Things that draw attention....or should - Page 4

Things that draw attention....or should

This is a discussion on Things that draw attention....or should within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am gratefull for this information. Not having any tactical experience, getting advice on things to be aware of is exaclty why I am on ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things that draw attention....or should

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I am gratefull for this information. Not having any tactical experience, getting advice on things to be aware of is exaclty why I am on this forum. And for those who don't seem to like the profiling of the OP, he never said that any or even all of the items mentioned would make him pull that car over, he just said it is cause for further attention and awareness. I am all for LEOs being aware of everything.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Notice everything. That is what they drilled into me in Southeast Asia. Notice everything. I was there a lot from 1970 to 1975. Just from those few years that long ago, I am still alert in my environs.

Notice everything. Make it a habit. I think that is the point the OP is illustrating with examples from his experience. It is good advice.
    Thank you for your service!

It is one thing for a "civilian" with no arrest powers to notice everything and decrease their risk of an assault. It is a different situation for a soldier in a combat zone who has to go on the offensive and engage combatants. LEO's operate under similar circumstances as a soldier in a combat zone...they also have to use offensive tactics to engage bad guys.

It is only my two cents...but there is a big difference between righteous Law enforcement and coercion.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
    Last edited by AWDeanSr; December 20th, 2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: zombie ate my brain
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Mercop, thanks for your sound advice on your life/experiences. We are better off for it.

AWDeanSr, you've got to admit, your first post came off sounding, well, like you were slamming Mercop for his point of view. I think that's why you're encountering a little "resistance" to your responses. Try to warm up a bit and be a bit more tolerant to others' life lessons shared, and think about who you may be talking to, and what they've been through. If you don't think you can respond in an honest yet polite manner, then maybe don't respond at all. I don't think that's the kind of banter this forum welcomes, and I'll let the moderator correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Just sayin'.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

Quote Originally Posted by golfnguns View Post
    Mercop, thanks for your sound advice on your life/experiences. We are better off for it.

AWDeanSr, you've got to admit, your first post came off sounding, well, like you were slamming Mercop for his point of view. I think that's why you're encountering a little "resistance" to your responses. Try to warm up a bit and be a bit more tolerant to others' life lessons shared, and think about who you may be talking to, and what they've been through. If you don't think you can respond in an honest yet polite manner, then maybe don't respond at all. I don't think that's the kind of banter this forum welcomes, and I'll let the moderator correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Just sayin'.
    With all due respect, I do believe I have responded in an honest and polite manner....
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Go in peace, brother.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

I read this thread when it first came out but was gone for the last few days.... Everything Mercop and others have said is very true. Every traffic stop my department makes is logged, you can pull it up by make of car, time of day, age or the sex of the driver, or passengers. So any pattern of stops can be checked. Most of my work is at at night time so 95% of the time one can not tell what you are getting till the car is stopped. I went over my last 10 stops where a female is driving with a male passenger, 8 had the male with a suspended/revoked license or had been drinking and was over the limit or close. One thing here, being a little more rural then most whe have a lot of trucks and others without a working LP lights, so we seldom make this stop unless something else pings the meter.

My take on this point......

Mercop wrote, 'driving around', referring to two men, etcetera. I do not speak for Mercop, but I believe the intention is not that seing two men driving past, or obviously heading somewhere, is the characteristic referred to here.

I rather think that the point of that statement is when the 'two' are seen more than on one pass in a certain area, seemingly without a certain destination. Hence the use of the term, 'driving around', i.e.,'cruising'. Please, Mercop, is my assessment correct, sir?

p.s. I scanned all but did not detail read all posts. If this point has been addressed, my apologies!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Right on all counts. When you watch a movie over and over you learn to anticipate what comes next.- George

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I think his whole post screams of SA, know what is around you.
    That is exactly what I take from mercop's post, and I think it is excellent. Common wisdom (and common sense, for that matter) is that situational awareness is the cornerstone of a self defense system. For a civilian, it can help one avoid the vast majority of physical confrontations one may encounter. The thing I like about mercop's post is that it gives me some exercises I can practice to enhance my own situational awareness.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Excellent post, Mercop, thank you. You sound a lot like the officer I did my ride along with. He just came from the Interstate Drug Interdiction Unit, so he was all about watching drivers and looking for things that just didn't feel right. He told me also that people who suddenly stiffen up, or appear to be on their best behavior but won't make eye contact when passing a police vehicle are the ones that tend to be up to something. A simple head nod, eye contact, smile, wave of acknowledgment when you see an officer in a marked car usually means you have nothing to hide. According to him, anyhow.

I love your posts, Mercop. Very informative. Keep 'em coming, please :)

Also -- I fall into those. Mr. Bunny is night blind and SUPPOSED to wear corrective lenses, but rarely does. So it's usually me driving. And we only have the one vehicle, which is a total soccermom-mobile, complete with a cowgirl sticker in the rear! lol
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

This is great stuff and one of the main reasons I come on here--to learn.

Tag lights are a great pretext stop.- George
    Aren't pretext stops illegal? ( I'm asking because I really don't know)

Officer , I do not consent to any searches

Officer am I free to go

Officer, I do not wish to answer any questions or make any statements.

Learn it, live it, love it

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Things to ponder for sure, but always remember there are as it was mentioned here exceptions to the rules. I also drive in my wifes car a lot and some of the other things mentioned can go either way.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    I believe he said

That is a very vague statement, to my understanding that leaves the decision to "spot check" as a subjective evaluation by the LEO. (arbitrary:contingent solely upon one's discretion)

As I stated before, I have no idea what cops put up with on a day to day basis. I also believe that profiling is often a "good" thing. My problem is, after reading the NC General Statutes, It seems a LEO can find an infraction whenever he or she wants to.
    That's funny that your interpretation and mine are so completely different. Possibly we come from to complete walks of life. I am too a libertarian and I have a healthy paranoia of police officers doing the wrong thing just because they can (the bad one's really screwed it up for the good one's), but I still read it as "it got my attention that I needed more information about this particular car". I assumed he would just observe a bit more until a few more pieces fell into place. As he said, and the naysayers completely ignore, it is the totality. All the pieces adding up to the truth of the matter.

As for your states code allowing for LEO's to stop for most anything, that is probably true of all states. Everything is a crime now and nobody could possibly know all the laws. Given enough time, a LEO will observe you breaking something.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Three days a week, I carpool with another man, in the dark. We work 12 hour shifts, with nearly an hour drive on each side. It's a sad world if that is an excuse for a fishing expidition by PD.

I work in the car biz, drive a ton, and am secure enough to let my sweetie drive while I ride on the right side. Sorry I profile out as a felon for being tired of cars.

Every now and then, my sweetie's Jeep all girled up with stuffed animals is the easiest car to take to the store when I need bread or milk in a pinch, so just taze me on sight, ok?

And oddly enough, one of the five vehicles at the house has the tag held on by zip ties, because the bumper is so queer. But, I would challenge anyone who would profile me for any of these sins to compare driving records, pee tests, or background checks with me.
    You've just fallen in the "that's BS because I do that too" bin. There are exceptions to every rulle and that is why most LEO's will hang out and see what else it is about you that doesn't fit. After a bit, I'm sure he would see that you are not one of those he is looking for. At no time did he say he would pull someone over for just one of these issues. Hell maybe you had a good reason wy your license is zip tied (bolts rusted and you were going to get new ones?). He said it was items of interest. Things that got his attention.

I don't understand why some people here are getting so bent out of shape. Hell I think you're guilty just because you're so defensive. Honest men wouldn't get so worked up.. would they?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links