The snow shovel - a parable

This is a discussion on The snow shovel - a parable within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bill hears there is a huge snowstorm coming. He just recently became a homeowner and was caught off guard last time there was snow. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The snow shovel - a parable

The snow shovel - a parable

Bill hears there is a huge snowstorm coming. He just recently became a homeowner and was caught off guard last time there was snow. He had no shovel at all and could not find one anywhere. This time things are going to be different. See Bill is a man, and even though he may not have a lot of experience with shoveling snow he realizes that what he needs is the best damn snow shovel money can buy. He goes to Home Depot early and gets the most high-speed snow shovel he can find. It is expensive but in the long run it will make it so much easier to deal with any snow that comes his way.

Bill goes home and proudly places his purchase next to the door and awaits the snowfall. In a few hours it begins, the inches begin to pile up. Instead of going out when there is only a few inches of snow on the ground he waits because he knows with his shovel he can handle it a little deeper. Eventually there is about 10 inches on the ground and Bill decides to break out his new tool.

It is only a few days before Christmas and Bill's wife Jessica is pregnant with their first child, a little boy. The reason for wanting to shovel the driveway is for Jessica, not Bill. Bill has a big ol SUV and could drive it through snow banks if he chose too. Jessica only has a little car that slides a bit, and he does not want her to fall when she gets home. As a man he knows it is his job to protect her and be there for her no matter what. He is a little anxious because she could be due any day; she is stopping by her Mom's on the way home and will call him if she needs him.

Bill gets dressed up in his full winter garb, it is not what he wears everyday and is kinda uncomfortable but he is not sure how long he will be out. He slips puts is IPHONE in his chest pocket of his heavy winter jacket in case Jessica calls while he is out. He opens the garage and starts his mission. He begins to think that maybe he should have started earlier, now the show plows have pushed a huge pile right up against his driveway. He wants Jessica to be able to pull in so he starts shoveling. His feet are kinda sore because he is not use to the boots or the socks, his glasses are fogging up under his hat, but he continues to shovel feverishly. The one thing his is happy about is that his shovel with the bent handle and all is working well.

All of a sudden his IPHONE rings, he drops his shovel and tries to remove it from his pocket. The problem is that the phone is to far down and he cannot reach it with his gloves on. He bends over a little bit and kinda of shakes a little bit to wiggle the phone out. All of a sudden it slips out and slips into the deep snow bank made by the plow. Bill is all worked up, uncomfortable, constricted, and sweaty. Anxious to answer his wife's call. What if it is the baby, what if she had an accident? He takes his shovel and begins to dig for his IPHONE. On the second shovel full, the handle slips out of the shovelhead. The phone stops ringing and Bill gets even more upset. He takes the shovel and tries to reinsert the handle into the head, several times. He become frustrated and stomps his foot and hears the distinct sound of an electronic device being crushed between a winter boot and pavement.

Poor Bill, he thought that having the best shovel was going to make up for his lack of shoveling prowess. So much so that he ignored the accumulating snow. After all he had his truck to fall back on right?

Snow shoveling is not something most of us do everyday. Working in clothes you only wear for these special events can lead to frustration, especially carrying things in different places. Then trying to get to them with gloves on makes it even worse.

Guess Bill also didn't count on the snowplow making things worse by piling the snow up. Nothing worse than people with good intentions get in your way and make things worse at the worst possible time. Bill was not happy about it but his new shovel should have been able to handle it.

When he needed that shovel more than ever it failed him. He was in disbelief and sure did focus on that shovel instead of trying another way to find that phone huh?

The crazy thing is that main purpose of the shovel was to make things safer for Jessica. But it turned out to be Bill concentrating on the task at hand and the tool he was using to do it to with that took the focus off of being in communication with Jessica.

Maybe after dropping the phone the shovel was not the best choice to dig with anyway, then after it broke maybe instead of becoming flustered Bill should have just used his gloved hands to move away the snow. Strange to consider having to move even a little bit of snow with your hands when you have a tool designed to take care of the snow. Heck, maybe he could have even just stuck the shovel in the spot where the phone fell and gone back into the house to call Jessica.

Have to wonder in his state of panic what Bill ended up doing? I wonder if Jessica broke down, her water broke, or she was just calling to say she was on her way? We will never know. - George

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Sounds like Bill needs a little training and practice with his shovel, we just had a storm go through maybe he could come out to my place and get in some practice.

Also, we might want to let Bill know he needs more than one tool, a shovel is a good tool, but a light snow can be swept off, a deeper snow might require a snow thower or a tractor.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Note to those with little shoveling experience:

-move it ASAP, before it starts to become ice.
    -shovel slow and steady
    -if you hear the snow plow coming, run and move your car ASAP
    -50 pounds of salt is a lot cheaper than a broken wrist and a lawsuit.
    - if the plow berms you in, use a saw to cut it into blocks Eskimo style, then remove them. (like and old rusty crosscut saw)

If the road is icy, wet/freezing, or more than a few inches of snow on the ground STAY HOME (or take the bus)!

Happy holidays!
    Attached Images
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Wanna make sure everyone realizes this is not really about shoveling snow...just saying.- George

I got the symbolism.

Very Nice and a great way of explaining to people the importance of training with your weapons and situations and always having a back up plan.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Sometimes you have to use you head first because the shovel (gun) is not your only tool.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Wanna make sure everyone realizes this is not really about shoveling snow...just saying.- George
    It is fairly obvious. It just so happened to be snowing...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Here too, that is why I wrote it:)

Thumbs up Tools

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    It is fairly obvious. It just so happened to be snowing...
    Here too, that is why I wrote it:)
    So what ya'll are really saying that you're staying inside neglecting the snow moving responsibilities.........

Me too!

Good parable!
    As someone once said about some of those that heard His parables, "They have ears, but they do not hear."

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    So what ya'll are really saying that you're staying inside neglecting the snow moving responsibilities.........

Me too!
    That's what wives are for!

Mrs. Nutz:

I ask again... What is this "snow" that you all speak of?

LOL.... Just kidding... I had my days of shoveling, and figured out it wasn't for me! I moved back South where we don't have that issue. It was nice yesterday, and should be 68* today!
    Once again Christmas in shorts and a t-shirt..... I look forward to it every year!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I grew up with guns, and shovels, now cumputers, thats the analogy that works for me.lol. Its still way smarter. Dont know how to use it properly, in a emergency, I am in trouble. Unfortunatly to many people arent prepared,

Hey, if your only tool is a hammer, all your problems start to resemble NAILS!
    "Come Watson, the game is afoot!"

Administrator

Wink

Oh I get it.
    Your real point that you're trying to make is that he probably should have gone out and bought a gasoline powered snow thrower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links