How many pistols do you regularly practice with? - Page 2

How many pistols do you regularly practice with?

This is a discussion on How many pistols do you regularly practice with? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My glock-36 and a couple of Kimbers....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My glock-36 and a couple of Kimbers.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    HK USPc .40, Springfield EMP .9mm, Smith 642, Sig X-5 .9mm
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Two (centerfire) for me, my CZ-75 and CZ RAMI, both 9mm's. I also have several .22's that I plink with, but you weren't asking about that.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2 to 3 at a time

each week I bring 2 to 3 different handguns , either my 2 buckmarks, 2 PA 63's, cz 82, firestorm 380, sig p230, LCP, SR9, glock 27, or my S&W MP 45. Once a month I bring with AR 15 and the Mossberg 590.

One, almost every time I shoot. Three or four, frequently.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    For pistols, usually 3, one of my 1911's, one of my 9mms, and a j-frame, since the rest of my pistols are more for fun, and would only be used in defense in odd circumstances, but they get shot occasionally too.
    I've got a question about defense (and I've been out since 1971 so I'm sure things are a lot different). How do you carry for defense? If you live on base is it a hassle to coordinate with the armory to retrieve your guns? I guess if you live on base you just need to worry about state law. Of course, you might not want to answer

Nowdays I am only dry fire practicing the Glock 23. For range activity I may take the P220 or the P232 along. These 2 are the only other pistols readily accessible since I got the G23. I keep the P220 close by should I need to bug out and I often times carry the P232 around the house.

Since I drank the Kool-Aid I have been pretty faithful to my Glock but I do cheat with a Sig on occasion

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    I just wondered how many different centerfire pistols people regularly practice with. I've had a G17 for years and recently bought a G26. My G26 is my carry gun and the G17 is on home defense duty. These are the two that I always take with me. Often I'll bring a third pistol, but usually never the same one twice in a row.
    I have the same two Glocks and also bring along my Kel-Tec P3AT 380.

That's it unless I want to go to the 22 range, then I bring along a Ruger 10-22 for pinking

Four revolvers as a rule.

I don't own any guns that just take up space... If they were brought home that means I will shoot them and be comfortably proficient in them.
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

Hmmm, My M642 snub but never with aimed fire. Point only. Lock my elbows into my sides and empty it rapid fire COM at a range of about 10 feet. That gun is mugger deterrence only. I can blow the center out of a target now in about 1.5 seconds for 5 rounds.

My H&K P30 and my Sig P245 are both carry and IDPA pieces so I practice with them more tactically. Frequently I'll just practice tactical reloads with empty mags for speed and smoothness. The H&K's mag eject lever at the bottom rear of the trigger guard expedites this tremendously.

When I pick up my new XD45 compact I'll familiarize myself with it to the extent that I can field strip it in total darkness and put it back together the same way. I'll learn the controls to load/reload and clear stoppages the same way. I'll do it enough to move it all into "muscle memory" as I have with the others. Then I'll take that to some IDPA matches to see where it prints on targets at most combat ranges and positions of fire with a variety of loads that I'll document so I know where my carry load will tend to impact.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    All of them. I don't favor one of my children over another, they all get equal time, in rotation.
    Hmm, it's Lucille's turn tomorrow
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Usually 3-4 guns go for each range trip... My Ultra Carry, either my G19 or 26, the XD45, then I'll rotate the CW9, S&W 27-2 or 642... The long guns usually get trips to themselves, so it's either handguns or long guns...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Usually 2 to 3 unless I'm really focusing on something with 1 firearm.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

My current carry gun always. Then I add at least 2 others just for the fun of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links