My idea for a school

This is a discussion on My idea for a school within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reading over the training section, and looking at different school names, I see a lot of Tactical this and that; Tactical Defense, Tactical Options, Tactical ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My idea for a school

Administrator

My idea for a school

Reading over the training section, and looking at different school names, I see a lot of Tactical this and that; Tactical Defense, Tactical Options, Tactical Response etc.

I learned in business school that the name of your company means a lot. It tells the customer what you are all about. The first impression is the most important right? I don't what an unprofessional sounding or misleading name.

So, what am I rambling about? Stick with me a minute...

I want to provide real world training, training that prepares you for what really happens during an armed encounter. Sure, these other schools teach all sorts of slick high speed low drag tricks to be wicked with your pistol on the range, but none (that I know of) really pound in the reality of the O.S.F and human nature. Things never go as planned NEVER! Anybody who has been in combat, be it military on on the street, can tell you that much. The answer to A is never B as a dynamic situation is always evolving for whatever reason.
    My idea is to get a real world response out of the students, so they know what to expect. Being realistic, I know that I'm not going to turn some cubical dwelling Poindexter into The Duke or Rambo during his weekend guncation. I can teach him to kill paper targets pretty darn well, but what happens when there is a real fear factor involved?
    Human nature and experience tells me there will be little girl like screaming, some running for cover, and maybe even dirtying of drawers. Lets prepare for that, understand that unless you are an extremely rare breed of person or have tons and tons of combat training along with experience, this is reality. We need to learn to operate within that reality to be successful in a fight.

So what does that have to do with the beginning of my post? Back to the name... I'm thinking of naming my traveling circus something like
    "Typical Response" or "Real Options"

Its not so glitzy or sexy as "Tactical" but what the hell, its honest.

"Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    How about "Dynamic Response"? Or you could go with "Soiled Drawers Uber-Tactical Response" and offer free Depends pack with each session.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    How about "Dynamic Response"? Or you could go with "Soiled Drawers Uber-Tactical Response" and offer free Depends pack with each session.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    good thought-provoking thread Sixto

I've too thought about starting my own small business on the side teaching some basic self-defense skills, mindset, firearms training, etc. I too thought that the name of the business needs to not sound mall-ninjaish and needs to relate to Suzie Q Public not John Q Public. If I can get the women and non-gun people to enter I reach the folks that likely need it the most.
    Of course I'd incorporate something pertaining to the Lone Star State

Sixto, how about "Adrenaline Dump-controlling Self-reliant Sheep Converters of Ohio, Inc."
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    You've got a good point, Sixto.

I already know that I have exactly two reasons for taking shooting courses---competition and self-defense. There are several schools I might go to knowing that they will focus on competition skills, and they interest me precisely because they don't try to turn that type of class into am ueber-tactical, pseudo-MOUT weekend warrior course. A lot of the self-defense type shooting schools seem a little too focused on Rambo-fication, as opposed to the type of skills needed by the home defender or CCW carrier.

The question that I suspect a lot of instructors grapple with, though, is how far can you go when everybody involved knows it is simulated? Yes, there is an adrenaline factor in competition and also in trying not to look stupid in front of your teachers and fellow students, but most people aren't going to reach the Depends stage in a training environment.

If somebody could solve that problem, I'll sign up for the first class.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Sign me up, SIXTO! I think you are right on the money!
    [One Nation Under God]

cj
    My NRA 'Personal defense in the home' course I took (for my CCW) was taught a bit like this with some of the considerations you describe (not sure if it's standard or not, but that's how mine went) In the course of fire for the class, one section is to yell something before shooting...

I have heard about one instructor (not in my class) who told his class to yell, "I can't believe this is happening to me!" since that's what's typically running through your head. He'd even had a student follow up at a later date saying that that is exactly what she yelled before having to shoot an attacker.

Thank you for this very thought provoking thread Sixto.

Being that I am getting older, and moving slower, I may need those Depends. Many techniques from competition have worked to improve shooting technique IRL encounters, but certainly not all of them.

Arriving at, or deciding on a business name, that attracts Suzy Soccer Mom can be a challenge, especially if you want to attract the "psuedo-gunnies" as well.

Biker

How about WTSHTF Academy?

When I took my tactical class they had live fire over our heads and explosions going off. Sixto are you going to have that type of class?
    How about Sixto's Situation Awareness Finishing School ?

Semper Fi

Administrator
    Tell them that the instruction is going to start in 15 or 20 minutes and send them over for an ice cold drink and a donut first.

On their casual way over to the refreshment stand ambush them and "kill" them all with a paintball gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    When I took my tactical class they had live fire over our heads and explosions going off. Sixto are you going to have that type of class? Semper Fi
    Are you referring to your military training which includes hidden artillery ground burst similators, etc.?

Somehow I envisioned that Sixto had something in mind that would be more atuned to a real potential civilian scenario that would attract students of both genders.

Other possible names:

Civilian Defense (Select applicable ending: [ ] Academy [ ] School [ ] Training [ ] Institute)

Defensive Awareness (Select applicable ending: School, etc)

Covering Your Six(to)

Institute for Covering Your Six(to).
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    When I took my tactical class they had live fire over our heads and explosions going off. Sixto are you going to have that type of class?
    How about Sixto's Situation Awareness Finishing School ?

Semper Fi
    Yeah, I've done that too. The problem with it is, even with the live fire and explosions, you know you will be just fine. Nobody there wanted to hurt you.
    I know I can't create a class where I'm going to off some students, but I can create one where I get the pucker factor as high as possible.

Another aspect that is hardly ever properly addressed is everything that come after a shooting. The mental, legal and financial drains it puts on people and their familys. Nobody is adequately preparing the CCW culture for that. Yeah, they might spend a few minutes dusting over the topic, but nobody really gets down and dirty into the bowels of the real pit of the 'aftermath'.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Keep it simple. Self Defense, Inc. Self Defense Solutions. Active Defense. Preparedness, LLC. Skillset Dynamics. <g> Makes better logos, too!

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    My NRA 'Personal defense in the home' course I took (for my CCW) was taught a bit like this with some of the considerations you describe (not sure if it's standard or not, but that's how mine went) In the course of fire for the class, one section is to yell something before shooting...

I have heard about one instructor (not in my class) who told his class to yell, "I can't believe this is happening to me!" since that's what's typically running through your head. He'd even had a student follow up at a later date saying that that is exactly what she yelled before having to shoot an attacker.
    I would violate forum rules, so I can't type here what I've said to people when I've had to draw on them

and its exactly what goes through my mind
    It helps to relay the point to the subject that they are about to get shot if..........

May not work from some ranges where language is restricted or may be offensive to some, but in the real world when you're dealing with a total dirtbag that may be the only language they understand, it is a good idea to get in the habit of saying something, yelling at the prospective perp makes you BREATH also, very important

I had a vehicle run from me a couple weeks ago, stopped and driver bailed, I gave chase, as I approached the pickup I could now see there were multiple people in it so I drew and gave some harsh commands while retreating to the cover of my car and waited for backup
    turns out 2 drunk/high adults and 3 kids under 7 in there, I felt bad for saying what I did in front of the kids but in the moment you do what you have to do
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links