Friend Shot Himself Reholstering

This is a discussion on Friend Shot Himself Reholstering within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Something that I have been saying for years. This is where the part of the holster that "covers the trigger guard" ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friend Shot Himself Reholstering

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Something that I have been saying for years.

This is where the part of the holster that "covers the trigger guard" causes NDs rather than prevents them.

A shooter goes to quickly reholster - the index finger is (whoops!) still inside the trigger guard - the holster pushes the index finger - the finger then pushes the trigger - the gun goes Bang!

Just FYI.
    Yeah but that's still not an issue with the holster. It's still violating one of the all important rules of keeping the booger hook off the bang switch. That holster pressing the index finger into the trigger CANNOT happen if the finger isn't in the guard and/or already on the switch. It ALWAYS comes back to RULES RULES RULES!

edit:
    I'd be really curious to see what actually happened in this case, if of course the friend is readily able to admit to all the factors involved.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    One of my club's experienced IDPA shooters managed that same trick, while reholstering after loading for a stage. (At least he had the good grace to have his oops elsewhere, and not at our local club! )

We always remind out shooters---you may draw on the clock, but you don't holster on the clock. That's true about most holstering situations, too. It's always worth taking the time to do it right.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

It couldnt have been booger picker hanging up on the holster simply because the entry wound was at his belt line. Either he still had his finger on the trigger and snagged some clothing or something or it was a cook off. Sadly the people with him were well behind the firing line and didnt see anything. He's still a little out of it from the pain killers I believe. The doctors said today would be when he really feels the pins and metal rod they inserted in his leg. I dont even want to imagine what that feels like.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Just wondering, is it possible that he re-holstered at an inward angle and the holster caught the trigger? The shot entered at "belt level" traveling down the leg.
    Standing with feet shoulder width apart a downward shot would hit mid to lower thigh on most of us.
    Something else to look at, cook off, finger on trigger during re-holstering or trigger snagged on holster.
    See if we can find out info on his carry gear.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    See if we can find out info on his carry gear.
    He has a Blackhawk Serpa and a Comptac (I believe the Minotaur). Im not sure which holster he was using.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I know the M-TAC has a area that can be a potential trigger snag.
    In order for weapon to fire you have to miss completely sliding the gun along the outside of the holster witch points the shot down and away from you.
    I can't speak for the Blackhawk Serpa.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A shooter goes to quickly reholster - the index finger is (whoops!) still inside the trigger guard - the holster pushes the index finger - the finger then pushes the trigger - the gun goes Bang!
    I couldnt agree more. Firearm safety is a fulltime job.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I would guess he was using the Serpa if the bullet hit his thigh first, the Minoutaur would have probably hit his butt cheek. So much for all of the XDs are safer than Glocks threads I've seen on other forums. Hope he doesn't have any long term damage.

Administrator
    I agree that it's not really a holster issue but, folks that try to move quicker than their skill level and then have that "brain fart" when reholstering and as soon as they realize it - it's already too late.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Oh man, that's gotta hurt. And as someone with permanent metal in my leg (plate and 9 screws), I know that the recovery can hurt more than the injury.

Prayers sent!

As for the gun issue, as an XD owner, I always reholster with hand off the grip safety.

The Wolf cook-off issue may certainly be the cause. Question is why did he reholster after click? If you're out of ammo, slide locks back, so click means something is wrong. (Not in any way trying to beat up on your friend, just wanting to reinforce these issues for myself and others.)
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Those XD's are dangerous!

Administrator
    It's never good news when any person that enjoys any of the shooting sports gets hurt.

The thread is a good reminder for folks to be careful and mindful around firearms.

Hoping that he has as complete a recovery as is humanly possible.

Best wishes for your friend.

Everytime I push my XD into the holster, I take my hand off the grip and push down on the slide, next to the metal indicator (that shows the slide is cocked). That way, if in the off chance the trigger were to be pressed somehow, the grip safety is engaged. Definitely not something I rush, as I am relatively new to this whole thing.

Sorry about your friend...he let his muscle memory lapse.
    When ever I tuck my Glock back in the holster, I'm thinking about my finger and my shirt...nothing can be in the way.
    You don't reholster a Glock when your brain is 'farting'...never!
    (If it's just a regular old fart, it's OK...I can do that without muscle memory being ruined...although it may ruin the muscle memory of those around me.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry about your friend. The one thing that I don't like to do and therefore do it as infrequently as possible is to reholster a firearm. I am so anal about my trigger finger that for the past 10 years when I run I always hold my index finger pointed. When I go to pick up a spoon or fork my index finger is always pointed. I am very careful and figure for the most part I can avoid an accident as long as my finger is off the trigger.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links