hand. I appreciate those who try to put into words what they experienced as well as those who try to simulate real world training. The variables in situation and personality make it difficult to generalize, but the shock and adrenaline burn can be likened to that of waking to the feel of tires on the shoulder after dozing off at the wheel.

Because we are trained drivers, we instantly know the problem and how to solve it, so the shock and adrenaline dissipate under control. Driver's ed taught us how to drive and told us not to fall asleep at the wheel. Shooter's ed teaches us how to shoot and tells us not to get into victim situations. But the law of natural selection cannot be learned except through real world experience.

WWII pilots who survived five missions of real life shooting training in combat went on to become aces. Those unfortunates, who didn't make it, all had the same ground school and flight training. So what made the difference? What kind of training can give one a decisive edge on the street? Driver's ed can't run you off the road, so you'll know what to expect. Airsoft aside, I can't shoot at my students, in order to give them a taste of adrenaline and the will to survive.

Sixto's Strategic Survival School
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links