Defensive (Combat) Accuracy

This is a discussion on Defensive (Combat) Accuracy within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Surprisingly, I don't see too much discussion on this subject even though I imagine that the majority of us here have a gun partly or ...

Thread: Defensive (Combat) Accuracy

Defensive (Combat) Accuracy

Surprisingly, I don't see too much discussion on this subject even though I imagine that the majority of us here have a gun partly or mainly for defensive purposes.

So, I tried to fill the gap a bit with an article I wrote on the subject. Marshall at Mouseguns.Com New Index agreed to kindly host it on his excellent site.

http://www.mouseguns.com/Defensive%2...20Accuracy.pdf

I know it would probably be better if it was just pasted in right here, but it contains a number of graphics that wouldn't work out too well here.

Hope it helps...
    Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Nice read! Just skimmed over it for now but its seems real logical and practical. Pictures are always nice for those of us who hate reading pages full of words. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

thanks for the effort very good graphical representations for those spatially impaired (my wife thanks you).
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Good article

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I too, just skimmed it for now, but it looks like a nice job!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Nicely done!

Bob,

This is an excellent compendium of information!

With credit to you I am going to bump this around to two other gunfu sites where I am moderator.
    Additionally I am going to forward it to some civilian specific instructors I know and a few students of my own.

Along the same subject matter I posted a similar compendium that I myself had put together as featured at this thread; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...917-post2.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I liked the article and such.

I did kind of get a kick out of Figure 5 & 6 where they point out poor selection or placement yet the intended target area was hit LOL, excuse me, but if my bullets find marks like those, I'm freakin happy as all get out.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Guardian,

Problem with fig 5. 'accuracy' though is that two rounds go errant and past the target into an unknown background ("too fast").
    At fig. 6 two to possibly three rounds (cheek)go errant and past or through thin areas of the target into an unknown background ("poor accuracy").

Yes the target is hit in the end by volume but what if those two or three errant shots were your first and last shots fired?
    The shooter then has a serious problem and the target is not stopped. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Bob,

This is an excellent compendium of information!

With credit to you I am going to bump this around to two other gunfu sites where I am moderator.
    Additionally I am going to forward it to some civilian specific instructors I know and a few students of my own.

Along the same subject matter I posted a similar compendium that I myself had put together as featured at this thread; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...917-post2.html

- Janq
    Thanks for the link. Your stuff is always good Janq!

If you think the article is helpful please spread it around. The more people it can help the better!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Excellent post; very concise and informative.
    There is a lot of good information at:
    www.mouseguns.com

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Guardian,

Problem with fig 5. 'accuracy' though is that two rounds go errant and past the target into an unknown background ("too fast").
    At fig. 6 two to possibly three rounds (cheek)go errant and past or through thin areas of the target into an unknown background ("poor accuracy").

Yes the target is hit in the end by volume but what if those two or three errant shots were your first and last shots fired?
    The shooter then has a serious problem and the target is not stopped. :|

- Janq
    Oh I know Jang, I'm just making light of it. Not to take myself to serious all the time anymore, did that for 20 years. I figure from the point if I have to take that many shots, my life is in serious danger and their placement and the back settings would seriously take 2nd place to survival (though I would pray and try and ensure that my background is clear of innocent folks, but then, we can never really be sure, so it's all a matter of hoping and praying.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Great read and plenty of good info. Nicely done.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I love your article though I just skimmed it for now and saved it on my desktop for later sinking in when I have more time...thanks.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Links