Dry firing today, Mirror technique

This is a discussion on Dry firing today, Mirror technique within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today 15 minutes of mirror, 9 squeezes of Weaver, 9 of Chapman, 9 of Iso, 18 kneeling Iso. Quit. Concentrated on hold, and smooth trigger ...

Thread: Dry firing today, Mirror technique

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Dry firing today, Mirror technique

Today 15 minutes of mirror, 9 squeezes of Weaver, 9 of Chapman, 9 of Iso, 18 kneeling Iso. Quit. Concentrated on hold, and smooth trigger pull.

2. Remove Ads

Must be something in the air. I did the same except i dont use the weaver stance. I prefer more of a iso and chapman stance. That was some good quality training

I include Weaver for this reason. If you are moving and have to shoot at a 180 you must use either a Weaver, or one handed. Mas demonstrates that in his 40 hour course and it works. That said, my druther is the Chapman.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I include Weaver for this reason. If you are moving and have to shoot at a 180 you must use either a Weaver, or one handed. Mas demonstrates that in his 40 hour course and it works. That said, my druther is the Chapman.
    Well I'll be ...Great point TY

When I practice with the mirror, my stance and hold doesn't even come into account. I use the mirror for my draws. In my opinion, scrutinizing one's stance could be good, but just like perfect sight alignment in a real life or death shooting scenario........it probably won't happen, and thus some may end up spending way to much time on what's termed as proper and acceptable to follow in the rather strict schools of thinking. Not to say it would be a waste of time mind you, just that there might be time better spent. Proper stance is better off utilized at the range and shooting distant targets....or better off to decide the best of breed at the dog show. No intent to belittle the practice in any way, but I'd rather go with the flow, drawing and hitting my target on the go, without some hardwired path through my brain, and alignment of my body structure in order to effectively neutralize my target. I'll only have one thing in mind, and that's not how I will look when I'm pulling the trigger to save my life. After all.....I'm not up for a first round draft pick in the NFL, and I don't imagine any recruiters will be watching me or grading me on attitude and performance. Maybe I'm just a rebel.

Mirrors

I can see the validity of both arguments...A) proper stance and posistion when shooting in front of a mirror and B) not being concerned on how I will be graded or perceived when in a [I]real life scenario. From Three Feathers perspective I can see how training in front of a mirror would be like shadow boxing....you want the technique to be perfected for those [I]real life situations. And for RAMROD not worrying about how he looks in a real situation. Both carry validity and unfortunatley we are "graded" to some extent when we HIT or MISS our intended target! And I definitely agree with using the mirror to practice my draws...... Just a thought.
    Last edited by TACSWAT; December 10th, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adding content

I warning for the new guys. Please double check that the gun is unloaded and mag in another room. I know somebody with years of experience and let a round go thru the mirror scared the heck out of the wife.

Well, my previous post was made without seeing the big picture. I understand completely now, and feel a bit silly for it. But I have learned something new, and for what it's worth, that makes for a good day. With that said, I can now feel somewhat embarrassed as to my reply, and realize that I don't seem to have enough time, or pay attention to what I should when it becomes available.

Guys I honestly love everyone here. There just isn't a better group of folks anywhere.
    But,
    Mirroring means to do everything with your non dominate hand that you do with the dominant hand.
    At Mas's advanced instruction which used to be LFI II and III, he has everyone shoot the entire course with the non dominant hand. With practice you will be shocked at how well you do.

But, USING a mirror is another really good way to train and I thnk we need another thread on it.

Sponsor
    Bryce and Jordan used to spend quite a few hours in front of a mirror practicing their draw strokes. They became very dangerous men for their efforts.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, my previous post was made without seeing the big picture. I understand completely now, and feel a bit silly for it. But I have learned something new, and for what it's worth, that makes for a good day. With that said, I can now feel somewhat embarrassed as to my reply, and realize that I don't seem to have enough time, or pay attention to what I should when it becomes available.
    Ill be the bigger man this time....

Mirror practice is a good tool.

But were you mirroring in front of the mirror?...... :-)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I am now.

Links