Defensive Carry banner

Did My First Idpa Match

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Miggy 
#1 ·
Well i did my first IDPA match yesterday (sunday).
what a bunch of fun that was.
was well organized. and a lotta nice folks.

i had no procedurals, no glaring errors except maybe in judgement on a few shots i thought i should "make up" and it turned out it took me a second to make it up and woulda only cost me 1/2 a second.
oh well.
i shot well, didn't make a fool of myself and had fun.
will be doing it next month fer sure!:banana:

#2 ·
Glad you enjoyed it - I had my first bit of IDPA shooting this Saturday and next week we start the comp' season off properly.

Much enjoyment is being with a good bunch of folks.

#4 ·
BCurry1 said:
Besides a gun and ammo, what else do you have to have?
You will need a holster (read the IDPA equipment rules for details), 3 magazines, a dual magazine holster, a cover garment, ear muffs or plugs, and eye protection.
In a pinch, you could probably stick the 2 spare mags in a pocket.
IDPA website
Good luck. :smile:

#5 ·
I ended up using my pocket for the extra mags.
i will be getting a double mag holder soon though.

kept confusing myself as to where i grabbed my current mag from.
pants pocket, vest pocket. no that ones gone!!
where is it!!!!!
3 seconds frittered away!!!

oh well i got it outta my system now.

#6 ·
In IDPA you have two kinds of shooters: Those who shoot tactical (defensive) and those who shoot for the game (gamers). I am firmly planted in the tactical side, I shoot like my life depends on the smart resolution of a Course of Fire. I slice the pie and take cover like real bullets are flying and I don't wanna get hit and I want my shots to be accurate as in putting the guy down. Gamers will squeeze every inch of advantage to go fast and maybe not so accurate but it evens out for them in the end. Both are valid and like Chris said "Much enjoyment is being with a good bunch of folks."
Whichever "team" you want to take, IDPA is fun and a great learning tool. Anybody visiting South Florida is invited to drop by and have a shoot with us. We will even waive the 3 Match Rule to make you guys feel at home <evil laugh>

#7 ·
I've been considering doing IDPA. My only beef is the equipment limitations on holsters. I don't want to have to buy a separate holster just for IDPA. I feel that the true nature of IDPA should allowfor individuals to use what they wear day-to-day.

#8 ·
Actually, Blinky, with the IDPA rules changes of last year you are more likely to be able to use your carry holster in competition. Those who bought a specific holster just for IDPA use are generally of the "gamer" school of thought.

Check out the rules at www.idpa.com and you'll likely find that your everyday carry holster, if a typical IWB or OWB, will work for you.

#9 ·
The holster thing is not that complicated. It cannot stick out too far from your body. It cannot have an excesive cant forward. it must maintain shape so the gun can be reholstered without the aid of the weak hand. It must cover the trigger. It cannot be designed to carry the gun too low (like a tactical mall ninja holster). In summary, if you can use it to carry the gun concealed everyday, you can use it.
Exceptions to this last rule are Cross Draw Holsters, Shoulder Holsters, Small of the Back Holsters, fannie packs, etc but more for safety reasons during matches than anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.