Defensive Mindset training?

This is a discussion on Defensive Mindset training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know/have good any articles on how to train/teach the defensive mindset? I am writing a manual for my sister who is running a ...

Thread: Defensive Mindset training?

Does anyone know/have good any articles on how to train/teach the defensive mindset?

I am writing a manual for my sister who is running a store by herself (another thread) and I wanted to start it off with some good reading that will open her mind to defense. I think I'll follow that up with some of the Jeff Coopers situational awareness color codes. But first and foremost I need to just get her open to the idea of defense.

Thanks

Assistant Administrator
    Let me suggest you browse thru this thread I had running not so very long ago - could be some ''pickings'' of use to you.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=8641
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Something I suggest is having her walk through her own scenarios in her head:
    What would I do if that guy did this?
    What would I do if that girl did that?
    What would I do if.... blah blah - you get the idea.

Another thing you could do is sit with her and people-watch for a while. Point out how certain people live in "white" and see if she can pick out the people that seem alert. See if she can pick out the other people who are on alert.

All the reading in the world is only going to help her so much!

Let me ask - is she interested in learning and do you have physical access to her?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickpocket
    Let me ask - is she interested in learning and do you have physical access to her?
    Interested? Not really at this point. I hope to peak some interest. I'm doing a lot of this in writing and I have a hard time not getting annoyed with the defenseless mindset, which she picks up on and just puts up a wall when we get to talking. She lives close by yes.

The reason I ask is because unless she has shown some interest you have quite a difficult task ahead of you.

A person who lives their life in constant "white" understands neither why you need to remain alert nor that it doesn't always "happen to someone else".

My suggestion is to give her something to chew on and then walk away - let her digest it for herself. Pusing it on her may do more damage than good in the short term. If you blow it coming out of the gate you're going to have an awful hard time catching up, y'know?

Ask her to think about how "SA" may have helped a victim whenever she's reading the newspaper or watching the news. See what she comes up with all by herself.

If you put all this effort into a dissertation for a subject she's not even interested in and clueless as to how it affects her - she's not going to even read it.

Just my over-bloated .02 :)

Join up... US Military will do it for free. You just have to agree to a 2 to four year enlistment depending on Branch. Thats where I got mine. Then your wife, friends and family will call you over protective or crazy....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Gavin DeBecker's The Gift of Fear. He has (IIRC) two other books in the set, as well. Very readable; he does love acronyms, but it is written anecdotally and talks about intuitive senses, which is something most women will identify well with. He DOES NOT address how to deal with what your intuition picks up on, but (hopefully) a thinking person will recognize that, and ask, "Ok, I know how to ID a BG, now who do I need to talk to to learn how to deal with the BG?"

Paxton Quigley has some good, all 'round, defensive concepts for women books.
    http://www.paxtonquigley.com/

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    my gf says im paronoid because i watch every one and stear her away from any one i think is shifty looking while we are out. like entering the house first after we have been out she dosnt get it have tryed getting her to play identifacation games while we are out eating but she lacks interest looks like its up to me lol

Principles of Personal Defense

Reading Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defence did change my life.

Short, sweet and to the point.

Links