Friend Shot Himself Reholstering

This is a discussion on Friend Shot Himself Reholstering within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I certainly hope your friend recovers ok. Aside from the speculation inherent in this discussion, due to the fact that no one really knows what ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friend Shot Himself Reholstering

I certainly hope your friend recovers ok.

Aside from the speculation inherent in this discussion, due to the fact that no one really knows what happened for sure, I think there is a bit of foolishness that may have also led to this incident. He said he was practicing drawing, firing, reholstering real fast and repeating that???

Think about this, what usefullness would it ever serve someone in the real world to be able to holster real fast? Fast draw, yes; when ones life is in danger and they need to quickly deploy the weapon. But, the time for reholstering should be after the shooting is over and the threat is either neutralized or no longer present. Then you should have plenty of time to be careful.

How does "speed holstering" have any practical application to self defense. (rhetorical quesition, not a hijack attempt)

I think this kind of thing comes from the Tactical Tommy, run and gun game world, and has no practical application beyond that world. It's a shame that people are convinced otherwise and injure themselves.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

So does any one care to guess how hot your gun has to be to "cook"
    off a round?
    We shot a rifle side match yesterday and man my gun was smoking "really".
    I.ve fire some pretty long stages and had a really hot pistol before.

I do wish your friend a quick recovery

But i would like to offer up my .02
    Even though iam not a XD owner you can not really blame this on the XD, Glock (yes i do), etc..
    If these 3 simple rules were followed this would not have happened:

1. Keep your finger off the trigger
    2. Keep your ***** finger out of the trigger guard
    3. Keep your ***** finger out of the ***** trigger
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

+1 sgtD. I am pretty sure that I wouldn't speed reholster. Could definately be a problem.

I agree with you all on the fast reholster and told him so. I told him how in my last class we were taught to put the gun in the sol position and scan your surroundings no matter what drill we were running. That way if a round did cook off your only pointing at the ground. He agreed thats a much better idea and I'm sure this is a "self correcting problem" that wont ever happen again.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

The only incident I've had reholstering was a bit of the spare tire flesh somehow worked between my holster and a 1911. Pinched the fire out of me... enough to remember every time I reholster . Minor (UNDERSTATEMENT) compared to this!

Best wishes and a speedy recovery for your friend!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

DM2
    Okay, for the newbie here (me). What exactly is "cooking off a round"? Can this happen with any firearm? Is this inherent to a specific gun or ammo? The XDM 9MM is on my short list for purchase and I haven't read anything about this issue during my research.

I hope this isn't a stupid question. If it is, please go easy on me. I've really been doing a lot of research so I can purchase the best I can afford right now for my first purchase.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Okay, for the newbie here (me). What exactly is "cooking off a round"? Can this happen with any firearm? Is this inherent to a specific gun or ammo? The XDM 9MM is on my short list for purchase and I haven't read anything about this issue during my research. .
    Im sorry Ive always called it cooking off a round. The actual name is a hangfire, its a misfire that even after the "click" might still go off cause its "cooking" on the inside. If you ever have one hold your gun aiming downrange at the very least for 1 minute. Its rare but happens sometimes with old mil surp ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    My friend Saturday was out shooting his XD when he was reholstering and shot himself at belt level. The bullet traveled down his thigh and came out beside his kneecap, breaking his leg in the process. He is laid up for 5 to 6 weeks and expects many good jokes about his stupidity when he gets back to work. Just a good reminder to keep up your trigger discipline and to take your time reholstering.
    I hope your buddy heals up 100% and I really hope this teaches him a lesson that he really takes to heart. He could have easily hit the femoral artery and bled out in a minute or so. Trigger finger discipline is crucial! He just showed everyone why.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

There is actually a term for a round cooking off and it requires that you fire so fast and the barrel/chamber gets so hot it ignites the powder in the cartridge from the heat,I've only seen this happen with an M60 machinegun and linked belts of ammo with sustained fire,the barrel literally turned red and even when the gunner took his finger off the trigger the gun kept firing,twisting the belt stops the rounds feeding and stops the runaway gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I've only seen this happen with an M60 machinegun
    Same here. And I have seen many that were cherry red and it didn't happen.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ......This is where the part of the holster that "covers the trigger guard" causes NDs rather than prevents them.

A shooter goes to quickly reholster - the index finger is (whoops!) still inside the trigger guard - the holster pushes the index finger - the finger then pushes the trigger - the gun goes Bang!....

Yeah man, I agree. This is why I carry with (gasp!) empty chamber. To me, it just seems safer for day-to-day gun handling. If I was a LEO on duty or a soldier on combat duty, then it'd be different. If it takes me an extra fraction of a second to chamber a round, then so be it. Better than shooting my leg (or other important parts, lol) off, or maybe injuring innocent bystander.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yeah man, I agree. This is why I carry with (gasp!) empty chamber. To me, it just seems safer for day-to-day gun handling. If I was a LEO on duty or a soldier on combat duty, then it'd be different. If it takes me an extra fraction of a second to chamber a round, then so be it. Better than shooting my leg (or other important parts, lol) off, or maybe injuring innocent bystander.

-
    The key is practice. Carrying with an empty chamber isn't going to do you much good when you need your gun or after using it! As I explain in this thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...week-sort.html I needed to use my gun (and in a pretty good hurry at first). Then I had to reholster a chambered weapon while still stressed about the event. Carrying it chambered in the first place allowed me to deploy my firearm in a hurry. Practice made this habit second nature.

Others in previous postings discussed thumb safeties. You still have to remember to turn the safety on and remove your finger from the trigger guard - that all comes from practice so that the action is second nature even though your mind is still stressed from using your gun.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Broke his leg? Let's hear it for .45 ACP. Hope he gets better soon.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Broke his leg? Let's hear it for .45 ACP. Hope he gets better soon.
    Actually he was shooting a 9mm Springfield XD using some wolf target ammo. It broke his femur completely in two, thats the reason for the pins and metal rod.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links