Friend Shot Himself Reholstering

This is a discussion on Friend Shot Himself Reholstering within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend Saturday was out shooting his XD when he was reholstering and shot himself at belt level. The bullet traveled down his thigh and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

My friend Saturday was out shooting his XD when he was reholstering and shot himself at belt level. The bullet traveled down his thigh and came out beside his kneecap, breaking his leg in the process. He is laid up for 5 to 6 weeks and expects many good jokes about his stupidity when he gets back to work. Just a good reminder to keep up your trigger discipline and to take your time reholstering.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Senior Moderator
    Ouch!

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Whoa! Hope he heals-up quickly. Good reminder that it can happen to any of us. Maybe an XD equipped with a thumb safety? The older I get, the more I'm convinced it's a good idea.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

DM2
    Wow, I hope your friend makes a full recovery. And, don't harass him to bad. I'm sure he's feeling really bad (ego wise) as it is.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Ouch!!! Man, that is terrible. You can get it right a ten thousand times but that one time you get it wrong can be costly.

I hope he makes a full recover.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Whoa! Hope he heals-up quickly. Good reminder that it can happen to any of us. Maybe an XD equipped with a thumb safety? The older I get, the more I'm convinced it's a good idea.
    I constantly worry about this type of occurrence for those Glock, M&P and XD owners. I suppose that we could say that this could be prevented by keeping the hand away from the grip safety.

The more I think about it, the external safety is sounding more attractive. Few 1911 users would keep it cocked with the safety off. Yet few true devotees of the concealed carry art favor an external safety on anything other than a 1911.

It is my understanding that an external safety is available for M&P 45 and for the XD 45.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I sure hope he fully recovers.

As an educational process can you be more specific how this happened? The XD is one of the safest semi-auto's made, and I'm not trying to pick on your friend, but maybe this info can help others using the old disclaimer:

Hey kids...don't try this at home.
    Proud NRA member

Ouch I bet that really hurt, some lessons are self taught
    Gun control is two hands on a 500 Smith/Wesson

Condolences to your friend. I wish him a speedy and healthy recovery. (Remind him not to scratch.)

Looking on the bright side, though: he won't ever forget the lessons learned.

That's the one minor concern I have, regarding having a gun without external safeties. One-handed reholstering on IWB gear can be a bit dicey, if anything hangs up in the process. Practice, practice, practice, with all sorts of clothing and cover garments. Finger/trigger discipline.

O!, may the finger, a glob of shirt material and the leather sweat guard never hang up on the trigger ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    'Condolences to your friend.

The thought goes thru my mind every time that I'm practicing 'quick draw' with the Glock.

I'm also curious how it happened? I'm very conscious of the 'booger hook', but I'm always thinking about what else might catch the trigger while I'm re-holstering @ 4 o'clock.

Administrator
    Something that I have been saying for years.

This is where the part of the holster that "covers the trigger guard" causes NDs rather than prevents them.

A shooter goes to quickly reholster - the index finger is (whoops!) still inside the trigger guard - the holster pushes the index finger - the finger then pushes the trigger - the gun goes Bang!

Just FYI.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I just hope there's no lingering side effects. Wounds around the knee tend to cause permanent damage requiring therapy. Good luck to him.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This is where the part of the holster that "covers the trigger guard" causes NDs rather than prevents them.
    Yup. It's the one thing about modern holster designs that worries me, a little, when paired with a gun lacking external safeties.

All in all, I tend to choose guns without such external safeties. But I try very hard to maintain competence with my specific holster/gun combination via repetitive practice with "dry" holstering and reholstering. Ain't nothing gonna guarantee it will avoid ND's, but short of finger-proofing the firearm it isn't possible to do anyway. So, you rolls the dice and you takes your chances, taking what reasonable precautions you can take.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It came as quite a shock to me to hear he had shot himself. He's very safety oriented and has had alot of training as a former Airborne Ranger and elsewhere. I personally believe he holsters too quickly. He's not sure as of yet but thinks it could of been a round cooking off. He was using Wolf ammo and was drilling firing two shots reholstering and was repeating the drill over and over. He said he remembers a bang, click, start to reholster and thinking "Am I out of ammo" then the shot. He admits that most likely he accidentally shot himself but isnt ruling out the possibility of a cook off followed by reholstering too quickly.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

The XD series of guns actually has 1 more safety than glocks or M&P style pistols,they have a grip safety also,so to fire the gun while holstering would require a normal grip and pulling the trigger,or having his shirt get caught in the trigger guard while shoving the gun in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links