Lessons learned in the middle of the night

This is a discussion on Lessons learned in the middle of the night within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night, actually 3:26 AM this morning, I was slammed out of bed by our home alarm system. I didn't turn off the alarm, rather ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned in the middle of the night

Last night, actually 3:26 AM this morning, I was slammed out of bed by our home alarm system. I didn't turn off the alarm, rather I left it blaring while I cleared the house and checked on the kids and the closets, etc.

It took me WAY too long to get in the handgun safe, 5 or 6 tries. I went "cheap" on the bedside safe and got one from Academy with 4 buttons on it. I could not hear if I was not pressing the buttons or not because I left the alarm ringing.

Lesson 1: Don't go cheap on the bedside safe, get one you can open without looking and without thinking, but is safe enough for the kids to stay out.

After I realized the house was fine and that my alarm tripped due to a phone problem, lines were down due to a problem with Time Warner Cable, and I rechecked all the windows, doors, etc and counted kids' heads in bed I was so jacked up with adrenaline I could not go back to sleep for an hour and a half or so.

Lesson 2: Just get up and fold some laundry, it's better than just laying in bed questioning every little sound you hear from that point on.

All the kids, except the one that was in bed with me and the Wife were still in their beds like they have been instructed to do if the alarm goes off.

Lesson 3: Have a plan, communicate the plan to everyone, follow the plan. This would have been vital IF someone was actually in my house as I would not have to worry about where the kids were when I engage the BG.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Good deal Paco. Glad it was just electrical gremlins, and that the safe failure became evident during an "unplanned drill".

Makes me glad It's just two adults in my house too, so my gun is close at hand without worry.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

So when the alarm went off, you didn't do like in the commercials and run to the phone to talk to some desk jockey at the alarm company?

Help! I'm being r...<click>
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Arko, I did find out some good info about my new alarm system. If the phone lines are ever cut it will go off. I also learned that I need to invest in a cellular back up to my alarm system so the monitoring company will get the alert in the event of a line failure.

Chenemf, LOL. No running to the phone for me. I spun out of bed to kneel beside the bed and grabbed my flashlight form the night stand and then started on to the safe. I'll be buying a new safe very very soon.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

pax
    All the kids, except the one that was in bed with me and the Wife were still in their beds like they have been instructed to do if the alarm goes off.
    Does your fire alarm sound noticeably different from your house alarm? And if so, do you deliberately set both of them off often enough that your children recognize the difference?

(Not a criticism -- just a question that suddenly occurred to me when I read your post. Something I hadn't thought of before!)

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Does your fire alarm sound noticeably different from your house alarm? And if so, do you deliberately set both of them off often enough that your children recognize the difference?

(Not a criticism -- just a question that suddenly occurred to me when I read your post. Something I hadn't thought of before!)

pax
    Yes, the fire alarm is a much more piercing noise and all but the 3 month old knows the difference. The same for the carbon monoxide alarms.

They also know to leave the room if they hear their windows opening. We have a few plans for different situations, like collecting the kids on the one side of the house and going out the windows to a specified neighbor's house as a rallying point.

If I ever build a house, I am seriously considering each bed room having the closet built as a mini safe room and my master closet being the main safe room.

-Paco

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Paco,

Glad everything was okay and it seems like it was a good trainning exercise for you.
    [One Nation Under God]

pax
    Paco,

Good job! :)

If I ever build a house, I am seriously considering each bed room having the closet built as a mini safe room and my master closet being the main safe room.
    That's a great idea, if you can make the floorplan work on a practical level.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Since this alarm was triggered because of some sort of phone cable problem, if I'm reading correctly in my sleep deprived state, do you have some sort of handheld portable communication device to go with the gun, as well as an illumination device.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Yes, the fire alarm is a much more piercing noise and all but the 3 month old knows the difference. The same for the carbon monoxide alarms.

They also know to leave the room if they hear their windows opening. We have a few plans for different situations, like collecting the kids on the one side of the house and going out the windows to a specified neighbor's house as a rallying point.

Nicely done! This is a good reminder to all to make sure that everyone in the house knows exactly what they should be doing depending on different types of alarms.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Since this alarm was triggered because of some sort of phone cable problem, if I'm reading correctly in my sleep deprived state, do you have some sort of handheld portable communication device to go with the gun, as well as an illumination device.

Biker
    Yes, I keep my S&W flashlight in the top drawer and my 2 cell phones (work and Personal) on the nightstand. My Wife has a flashlight and her cell phone on her nightstand as well.

I have also gotten a quote for a GSM backup device for my alarm, so the signal actually makes it to the dispatch if it happens again.

Now all I need is good advice on a 1 gun safe that all I have to do is touch to open, like a biometric or something.

-Paco

Now all I need is good advice on a 1 gun safe that all I have to do is touch to open, like a biometric or something.
    Sorry, can't help you there.

My safe is bolted to the floor and accomodates more guns than one. One of my Home Defense guns is between the matress and the box spring, if I'm not wearing it. Another is on the floor, under the bed. The third stays in the pocket of the pants I was wearing that night, located on the chair in the bedroom.

Biker

Paco, wouldn't waste your money on the biometric. Most biometric's that the average guy can afford (less than 3000) if your hand is a little bit wet or a little dirty they will not work. With the new ICF walls and such safe rooms are easy to build now and you could even with a good architect connect the safe rooms together.

is your alarm running through the cable company's phone line? through a cable modem? if so, do you have a backup method of calling out? What I am trying to say is this "If your cable is cut, you have no phone, which means the alarm will not call out" even though you may have a breach and the alarm is sounding there is nobody responding. I have mine setup on GSM which uses cell service so even if power is off and phone lines are cut it will still call out

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Very good advice. Thank you for the wake-up call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links