why no humanoid targets ? - Page 3

why no humanoid targets ?

This is a discussion on why no humanoid targets ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All the indoor ranges near me have no problem with Silhouette targets. For training reasons I think you should always use Silhouette's....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why no humanoid targets ?

All the indoor ranges near me have no problem with Silhouette targets. For training reasons I think you should always use Silhouette's.

I'm a member at Silver Eagle Group and I have seen people bring in humaniod targets of Bin Laden, the RSO did not say anything. I also know that for halloween that SEG is selling zombie targets (not quite humanoid, but...)

The prohibition is mainly a PC thing and also they don't want people bringing in pictures of politicians or their ex-wives or the likes and shooting at them.

But also Silver Eagle Group is owned, ironically, by some farily ardent Democrats (Dario & Scott Marquez, you can look up their many political donations at one of the campaign money tracking websites and see what I'm talking about), so I am not surprised if there is a PC bent. I'm not sure why they so strongly support anti-gun candidates unless it is a case of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

SEG was originally designed to be a very elite country club atmosphere where private security firms, Blackwater/Xe type outfits, and very high roller CEO types could go shoot and hang out, and have very intensive training classes in the "scenario warehouse". Other amenities there include a gym, a billiards room, conference rooms, a cafe/deli, locker rooms, and they even would wash your car while you shoot. The highest memberships were literally like $50K. That business model didn't pan out very well, partly due to poor economic timing, and also who wants to go to a country club where you can't drink alcohol :) ). So they really pivoted well and became a general public shooting range with reasonable membership fees (similar to Blue Ridge Arsenal but more expensive than the NRA range).

So Silver Eagle intended to cater to the elite but ended up having to take in the masses, NRA and NASCAR types included.

That said, Silver Eagle is a top notch facility with really helpful RSO's and retail guys. They have a wide array of training too. I can hold my nose about the political part since I know their presence in Virginia does far more to promote gun ownership and rights than their political donations do to subvert it.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Thanks for that info about SEG CZ. I hope they don't go back to that 'elite' model. I haven't seen much of the place besides one of the shooting ranges and the retail area/grill.
    But for $5 more than Blue Ridge, it's worth it to me because not only is it very convenient to my location, it is also so well ventilated you can't even smell gunpowder!!

It does seem like a study in contrast as to why ardent democrats ( who I assume support the anti-gun party line ), would own and operate a gun range.

They seem to be changing their business model still, updating membership priviledges, their crummy website, price structure etc...
    I'll wait and see. Hope it works out to be a good range for the masses. I would love to take some classes there someday in the near future.

btw, CZ, I was there about 1pm or so yesterday. Were you there ?

Floyd

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Down here at Ben Avery (one of the finest outdoor shooting facilities in the South West), I was shooting target of Osama from 200 yards. I was told that during the next cease fire I was to take it down. I spoke my mind, but the old timer that works there has a pretty convincing tone, i.e. he sounded off through the loud speaker. So i obliged.

LcplBuckeye was spot on with what Lt.Col Grossman said. Conditioning > training.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

my club is the same way, they say its a "sportsmens club", only bulls-eyes and animal targets..

use IPSC targets, and staple a paper plate above it..
    Last edited by HotGuns; November 1st, 2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: improper language

Shooting silhouette targets is part of the qualification for the Texas CHL. That surprised me when we went to the range.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    here in mass. we are not allowed to shoot at human shaped targets
    Parts of NYS (Counties where Sheeple that couldn't fit in NYC live) too. Went to a County range in Yonkers, and they had bowling pin shaped targets...only LEO were allowed to shoot at 'people' looking targets...only problem now it that every time I see a bowling pin...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    strange... the ranges I go to have everything from cartoon bad guy to zombies. The CCW course I took had a typical police blue and white silhouette targets.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I shoot often at Range USA here in Memphis, but last Christmas my daughter bought me a gift certificate at another indoor range here in town. When I shot there, they had the life-size photo human targets, one of a white guy with a gun, the other of a black guy holding a gun. How "politically correct" was that???
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    In the Police academy, the ONLY targets we use are human shaped targets, including hostage/hostage takers.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
    btw, CZ, I was there about 1pm or so yesterday. Were you there ?

Floyd

fwellers: I didn't make it this weekend. I'm more often there in the last 30 minutes before closing on weeknights. Balding with a buzz cut and possibly several CZ's.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Like in a hostage situtation. I think I am going to fold one in half and tape it in front. So I can train to hit BG without hitting GG in a SHTF case.
    Even if you are not going to shoot competition (IDPA/USPSA), look at the stages for ideas for training target set ups. Lots of stages with "non-threats" like the classic "el Prez"

Quote Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
    Silver Eagle DOES allow human shaped targets.
    What they DON'T allow is actual human targets. ( No, just kidding ). What they DON'T allow is pictures of real people.
    How about these....lol

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

I'm guessing they wouldn't allow this, then . . .
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    How about these....lol

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    strange... the ranges I go to have everything from cartoon bad guy to zombies. The CCW course I took had a typical police blue and white silhouette targets.
    yep
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links