Training for semi-handicap

This is a discussion on Training for semi-handicap within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know how else to word the title,I do get around pretty good,but I couldn't run away from anything if my life depended on ...

Thread: Training for semi-handicap

I don't know how else to word the title,I do get around pretty good,but I couldn't run away from anything if my life depended on it.
    Arthritis,Arrhythmia problems, and now a disc in my lower back and a torn ligament in my left leg.
    Who would have firearms training for someone like me,I can move but not good all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    I don't know how else to word the title,I do get around pretty good,but I couldn't run away from anything if my life depended on it.
    Arthritis,Arrhythmia problems, and now a disc in my lower back and a torn ligament in my left leg.
    Who would have firearms training for someone like me,I can move but not good all the time?
    I would think that any reputable trainer would be able to accomodate you.

My advice would be to work with what you have, physical limitations included, as that's how you will find yourself when it goes down for real. I suggest that you call and talk or Email the various trainers you are considering and discuss this with them. Not all of us are 25, single and in great shape, although I have kept my Atlas appearing body in my dreams.

Biker

training

I also live in upstate NY, also suffer from MS I have trained at Thunder Ranch,Shootrite,Firebase Phoenix and GPS Sniper school, all these are great, the only thing I do is step off the line after making sure my gun is holstered or safe, I always advise the instructor that this may happen in movement drills, many times during a break I may ask the instructor for a few minutes to do the drill at my speed. I have never had a turn down by an instructor for this. The schools I mention don't have running etc. I no longer train to go to Viet nam but believe we as gun toters should train regularly with a pro instructor. Good luck....John If you want any other info contact me at jhowe@roadrunner.com

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    In Febuary I will begin to instruct wounded warriors at Ft. Huachuca. I've been working on drills from wheelchairs, using canes, crutches, etc. I'm sure biker and others will vouch for
    me. I'll gladly share anything I can with you.

You would be welcome in any of my classes. I have a private student who is in a chair and several who use canes. I would suggest you add a cane to your overall plan. The biggest danger to you is not getting shot, stabbed, or robbed but knocked down. There best thing to do to guard against falling or being knocked down is doing your best to be up against a vertical surface if confronted. Think walls and cars.

Learn to use a cane in your strong hand but transfer it to your reaction side hand before drawing a pistol. A cane in the hand also sends a message. Get two and keep one next to the front seat of your car if you forget your primary.- George

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    In Febuary I will begin to instruct wounded warriors at Ft. Huachuca. I've been working on drills from wheelchairs, using canes, crutches, etc. I'm sure biker and others will vouch for
    me. I'll gladly share anything I can with you.
    Threefeathers,
    Do you have a facility in or around Sierra Vista? I am looking into taking classes locally (Tucson or Sierra Vista), if you teach the public I would be interested in more information.

Thanks,

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    bikerRN e-mailed me about you wanting instruction. Of course, I train folks, normally I prefer to train folks like biker and Tor and let them train beginners, but for folks on this forum I'll assist however I can.
    I M or e-mail me.

Sponsored Links