Grip - Page 2

Grip

This is a discussion on Grip within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless you are SWAT, what applies to them doesn't apply to a ccw carrier. Just because you own a chevy impala doesn't mean you drive ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grip

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Unless you are SWAT, what applies to them doesn't apply to a ccw carrier.

Just because you own a chevy impala doesn't mean you drive like Jimmie Johnson.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post

Tactically speaking, sure, I don't plan on stacking up with the wife and kid before entering the Dairy Queen, but when it comes to the best possible use of a pistol, I think it most definitely applies, the basic fundamentals are the same from the draw, to presentation, to firing regardless of...vocation. If you're fine with just going out there and doing your own thing, that's cool. I'm not saying that everyone needs to change how they do things. But if there's a way to improve my shooting, or to try and help others to improve theirs, I'm going to voice my opinion and try and help them.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I do agree, what works for one doesn't always work for the other.

I think this all goes back to the fact that when my daughter started grade school they made her convert from being left handed. Poor kid thought she was a freak.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post

I see what you are saying, and to some degree, it does apply to CCW'ers (And I'm not on a SWAT team, FWIW). The fundamentals of shooting don't really change much no matter what kind of shooting you are doing. However, I would equate shooting in defense of your life a lot more with what SWAT guys train for/do, than what a competition bullseye shooter trains for/does.

Now, going with your statement about chevy impalas and Jimmie Johnson. If you were at the local auto part store and Jimmie came in an offered to help you work on your engine, or that he was going to take a short drive with you to offer pointers on how to improve your driving, would you listen to him or take his help (I know I sure as heck would).

I don't think anyone on here has ever claimed to know everything these is to know about SD, but we have a pretty good think-tank going here, made up of people from all walks of life, with various amounts of firearms training/experience/use. We have people on here whose job it is to use firearms to provide security for other people. They rely on their weapons to make it back to their family at the end of the day, while dealing with self defense situations on a regular basis. And we also have people who just bought their first firearm and are here to try to learn more (something we should all do on a daily basis). And everything in between.

I'll step off my soap-box now, hopefully that made some sense. YMMV.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Most beginners are taught to use the cross thumb grip.I was in the military and used it for years! but there are more proficient grips! the choice is personal.It might not feel right at first to you,and until your comfortable with it,you might not even see an improvement at first,but as you work on it you sure will. I now grip with my thumbs forward which was hard to do at first,but it has improved my accuracy,try it,you'll see

If I use a grip that works for me, shouldn't that be the grip I should use? Do you have to use a grip that (insert famous gun guru's name)reccomend ?
    See JD's answer in bold.
    It's not about gun guru's getting their name out there, IMO. It's about finding what works and benefits the most people.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    While a poor grip may work, a better grip is just better. People don't often know what they don't know. If you don't know your grip is poor and no one tells you, you'll never know.
    We don't know what we don't know. After trying a better grip, the person may decide to stick with their original grip, but at least they have the opportunity to evaluate something that may work better for them.

Like my Daddy used to say, "Try your way, my way and any other way and then make your decision. If you don't try them all, you won't know. Then decide what works for you and use that."

Biker

Funny the way older WISER folks work that way.

It's more about physics and geometry and not as much about comfort...particularly leverage. The way it was shown to me after a short explanation by an instructor was the icing on the cake.

He had me try every method of grip and stance I could think of on my own, one at a time and each on a different target. Then he had me use the thumbs straight/wrists forward grip.

As surprised as I was, I couldn't deny that his grip and technique was much better. I shot more accurately, more reliably, and even in rapid fire/mag emptying runs and at longer distances.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

JD--I couln't help but notice that your instruction turned Lima's hair from Blond to Brunette. Was that part of the training plan? <g>

The God's honest truth to this Marine is that grip and stance are irrelevent in slow fire. So long as the sights are aligned and on target and you don't move them while the shot breaks, Hell, stand on one leg and shoot with your pinky extended. You'll hit what you're aiming at if the first part is true.

Grip matters in rapid fire. Based on the hits on the target and their timing, a good instructor can diagnose your grip right down to "ease up on your right pinky".

Some techniques work and others don't. You have to play with it and you have to continually mod it up. Thus Mr. Enos said "You can never learn to shoot, you can only learn about shooting". Your technique will evolve continually and your performance will continue to improve as long as your technique evolves. When you're green you grow and when you're ripe you rot--it's that simple.

Stance? Still irrelevent to a shooter who has the basic mechanics down to subconscious performance. When you're at that level, with the mechanics "just happening"--the gun runs itself--it doesn't matter where your feet are or if you're leaned into the gun in some quasi martial arts pose. Your body does what it needs to do to harness and use recoil automatically.

Dems my thoughts,
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links