Kubaton

Kubaton

This is a discussion on Kubaton within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if any one carries a kubaton. This is one small defense weapon everyone should carry. I was a certified instructor in the use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kubaton

Kubaton

Just wondering if any one carries a kubaton. This is one small defense weapon everyone should carry. I was a certified instructor in the use of PR-24 and Kubaton and many many times in making a arrest I used the Kubaton and could make the biggest man go to his knees and scream for me to stop. My wife no longer carries mace she was taught how to use the Kubaton and I bet good money at this time she could handle herself with no problem.
    Last edited by grifft; October 30th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Learned a trick recently while attending a CQB course a few weeks ago. Carry a 6 inch piece of 3/8 dowell rod, it looks very inconspicuous. If asked will tell them I have arthritis and use it for joint pain relief.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

I carry one sometimes. I carry several things that can be used in the same role all the time.

Many people carry one without any training or the slightest idea how to use it. Maybe it's supposed to be some magic wand?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Does a kubaton really offer practical benefit to a civilian? If I'm trying to get away from physical confrontations (as opposed to arresting perps), what scenarios make a kubaton useful for me?
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

I've heard great things about the Kubaton and would love to add one to my repertoire, but I've had a heck of a time finding somewhere to get training with one.

EDIT: Of course, as soon as I post this I go look at the web site for my favorite gun shop (which I haven't visited in a while) and they're now offering Kubaton classes. WooHoo!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Does a kubaton really offer practical benefit to a civilian? If I'm trying to get away from physical confrontations (as opposed to arresting perps), what scenarios make a kubaton useful for me?
    The control maneuvers, pressure point manipulation, and pain compliance techniques may not be of much use to citizens, but a Kubotan (or any object that's around six inches long and can be gripped appropriately), is a great force concentrator. A poke in the throat (or hand, face, and a lot of other places) with a Sharpie or small flashlight hurts. An alternative to hitting people with your bare hands is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Many people carry one without any training or the slightest idea how to use it. Maybe it's supposed to be some magic wand?
    Using one as a striking tool really doesn't require any training.

I used to carry one, or an ASP mini keychain baton, or a De-Jammer as a keychain. I had some training and actually used one on a drunk who tried to grab my shirt once. It was handy enough to be carried so that when I needed it I had it. For anyone without training it's a false sense of security. I see Kubotans or similar things with spikes on them, or stuff thats a cross between a bottle opener and brass knuckles on keychains all the time and I doubt most actually know how to use them. For the average person, I think the space would better be taken up by a mini Mag Light or pepper spray.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Absolutely. Here is a pic of Mas teaching the Kubotan at LFI III in September of 09.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Sure it is a practical benefit to a civilian if used properly and sometimes you can not get away from physical confrontations. It is only good for close quarters defense.(Not trying to sell them) I was carrying about four weeks ago and I went into a fast mart to get a drink and when I went out to get in my truck and out of no where a guy was standing in front of me and asked for some money. Told him that I did not work all my life to give it away. Get a job and he then grabbed me by my shirt. I had the kubaton in my hand first hit him in his sternum then when he let go and leaned over a little I stuck as hard as I could on the collar bone. He ran like you know what. Perfect example in a bad situation

I carry a 120 lumen LED flashlight which is just a little short and slightly fatter than a regulation Kubaton which does double duty as one.

I've learned to manipulate almost as well as the genuine article. So I figure I get about 90% effectiveness using the flashlight and one less item to carry.

I've got the Kubaton training manual as well as John Peter's excellent book Defensive Tactics With Flashlights
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by grifft View Post
    Sure it is a practical benefit to a civilian if used properly and sometimes you can not get away from physical confrontations. It is only good for close quarters defense.(Not trying to sell them) I was carrying about four weeks ago and I went into a fast mart to get a drink and when I went out to get in my truck and out of no where a guy was standing in front of me and asked for some money. Told him that I did not work all my life to give it away. Get a job and he then grabbed me by my shirt. I had the kubaton in my hand first hit him in his sternum then when he let go and leaned over a little I stuck as hard as I could on the collar bone. He ran like you know what. Perfect example in a bad situation
    Ok, you've convinced me that I want to at least get familiar with the kubaton and see what I can do with it. Thanks.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

My confrontation:
    I was carrying a De-Jammer as a Kubotan-style weapon tucked in my belt with my keys. I had a 1911 IWB and a BUG, a NAA .22mag. I was carrying a Spyderco in a pocket. I was on a payphone when a babbling drunk came up and started trying to talk to me. I waved him away and he reached out to grab my shirt. I put him into an armlock, turned him around and shoved him away from me. He stumbled the walked away babbling to himself. The guns and knife would have been too much for the situation. I had a hand tied up with the payphone at the time and was a little slow to disengage from it.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Absolutely. Here is a pic of Mas teaching the Kubotan at LFI III in September of 09.

OMG, I think I met the dude wearing the quilt at an Open Carry dinner!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Quilt???
    The young man in the Kilt is a Oregon LEO. There is a huge population of Scots there and he was getting ready for the Scottish Games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links