Is a marksmanship/firearm handling course necessary?

This is a discussion on Is a marksmanship/firearm handling course necessary? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HC -- Great Minds Think Alike? :)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a marksmanship/firearm handling course necessary?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    HC -- Great Minds Think Alike? :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Thanks guys. The basic course you all seem to be mentioning sounds like same type class I have information on. I will make sure to look into the other couses yall mentioned as well.

I dont know much about the instructor's I mentioned credentials. I will make sure that when I do take this type of course it will be with an NRA instructor. The gentleman I was recommended may have been, but I was not sure.

Thank for everything guys! Still looking for some local recommendations if anyone has anything for me.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Quote Originally Posted by HUSTLEnomics View Post
    I dont know much about the instructor's I mentioned credentials. I will make sure that when I do take this type of course it will be with an NRA instructor. The gentleman I was recommended may have been, but I was not sure.
    Would you mind posting the name? Maybe somebody here can give you info on them.

Just because a person is "NRA Certified" doesn't mean they're good at what they do, so it'll be to your advantage to shop around.

Could you call the local PD and ask them for recommendations on instructors?
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

James Skelly of BULLSEYE Range and Guns

The website has no detailed info on the instructor, but lists price info, etc.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

I guess nobody recognizes this guy

I'll ask you this... How important is it to you that you be the one who lives through the encounter? and,

How important is it to you that you remain out of prison, should you actually survive your encounter?

There are those who spend a lifetime studying lethal force, firearms, marksmanship, gunfight tactics and come away knowing that they don't know everything there is to know, but confident enough that what they have learned in their training will hopefully carry the day if they are ever involved in a gunfight. They however, strive to continue to learn more and become better.

And there are those who pretty much fly by the seat of their pants and hope for the best.

Most of us, pretty much fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

There is a term I tend to use often which is... "You don't know, what you don't know" which loosely means, if you've never been exposed to, learned, or been given critical information that is needed to do something, then you don't even know that you are lacking said information.

Regardless of the topic or subject matter... Until you've had the ability to obtain or attend any sort of professional training, you have no idea just what lack in understanding what it takes to survive a gunfight. This is especially true when it comes to gunfight tactics or understanding the laws and rules of lethal force.

So it all boils down to just what exactly is your life worth to you?

As a goal, I would recommend that you get some sort of professional training at your earliest opportunity. A good beginning handgun course, maybe followed by an intermediate handgun course would be a decent short term goal. Then I would look into a defensive tactics course and go from there.

There are a lot of people, who are willing, and will spend a thousand dollars on a tricked out defensive handgun with several hundred more on accessories and holsters and will absolutely refuse to spend $500 on a decent handgun course or defensive tactics class.

There's no law that says any of that is required...

It's all determined by that one question, "How important is it that you be the one who lives?"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hustle, bottom line ... only because of the range time you've had to date, I say take the CHL course NOW & train later, I'll explain below. A ton of great suggestions in this thread that I would follow, but I would flip the itinerary. First, the range time you have to date will be adequate experience to pass the "range accuracy" portion of the CHL test with flying colors, don't sweat it. Big target, close distances (I don't remember the exact sequence), your Glock will practically be on auto-pilot as to accuracy.

Your CHL instructor expects all students to have had some range time / experience with their firearm PRIOR to the CHL class (you have), and will emphasize that it's not his job, nor the time or place for handgun basics 101, but at the same time will spend 10-15 minutes with the class just before "range time" on basic stance & grip technique that will be expected & checked during the accuracy test. YOU'LL DO FINE, IT'S EASY, DO IT NOW! There may be a waiting list for classes, so start calling around immediately & get your class scheduled ASAP.

Don't lament over who your CHL instructor will be or should be. It's not your CHL instructor that you need to feel warm & fuzzy about, but rather your SD / handgun instructor that you'll search out later & develop a relationship with. All you need from a CHL instructor is that you can put up with him / her for 1 day (mine was great), & that he / she is licensed by the state, authorized to conduct CHL classes & certify the results of your CHL tests.

On to why I say take the CHL first & NOW! Get the clock ticking ASAP on the 4 month "CHL waiting period" that it will take from submitting your application until your CHL arrives in the mail box. Don't delay or push back that CHL window with hand gun training & courses first, but rather take the CHL course NOW! The longer the delay in submitting your application, the arrival of your CHL is delayed equally. There are some great YouTube video clips on handgun basics, stances, grips etc. that may be helpful for a quick brush up before the class.

After mailing your application, utilize your waiting period to get as much training as you can / want / need, but don't stop there. 50 more rounds down range to qualify for your CHL class using improper technique today will not make you un-coachable & won't be anything that can't be corrected in a training course next week or next month. Seek out a handgun training / self defense instructor & courses from research, recommendations, references, etc. that meet your needs. With some training under your belt in the interim, you'll be good to go when your CHL arrives in April.

Also, I highly recommend a "package CHL class" that for the class fee ($120 when I took it 4/09), also includes your fingerprinting, passport photos, all affidavits, notary service, etc. When you walk out of the CHL class, all paperwork is filled out, signed, & notarized in a complete packet. All you have to do is insert your money order, seal, apply postage, write your return address & drop in the mail. You are also correct in assuming the CHL class fee is separate from the state application fee ($125.00 non-refundable in 4/09, heard nasty rumors that it may have gone up since then).

