Friend Shot Himself Reholstering - Page 4

Friend Shot Himself Reholstering

This is a discussion on Friend Shot Himself Reholstering within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yikes! Hope he has a speedy recovery....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Yikes! Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There is actually a term for a round cooking off and it requires that you fire so fast and the barrel/chamber gets so hot it ignites the powder in the cartridge from the heat,I've only seen this happen with an M60 machinegun and linked belts of ammo with sustained fire,the barrel literally turned red and even when the gunner took his finger off the trigger the gun kept firing,twisting the belt stops the rounds feeding and stops the runaway gun
    That's right on the money. Had it happen to me with an M60 many years ago. Twisting the belt does stop it but things happen so fast you may run through the belt before you react. I wouldn't think this could happen with a handgun. You can't get enough rounds thru it fast enough to heat it up sufficiently. An M60 is a different story. Seen barrels get so hot they seem translucent. Not that hard to get the barrel to warp. Sure gets your attention when it happens .

Hope your friend recovers fully and tell him to stay away from Wolf ammo. I tried Wolf ammo years ago on my HK USP 45. About 20 rounds through I got a jam, it was a good thing it jammed. After closer inspection the casing had a hairline crack in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    Hope your friend recovers fully and tell him to stay away from Wolf ammo. I tried Wolf ammo years ago on my HK USP 45. About 20 rounds through I got a jam, it was a good thing it jammed. After closer inspection the casing had a hairline crack in it.
    You will occasionally find a dud in any type of "bargain" ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf 9mm w/o any problems. I've actually had more problems with WWB.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    KenpoTex
    "I've actually had more problems with WWB."

So have I but, some folks are using WWB and have never had a problem.
    I guess it just doesn't like me and so I don't ever use it much.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    The key is practice. Carrying with an empty chamber isn't going to do you much good when you need your gun or after using it!
    Since people have used chamber empty in dangerous places for many decades, I doubt that's true.

As for practice -- reholstering is a dangerous activity, when any bit of cloth from the shirt can catch the trigger. What's there to practice? -- it's different each time you reholster.

Maybe we should ask the OP's friend what he thinks about the relative danger of NDs vs gunfights.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Ouch hope he is back to it asap
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I know the M-TAC has a area that can be a potential trigger snag.
    In order for weapon to fire you have to miss completely sliding the gun along the outside of the holster witch points the shot down and away from you.
    I can't speak for the Blackhawk Serpa.
    I have both a MTAC and a Serpa, and in a quick test just now I could not contrive any way hook the trigger on my Glock by sliding or jamming it against either holster.

What I can picture though is having your finger indexed along the slide, swinging the gun back to holster it, the front of the gun hitting the holster and then your finger slipping off the slide and into the trigger guard as your hand rotates due to the stoppage.

Anyway, that is a good reminder to take your time while reholstering, especially if you are tempted to cut corners while running a repetitive drill.

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    What I can picture though is having your finger indexed along the slide, swinging the gun back to holster it, the front of the gun hitting the holster and then your finger slipping off the slide and into the trigger guard as your hand rotates due to the stoppage.

Anyway, that is a good reminder to take your time while reholstering, especially if you are tempted to cut corners while running a repetitive drill.
    I agree, he's still not sure if he had a hangfire or he stupidly pulled the trigger while about to reholster. That's why I posted it here in the training section. He always reholstered too fast. There is no doubt in my mind or his that that was the cause of him getting shot. The only mystery is if it was ammo related or not.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Draw quickly, Reholster slowly. Advice given to me a long time ago, back in the stone ages when revolvers was the norm.

VIP Member
    I hope he makes a speedy recovery. If he had a click(the loudest sound in the universe) instead of a bang, did he hold downrange, then keeping his face away from the action, eject the round to inspect it? My instincts are to tap and rack the instant I feel the click. Others do a double strike first. In his situation, I'm thinking hang fire or something hit the trigger before getting to the holster, from what I've read about the entry wound. I've experienced hang fires, dud primers, and squibs with just about every brand out there. Although few and far between, it's something that could use another thread. The M60, with all due respect for a fine implement, would win any texas chilli cook-off.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have noticed a bad tendency to muzzle oneself when reholstering IWB. Good case for using dry fire with draw practice.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Obviously, practice is key. Many times I will holster the gun and then put the holster on my belt. I can see what is going on and have the gun pointed away from me or anything I care about in case of an ND. Just makes me feel a little better.

Thanks for sharing the experience. It's a great thing to be reminded of! Here's wishing your buddy a speedy recovery.

XD Service models at least are available with thumb safeties but few have them I gather. I didn't even notice my XD 45 had one till I got it home the first day, I didn't even know it was an option. I *do* like it for re-holstering. I don't often holster it though, except in my Titan Gun Vault.

My regular carry is a Kahr PM9 which of course is DAO with no active safeties, not even a trigger safty like the Glock. So I am pretty used to careful holstering anyway. With the XD what I'll do is flip the thumb safety on, holster, then flip it off. That way my draw/fire routine is identical to the Kahr's. Even with the XD's backstrap safety you have to be careful reholstering just like with a glock or Kahr.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links