Defensive Carry banner

Tom Perroni's thoughts on how to get the most out of Tactical Carbine Training.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Blackeagle 
#1 ·
My thoughts on how to get the most out of Tactical Carbine Training.

Tactical Carbine training is on the rise and there are a plethora of Instructors teaching on the subject and they all have different prerequisites for their courses. As an Instructor who has been training for several years, I have compiled a list of things that may help!

1. If you are attending a TACTICAL course make sure you have a good understanding of how your carbine works before you come to class.

2. Don’t make modifications to the gun the day before the course. This is a recipe for trouble.

3. If you are able, make sure your gun has a good BZO before the class. This process speeds up training time.

4. If you are going to wear “KIT” to the class i.e.: plates, soft armorer, chest rig, thigh rig, test it before class. Can I reach my mags to reload properly, is my med kit “BLOW-OUT KIT” in the way of my pistol, or in such a position that I can’t function. Fix this before class, put it on do some transition drills, do some mag changes, make sure you can bend over, if I have to bend at the waist to get my handgun out of my drop leg holster it is to low on my leg.

5. Most courses have MODERATE physical activity if you can’t do 20 jumping jacks and 10 push ups and sprint 25 yards should you take a tactical course?

6. MOST Carbine courses do some type of transition drills from carbine to pistol. If you have 0 handgun training don’t go to a TACTICAL Carbine course, without first taking a basic pistol course that will teach you to safely draw and shoot your handgun.

7. Which ever sling YOU choose make sure you know how to use it. Do some transition drills before class. Can you safely transition from carbine to pistol without getting caught up in your sling?

8. Electronic ear pro is a must so that you can shoot, move and Communicate effectively.

9. Load your mags before class, so that we don’t waste time gearing up. Please, Please, Please, top off your 30 round mags with only 28 rounds.

10. Make sure you have spare lube, spare parts or a spare gun, to keep your weapon system up and running, as well as spare gear ie, extra batteries for EO-TECH and flash light, spare mags, extra eyes and ears, snacks, water and anything else you may need. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

11. Bring a cleaning kit and a rigid rod to clear your bore of obstructions or stuck casings.

12. Keep your carbine well lubed in class it can be dirty as hell but will still run if it is wet. I use Militec but I understand that Vagisil works well……….

13. Make sure you have good quality magazines. We use MAGPUL, if you want to use a USGI mag, make sure it has a non tilt follower.

Please feel free to add to this! I post this not to criticize but to help students get the most from their training.

Tom
www.ccjatraining.com

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks again tom. I took Mas's LFI III which is a carbine, shotgun, very advanced pistol course and I learned to do all the things you advise folks to do. I'm also a retired 19D with mucho experience with automatic weapons. I thought i knew everything but Mas comes up with much. I'd love to get to one of your courses.

#3 ·
You won't do any better than taking a class with Tom. He and his crew are some of the best in the business. Supposed to go take a tac shotgun course this coming Sunday but I tore a rotator cuff a couple of weeks ago so it depends on how I feel if I make the trip or not.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Be Safe,

NosaM

#6 ·
"9. Load your mags before class, so that we don’t waste time gearing up. Please, Please, Please, top off your 30 round mags with only 28 rounds."

Why is this, or did you mean please dont top them off with only 28?

#8 ·
ZX9RCAM,

We teach to load your 30 round USGI Magazine to 28 rounds so that if you do a Tactical magazine change with the "Bolt Forward' that the Magazine will seat. Downloading by (2) gives the Magazine spring some movement and allows it to seat in the carbine on a closed bolt.

Try this: Load your carbine by inserting the magazine and putting a round in the chamber. Then remove the magazine and with the bolt forward on the carbine "TRY" to insert a 30 round magazine and let me know what happens. :image035:

It is difficult at best and almost impossible to get a 30 round magazine loaded with 30 rounds to seat after doing a tactical magazine change with the bolt forward.

Speed is economy of motion.

Remember what I teach is “A” way to do things not “THE” way!

Tom

#10 ·
12. Keep your carbine well lubed in class it can be dirty as hell but will still run if it is wet. I use Militec but I understand that Vagisil works well……….

'tis true. Vagisil works. I had a carbine run dry during a class, next thing I know the instructor was right there with "the tube" Didn't seem to be any worse for wear, cleaning wasn't any more of a PITA than usual...but I DID remember to bring a can of remoil the next day

#11 ·
8. Electronic ear pro is a must so that you can shoot, move and Communicate effectively.
Make sure to test your ear protection with your rifle. Depending on how fat the muffs are and the sight and stock setup on your gun, you can end up knocking the muffs loose during recoil.

14. Make sure your rifle is suitable for the class you are taking. This depends on the class, of course. A rifle suitable for a DMR type course is going to be very different for one for a CQB course. However, most "tactical" rifle classes emphasize CQB to mid distance shooting. For those sorts of classes, I've seen three problems in particular:

14a. Rifle too heavy or unwieldy: Long barrels, heavy barrels, or just too much crap on the rails. You'll be spending a pretty good chunk of the class holding this rifle up and pointing it at a target. By the end of class you will probably hate every excess ounce.

14b. Unsuitable optics, primarily magnified scopes. Most tactical carbine classes will be shooting at targets close enough that magnification will be more of a hindrance than a help.

14c. Match triggers. I've seen them break and take a student's gun out of action for a day. I've also seen them contribute to an ND that took a divot out of the concrete uncomfortably close to a student's foot.

These are just the ones I've seen, there are many other variations on the theme.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.