Well, I made a decision - Blackwater - 5 day Tactical Handgun II

This is a discussion on Well, I made a decision - Blackwater - 5 day Tactical Handgun II within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have struggled with which training course to take this summer and decided since Blackwater was within reasonable driving distance, it's good training, and I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I made a decision - Blackwater - 5 day Tactical Handgun II

Senior Moderator

Well, I made a decision - Blackwater - 5 day Tactical Handgun II

I have struggled with which training course to take this summer and decided since Blackwater was within reasonable driving distance, it's good training, and I've had level I, that I'd take their Level II handgun course. We're gonna shoot 2500 rounds in a week and do all kinds of different shooting drills.

And, I'm taking the Advanced Highway Safety course. The handgun course ends on Friday and the driving course is the next day - it couldn't have worked out better.

Needless to say, now that I've made up my mind, I'm excited! I'd better go shootin' today.

2. Remove Ads

Lucky Devil!!!! Have fun!

WOW! Is this the same outfit that hires security for overseas duty? If you do well enough, any chance they might offer you a job? I'd go to Iraq in a second for them. Heavily armed, no ROE and three thousand smackers a day in pay! 'Course ya gotta survive 3-6 months to collect....but I know a guy who did that for three years in different world hotspots after retiring from a job with his ummmm "Uncle," and now lives a very easy life on a farm in Virginia....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    It's the same outfit; different training. Survive 3-6 months? I just want to survive the week. LOL!

erh

Talking

Tangle - Congrats on your decision..! (Damn it; I thought I liked people on this board..!) I wish you a great trip..! (I wonder if flats on all 4 would do the trick...) I hear the weathers great that time of year..! (Snow could definately be in the forcast..!) Be safe and Train your Ass off "You Fortunate Boasting Braggart!!"
    I for one am green with envy..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

VIP Member
    Tangle....enjoy the training.

When you come back from the training be sure to give us a through report!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed yes - full report (even pics perhaps) - would be most beneficial.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Tangle
    Enjoy!
    If I can get back to work soon it is where I have also decided to go, of course in a lower level class than you though.
    Still shooting every week even though out of work for now, gotta be ready as I can be for when I do go.

No envy here, just admiration for something I consider a good choice.

Tangle: I've always wanted to attend one of their courses, hopefully next year I will be there.

What had gun are you taking ( caliber, make, and model )?

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

A buddie of mine took the 5 day class in NC. He said after 2 days his hands were done. Make sure you tape your hands loading 2500 rounds will trash your hands. Have fun!
    If its not loaded it just a paper weight!

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Have a good time, and let us know how it goes. Im jealous!
    Curry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    Tangle: ...What had gun are you taking ( caliber, make, and model )?...
    I'm gonna take my new Beretta 92FS and a Beretta Vertec as a back-up. Of course, by the time I get there, the 92 will be Tangle-ized.

I'm replacing the stock trigger return spring with a Wolff reduced power trigger spring conversion unit. The stock spring is a torsion spring and I've heard prone to break. The Wolff CU is a compression spring and guide. I'll have to replace the poly trigger with a steel trigger because the Wolff trigger spring converter won't work with the polymer trigger. That's a safe way to reduce the trigger pull a bit.

I'll replace the stock hammer spring with a Wolff reduced power (16#) hammer spring. That spring is just a bit heavier than the popular "D" spring. I like the 16# spring because it will reduce the trigger pull weight from stock, but not quite as much as the "D" spring and I'll get a bit heavierr primer strikes than the "D" spring would give. Although, I've yet to hear of any problems with the "D" spring.

I'll replace the mag release with a slightly extended one, probably with a slightly reduced power spring. And, I'm gonna try reversing the mag release to the right side and see if I can release with a finger instead of my thumb. I've got some "tenderness" developing in my thumb, probably arthritis, and 5 days of 500 rounds per day, would probably pretty much destroy what's left of my thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by scottVA
    A buddie of mine took the 5 day class in NC. He said after 2 days his hands were done. Make sure you tape your hands loading 2500 rounds will trash your hands. Have fun!
    That's good advice! Although, in my level I course we shot 2500 rounds and I don't recall anyone needing to use tape, but it's still good to anticipate. I've got some special tape - 'just-in-case'.

We did so much shooting each day starting from the holster and low ready, that by Wednesday one of the women in our class couldn't lift her arms. She had to rest for about hour or so.

It's fast pace, very varied, challenging drills.

To all, I do appreciate the encouraging remarks. As soon as I made the decision, I thought it'd be great if some of you guys could go. You know, I should be able to take my laptop and digital camera, so if I can get internet access, I can post pics during the week. If not, I'll post when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    WOW! Is this the same outfit that hires security for overseas duty? If you do well enough, any chance they might offer you a job?
    I don't know about now, but they used to have a deal of extensive free training in exchange for a year working for them. I assume you still get paid, but they may be picky about whom they select.

By the way, be ready to walk on a lot of live ammo. When they clear jams, they don't pick up the ejected rounds. At least that's the way it was when I was there over the weekend when we didn't know who the new President was going to be.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Tangle: You have to make sure you get some pictures. Are you boarding at Blackwater?

Senior Moderator
    I am boarding at Blackwater.

I intend to make lots of pics. Hopefully I might even be in one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links