The Mental Aspect of the Fight - Page 2

The Mental Aspect of the Fight

This is a discussion on The Mental Aspect of the Fight within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the thread, Roger. I remember my first deer hunt. Would I be able to shoot? Would I be able to overcome a pounding ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Mental Aspect of the Fight

VIP Member
    Thanks for the thread, Roger. I remember my first deer hunt. Would I be able to shoot? Would I be able to overcome a pounding heart and cold hands to shoot straight. Do I take the aspirin before or after "buck fever?" Her dad brought out a box of cartridges. Only seven remained. "I've had these thirteen years and got thirteen deer." he said. How could I possibly measure up? I felt it was my duty. Besides, my new wife had just bought me a 12" Bowie for the gutting. It was time to man up.

First comes the mindset. I am going to win. I am going to study all there is to know about the enemy. I am going to choose the best tools for the purpose. Thirty dollars was a lot of money back then for a surplus 303 Brit. I am going to learn how to use that tool. I played rifle aerobics until it felt part of me. I worked on trigger management. I hand loaded several hundred rounds and set up targets on a power line. Then I practiced snap shooting, all the while visualizing a trophy buck to make any father-in-law proud.

When the ball sudenly dropped, and time slowed, I didn't have time to worry about breathing or heartbeat. The mindset was "You are mine." The shot was perfect, as if made by some highly efficient killing machine. My father-in-law said that young forked buck was the tastiest he'd ever had.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    When it comes to "the mental aspect of the fight" think simple concepts.....not numerous techniques. Then apply common sense.

The Constants

Time
    Distance
    Urgency
    Position in the reactionary curve
    Necessary marksmanship

Known Variables, who are you?

Mission
    Duty
    Combative Perspective
    Mindset
    Knowledge
    Genetics
    Instincts
    Training
    Skill Level
    Limitations
    Strengths
    Weaknesses
    Physical ability
    Morality
    Legality

Unknown Variables

The rest of the situation....."the fight will be what the fight will be."

Get "the mental aspect of the fight" down and then train in what allows you to be the very best that you can be inside of the correct context of the fight.

This is going to require fluidity.

"Be like water."

Think about your response the last time someone jammed on their brakes in front of you.- George

It's about been beaten to death on here and elsewhere, but
    1. You never know how you will react WTSHTF until it happens.
    2. How you train is how you fight.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before. Going into combat, I was worried about how I would react the first time things went south. During my deployment I found that in the situations I had trained for, I reacted calmly and according to my training. My actions were automatic and saved my life and the life of my fellow Marines.

In the situations where I was unfamiliar and either hadn't trained, or things weren't addressed in our TTPs, I felt an internal sense of loss of control, and extreme fear. You want to act/react, but don't know what to do. Fortunately I had good small-unit leaders in the field to issue orders.

Application: When you're getting mugged, if you freeze up or don't know what to do, there won't be a salty Sgt there to give commands. Train now with FOF, get used to things NOT going as planned and vary the methods of attack and defense. Don't let your partner only come at you one way repeatedly. Get creative.

After we train hand-to-hand and CQB weapons techniques, we like to throw the students in the ring with an instructor who doesn't follow the "rules". They've mastered the techniques slow-motion and even up to full-speed, but that's with a compliant training partner who knows where they're supposed to strike and how they're supposed to fall. When we get them in the ring, we're teaching improvisation. The best way to learn a new defensive technique sometimes is to have to think up a solution on your own. If it doesn't work, don't keep trying to get it right. You'll only end up with technique-tunnel-vision, frustrated, tired, and eventually "killed" by the instructor. Transition to something else. Find something that works.

Mental preparation goes hand-in-hand with physical preparation and training.
    You can read a whole libray on construction. But you might want to build a saw-horse and a work-bench before you try to frame up a house. You'll learn to use your tools, and in the process will produce more tools for your ultimate goal. In our case, going home to our families.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links