I'm in your area & I took such a class from DFW Gun Range on Mockingbird (DFW Gun Range - Training Center and Retail Firearms Store - Dallas, TX), only because it's 3 blocks from my office, the "package" service they offer, I drive by their store front daily, & they've been around for years. I have no affiliation with them, other than that's where I took my course, & where I will likely take my CHL renewal course when the time comes. They are a "Glock House", so you 2 should bond instantly. This is their forte', they know what they're doing & what it takes to meet state requirements, this is what they do, & they do it right. There are many others out there that provide the same service. My application processing took 15 weeks from mailbox to mailebox, with no snags or re-submissions. The state requires the course be a minimum of 10 hours, mine went from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on a Saturday, 21 students, half male / female. I apologize for the lengthy response, but hope it's helpful. Good Luck, stay safe, & keep us posted ... you'll do fine.
    Last edited by KimBobTex; December 23rd, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'll ask you this... How important is it to you that you be the one who lives through the encounter? and,

How important is it to you that you remain out of prison, should you actually survive your encounter
    Two of the most important questions to answer for yourself.

There are those who spend a lifetime studying ... and come away knowing that they don't know everything there is to know ... They however, strive to continue to learn more and become better.
    That is one of the simplest and most important lessons in this world. The "best" continue to learn, since it's not possible to know how much is enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well guys, I have not had as much range time as you may think. Trust me, my shooting is not very good. I went to the DFW Gun Range and let off a few rounds and the guy behind the counter assured me that passing the shooting portion of the CHL exam would be easy....then he saw my target, and said on second thought you might need to do a bit of practice. He gave me the scenario that is used in qualifying so that I could practice it on my own.

This tells me that if the instructor sees that I need some more training/practice that I should really consider learning proper technique/mechanics so that I will not take the chance that I will flunk my shooting portion and yet delay processing because of my lack of shooting accuracy. I just want to find a instructor that can get me in a range for a hour or 2 and show me my flaw, tell me how to correct it, and send me down the right path. I can get extensive training later. My focus now is bringing myself up to par on acuracy needed to pass the shooting portion.

I checked around and found that most classes are filled until January! I hoped I could get some training in with a good instuctor before that so I can be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by HUSTLEnomics View Post
    I checked around and found that most classes are filled until January! I hoped I could get some training in with a good instuctor before that so I can be ready.
    It's December 23rd. That's hoping for a lot.

Check your local sheriff or police department. Ask for one of the best firearms instructors, to see if that person would be up for one or more 3-6hrs sessions of deep-dip prior to the end of the year. A bit of extra cash around the holidays might be worthwhile to someone. Multiple benefits from that: you get known in the department; you get decent instruction in a manner not often available in your own town; you get it earlier than the better-known courses, which can be booked months in advance. Something to consider.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

January 5th is the earliest I've been able to find for a appointment with an instructor to help me. The instructor said that he could let me know upon intial evaluation of my shooting ability if I should go forward with CHL class enrollment or continue with more practice. He seemed to be of the same opinion of you all that I should not have trouble passing the CHL shhoting portion. I know practice makes perfect, but practing the wrong mechanics in shooting can lead to imperfection/inaccuracy at the range.

Here's a fantastic video from Todd Jarrett to get you started. Watch it a few times and pay close attention to exactly what he's saying - especially about the crystal clear front sight, that's where the bullet is going. You should also get some snap caps (dummy rounds) and practice dry firing. Make absolutely, positively there are no live rounds in your firearm, magazine, or even the room during dry fire practice. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info about this. Here's a link to the texas ccw qual to see what you need to do to qualify.
    KimBobTex has some great advice on the order of things.
    I'll give another vote for the NRA class - 8 hrs of instruction on gun safety, handling, cleaning, etc for about $100 vs. the 2 hrs the other guy is offering.

__Yes, I do find that $100 dollars to go a bit further with the NRA class. I've found them as cheap as $85 but classes are not in Dallas & are a month or longer off. I willbe sure to take this class, as well as some of the other classes mentioned regarding SD & home saftey etc. All seem to be something that I need to get under my belt. I just want to start getting my askills up so I can be ready to pass my CHL and get it processed ASAP. 4month wait is long enough, and I don't want to put it off any longer than necessary. Once I get that CHL class past me, I will focus on getting some of the other classes on my schedule.

__My oldest son is about 12, and starting to ask questions about me having & carrying a gun. I want to be able to have all the right answers. Today I let him know that we can't always assume we will be safe out there. It's our American right to lawfully carry a firearm, and it's my responsibility as a father & husband to be able to protect my family. In some cases a firearm may be necessary to do this. His worries seem more geared toward worries of illegal carry/usage of firearms, rather than the way a law abiding citizen will handle themselves. He kinda lumps it all together. As my oldest I hope to educate him on things first and eventually my toddlers. They have already been taught that they are to never touch a gun if the see it, and to notify adult immidiately if they see someone with one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links