Things that draw attention....or should - Page 3

Things that draw attention....or should

This is a discussion on Things that draw attention....or should within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great points to ponder. Learn to LOOK for such things and many others. It's like a 'doorbell' to a potential crime, and do you 'notice' ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things that draw attention....or should

Great points to ponder. Learn to LOOK for such things and many others. It's like a 'doorbell' to a potential crime, and do you 'notice' when the doorbell rings at home?
    If you're out in public and the 'mental doorbell' rings...answer it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well if one screw or a NEW tag on my 1984 Ranger is iffy, Then my truck
    would fit the bill, & as far as my wife driving me around is cause she don't
    like me moving seat,mirrors,wheell Well you can always
    run the tag & it will come back in her name & mine As far as
    lisence we both have safe driving, & yes there is a firearm on me &
    one in the glove box (LEAGAL) Knock on wood I have no
    tickets in 25 years Good luck on your traffic Detail & Be Safe
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

_Seeing only 1 single scenario that he mentions may be a coinky-****, but say for instance the license plate/bumper sticker red flag accompanied by 2 males cruising together at night. These 2 redflags combine to cause an officer or civilian looking to avoid trouble to say "This just does not look right!", and take proper steps/precautions from there.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Not sure why d-i-n-k- is sensored?
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey y'all: All of the scenarios for a reason to be suspicious and a reason to be prepared eventually come down to common sense. I think that is why many of us freely discuss everything we do in this forum so that by reading what everyone says and what everyone responds to we gain a little more knowledge that will 1) keep us out of trouble, and 2) provide us with the ability to know what to do, when to do it and how to do it. Thank you mercop for an insightful LEO perspective on scenarios that we, as serious defensive carry individuals, should also be aware of.

Hustle, PM a MOD and ask, could be because it is a kinda close to another word, althought THAT word can also be a name.... I dont know though, like i said, Ask a Moderator.

GREAT posts by MERCOP, gets you thinking more and more about SA.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

We profile everyday all day long at the car rental company wether over the phone or in person. Sorry to say when somebody calls over the phone and ask "Yo what kinda hoopdies to running up in that joint? You gots them 300ms? You all rent for cash money? YOU WILL NOT BE RENTING one of my rental cars. That my friends in trouble looking for a place to happen. Don't care if you are younge or old,White,Black,Asia,Indian,or from another planet have cash credit card or debit card, we do not rent to dumb people!! Simple as that. If that is profiling so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey y'all: All of the scenarios for a reason to be suspicious and a reason to be prepared eventually come down to common sense. I think that is why many of us freely discuss everything we do in this forum so that by reading what everyone says and what everyone responds to we gain a little more knowledge that will 1) keep us out of trouble, and 2) provide us with the ability to know what to do, when to do it and how to do it. Thank you mercop for an insightful LEO perspective on scenarios that we, as serious defensive carry individuals, should also be aware of.
    I just do not see where someone's shoddy tag fastening to their vehicle, a woman driving a man around or two guys going out to grab a beer has any effect on my level of self awareness. Unlike some, I do not subscribe to the whole "might have to kill every person you meet mentality".

With that said, I do believe in a high level of self awareness, and I advocate that we all should try to be aware of any reasonable possible threats. But, I am not personally hunting for bad guys to engage with. However,I understand LEO's must actively seek out the BG's .

Mercops post is thought provoking, no one said we all had to agree 100% of the time.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I think some of the particulars of his post apply more to LEO's than Joe "gun carrying" Citizen. I also believe that the susbstance of the post is to pick out things that dont "belong" given time of day, area of town, surroundings, normal rythm etc.

All in all, very good post - I will be looking forward to more!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Mercop: You're on the right track. Keep up the intelligent methods. As you know, they'll help keep you alive and whole. We need more like you. A tip o' the hat, kind sir.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    If that is profiling so be it.
    Profiling: systematic attempt to recognize patterns and indicators and their potential applicability as clues to the puzzle.

Naivete: failure to believe the Tooth Fairie is fantasy, that crime exists in the world, that predators are on the hunt for the naive and unaware, or that profiling can't help protect even the naive and unaware.

Irrelevancy: Concern that going through life with eyes wide open is a sin, that being on the watch for warning signs of danger is an invalid (incorrect) task in our lives, or that politics has anything to do with it ... now, that concern is an irrelevancy. Live your life, keep your eyes wide open and your "left" up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Naivete: failure to believe the Tooth Fairie is fantasy, that crime exists in the world, that predators are on the hunt for the naive and unaware, or that profiling can't help protect even the naive and unaware.

Irrelevancy: Concern that going through life with eyes wide open is a sin, that being on the watch for warning signs of danger is an invalid (incorrect) task in our lives, or that politics has anything to do with it ... now, that concern is an irrelevancy. Live your life, keep your eyes wide open and your "left" up.

I do not think anyone is saying that there is not a criminal element looking for victims of opportunity . I am just not a big fan of coercion or unjustifiable paranoia by LEO or civilians!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

VIP Member
    I think this is a great post, and just as the OP has stated its the totality of circumstances, and experience that lends credence to these observations. If it's profiling so be it, I personally have little issue with profiling done with a measure of common sense.

Hi folks, first post here but have been reading and learning for a few months now. Dr Walter Williams has a great view on profiling..if a tiger is at your front door, you don't open the door. He may be the kindest, gentlest tiger ever to walk the planet, but the consequences of him not being gentle outweigh the risk. I don't see the OP advocating making me eat cement if my wife happens to be driving or if me and a buddy are out and about, but we shouldn't be surprised if it raises an LEO's suspicion. In fact I'd rather have a cop paying attention to these things and be momentarily inconvenienced if it means he goes home to momma and the kids or gets a BG off the streets and away from me, mine and my stuff. It is your right to look like a gangbanger, skinhead, all around creep--to each his own. But don't be surprised and "outraged" if it illicites certain responses from those you come in contact with, whether you are up to no good or not. Same applies. Just my $.02.

Read Gavin deBecker's The Gift of Fear.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Notice everything. That is what they drilled into me in Southeast Asia. Notice everything. I was there a lot from 1970 to 1975. Just from those few years that long ago, I am still alert in my environs.

Notice everything. Make it a habit. I think that is the point the OP is illustrating with examples from his experience. It is good advice.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links