Be Honest

This is a discussion on Be Honest within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to say that the detective that finger printed me for my CCP said he hated guns and wished that they could ban them ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be Honest

I have to say that the detective that finger printed me for my CCP said he hated guns and wished that they could ban them all. He said he never carries off duty either. I was astounded by this. I really didn't know what to think when I was going through the process but I thought that maybe some how cops would think that I was on their side by carrying. I am finding out more and more that this is not true and they don't like people with guns because they are a threat to their well being. I can understand that but I like to think of myself as being the good guy that would back up a cop if needed. I don't think they see people that ccw that way. Just threats IMO
    Proud Member of the NRA

2. Remove Ads

I shoot a couple of times a month..I have LEO friends that only shoot twice a year. Im a little puzzled. I work in the computer field and still come home and jump on my PC. Why would an officer not train and keep there skills up?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I have literally cut pistols out of duty holsters for officers who spilled untold numbers of cups of coffee and sodas on them.
    I've actually noted a few firearms on LEOs out on a foot patrol that meet that description.

Most of the LEOs I've talked with who even went to the range outside of required quals went to practice for deer or elk.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

I spend several years as a Field LEO in the early 70's and I shot every two weeks, ( my ammo).

We had to Qual only once a year.

Background: before becoming a LEO I spend time in the USMC Infantry --1961-1971 (SSGT, Med Ret) and a couple of combat tours is SVN.

I think this give me a different kind of mind set on become and remaining proficient with the weapons of my profession.

Quite a bit different then those on my deptment that had not had the experience.

From 1978-1992 I work as a investigator for a local municipality then from 1992-2006 I was a state Compliance/Criminal Invstigator for the State of Nevada and I tried to shoot 50 rounds (my own ammo) a week at one of the local indoor ranges.

IN 1988 When I got involved in SASS (LM#316) I started shooting about 40,000-50,000 rds a year for practice.

Over the years this had slow down considerably and now currently I am only shooting around 300 Rds a month.

The shooting skill with a handgun can deteriorate rather quickly, more quicly for some people then others. Your mind will tell you, you can, but your muscle memory will/can show you--- you can't.

Until your start practicing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    The shooting skill with a handgun can deteriorate rather quickly, more quicly for some people then others. Your mind will tell you, you can, but your muscle memory will/can show you--- you can't.

Until your start practicing again.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I shoot a couple of times a month..I have LEO friends that only shoot twice a year. Im a little puzzled. I work in the computer field and still come home and jump on my PC. Why would an officer not train and keep there skills up?
    I see an open opportunity here, but I'm going to refrain and be the better person I should be. I'm almost sure you'll remain to be puzzled over this one. That's good right? Cause you sound like a problem solver.

I'm not LEO and during the Apr - Nov season I shoot about 45-50 rds every Wednesday in a friendly competition at our range at work. We have several advanced shooter that act as instructors and constantly critique our methods. It's draw and shoot, tactical reload, multiple bad guy / hostages, tactical shotgun, etc. A retired local SWAT guy often makes up scenarios for us to try. Then every other Friday I shoot on my own year around about 100 rds.

Are you kidding??

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I know very few cops who shoot. And of the ones who do practice, very few of them can shoot. I have literally cut pistols out of duty holsters for officers who spilled untold numbers of cups of coffee and sodas on them. I had one 16yr veteran come into my range and I had to load his magaziness because he didn't know how. He had been carrying that same pistol for 16yrs. It goes on and on.
    I almost wish that I never posted my original question. I truly respect all LEO for their sacrifice and service to the community but I am shocked by a majority the responses. I am also glad that I am able to provide immediate protection for myself and my family.
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    The thing to do is to encourage your police buddies so that they practice enough to be able to come home each day.

I shoot weekly with a group of guys. Most are CCW, a couple are LE. My friends in LE tell me there are a few who are dedicated to practice...most are more like social workers with guns.

Money is tight now, so Ive had to unfortunatly cut my range time back to once a month, 50-100 rnds from my one time norm of 200-400 rnds 2-4 times a month. I have seen a couple LEOs from around hear at the range, the SRT and "marksmen" are GREAT shots, 1 in 6 can actually HIT the target at 20 feet within the first 5 rounds..... Not going to say any more, though the state police in the area seriously are good shots.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

If I worked at Dunkin Donuts, the last thing I would want to see when I got off from work would be more donuts....just imagine how the Gynecologists feel???
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

BigDude.....DUDE....That comment is sooooooooo wrong..... TRUE...But WRONG....Lmao
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

And here I sit. I want to go shooting, but hate "stand in lane" shooting. Some of the job sites I work at are remote and I start chomping at the bit when I here shooting in the distance.

My only practice time is the IDPA matches once a month, and winter means lots of cancellations.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Shooting is an activity, and just like any activity it requires regular practice and a drive to do well in that activity to perform well. LEO's are people just like the rest of us. If they don't practice the skill then they not have the skill. Not trying to catagorize any one group of people by saying "cops can't shoot" because that is defintly not true. Some of the big name shooters are either active LE or former LE, Phil Strader comes to mind. Unfortunatly, some officers I see shooting at the range, think they know it all already, and there is nothing that a non LE can teach them, because everything they do they learned in the academy.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links