why no humanoid targets ?

This is a discussion on why no humanoid targets ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm not sure where to post this. If it doesn't belong here, or on this forum I apologize. I'm just wondering, why would a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: why no humanoid targets ?

why no humanoid targets ?

Hello,
    I'm not sure where to post this. If it doesn't belong here, or on this forum I apologize.
    I'm just wondering, why would a gun club/range not allow human shaped targets ?

We have a real nice relatively new gun club here in Ashburn Va called Silver Eagle. They seem pretty laid back about most things, and a good place to go shoot relatively cheap.

But I found out today by accident that they don't allow human shaped targets. It makes no sense to me. They offer all types of self defense classes, scenario training etc.. The point of all of that is to be able to successfully defend yourself against a human ( in most cases ) target.

So what is the deal with not allowing human targets for practice ?
    I really don't care for myself. My shooting is not to the point to care about much except being able to hit a 6" plate at 7 yards. :-)
    But it seems like a sellout to the PC gun hater crowd. Am I missing some ethical issue here ?

Thanks.
    floyd

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    My local range/fun shop has about 7 different varieties of silhouette targets, and I have been known on occasion to tape a picture of a face over the head. More realistic that way
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I did use to go to a range where you had to be 18 to shoot at silhouette targets. If you proscribe to what LtCol. Grossman says in on killing, shooting at human shaped targets helps condition to the mind to overcome the mental block to shooting people.

Mostly it sounds like appeasement or maybe the range trying to look more "family friendly" or some such thing. The majority of my shooting is done on human shaped targets.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I would have to ask your gun club/range to be more specific in their definition of 'human shaped targets'. I have plenty of silhouette targets, and one of the local indoor ranges has plenty for their IDPA matches which is where I buy them. These targets are rectangular and have four sides....not "human shaped" in the least. Sounds like a pathetic attempt at being politically correct for some reason. Maybe next week they won't allow anything over 22LR? Personally, I think that your gun club/ range has an identity crisis, and you can tell them I said so.

Funny that you posted the question. I was thinking why doesn't somebody make a silhouette target that has a silhouette of person(GG) and half a silhouette target sticking out from behind (BG). Like in a hostage situtation. I think I am going to fold one in half and tape it in front. So I can train to hit BG without hitting GG in a SHTF case.

To RG: That picture would not be an Ex would it?

Targets shaped like people scare the .
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Personally, I think that your gun club/ range has an identity crisis, and you can tell them I said so.
    Exactly what I was thinking, but you put it into better words. :-)

I'll ask them about it this weekend when I go down there.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Funny that you posted the question. I was thinking why doesn't somebody make a silhouette target that has a silhouette of person(GG) and half a silhouette target sticking out from behind (BG). Like in a hostage situtation. I think I am going to fold one in half and tape it in front. So I can train to hit BG without hitting GG in a SHTF case.
    They make them. You just need to know where to find them. I used to have some.
    Target Pasters & Silhouette Targets

Well, I don't know exactly WHY, unless it's not "Politically Correct", but in NRA courses it is a BIG NONO! They are probably following NRA's lead.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

lol, No but well known folks,male & female, often in the news
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Well, I don't know exactly WHY, unless it's not "Politically Correct", but in NRA courses it is a BIG NONO! They are probably following NRA's lead.
    The NRA ?
    I guess, they are such a political org that they must make compromises. But one that is so schizophrenic ? I'm surprised. I guess I have more catching up and learning to do than I thought. :-)

Here's a link for just about every target you can imagine plus all kinds of range equipment. Be sure to check out their new full color 3-D paper targets under the "paper targets" section. Used with 3D glasses, which they sell too, you get a pretty lifelike target.

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.

Another good supplier of targets and range equipment I've ordered from several times before

Speedwell Targets.

Here are a couple more I found. Remember, Google is a decent search engine.

Action Target

American Target Company

The Target Shop
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks Bark.
    For now, I am just gonna go to wally world or something and get a stack of paper plates to shoot on. More sustainable on my wallet. :-))

Man, 3d targets with 3d glasses ? That's pretty cool. I may have to treat myself to that someday.

Oh, I shoot a lot of paper plates! Nothing wrong with that!

But you can get quantities of 25 or 50 decent silhouette targets pretty reasonable if you buy in from a target company as opposed to getting them from your local gun store or gun range.

Don't need to get the fancy photography type of either. Standard B-27's are not too expensive. If you shoot say 80% of the time with paper plates or similar and save the silhouette's for 20% or less of your shooting time, it won't be very expensive, and you'll get some idea of shooting humanoid shaped targets.

Also don't hesitate to have your shooting partners help absorb the cost of targets.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

at the club i go to they have a devise that holds two targets. one for hostage one for the bad guy. it rocks back and forth to make it harder.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links